Time Tunnel episode

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Will that include the "Raiders from Outer Space" episode? Apparently it's either missing, or damaged. When we were shown the whole series many years ago, we skipped that episode.

Sep 26, 2009
Here is a very small capture of the Titanic (Fox's 1953 film's model) from "Rendezvous With Yesterday". An interesting bit of trivia: When the Time Tunnel series ended, in the last episode, the two time travellers went back to the Titanic, meaning their adventures were in an endless loop! The special effects were changed to have TWO people travel through the multi-colored time warp to the Titanic. In the pilot, only ONE person (Tony) traveled to the Titanic's deck!

101531.jpg

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
"An interesting bit of trivia: When the Time Tunnel series ended, in the last episode, the two time travellers went back to the Titanic"

I think that was due to the fact they still had to put up an episode in the "next week on The Time Tunnel" section and with no new episodes shot, they had to just go back to repeats with #1.
happy.gif

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
"Will that include the "Raiders from Outer Space" episode?"

That's episode #29 in the series and hence would not appear until they do a second set with the rest of the episodes.

Feb 21, 2003
Well on January 24th 2006 Time Tunnel the series was released on a 2 DVD pack. Columbia House is not the one releasing this, but Fox Television. Included is both the unaired and the aired versions on the first episode "Rendezvous With Yesterday". The unaired version is quite different from the one that was shown on TV. I won't give out any spoilers but for 29.95 you will get some really great sci-fi!

Susan R.
Newberg, Oregon

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Glad to see you posting here again, Susan and glad you enjoyed the set!

I think in related info, there is a new DVD release of "One Step Beyond" coming out in a week or so but whether it contains its Titanic related episode (which co-stars Patrick Macnee, ironic since he was also in the Kraft production of ANTR as Andrews) I'm not yet sure. If it comes out then that would just leave the Titanic episode of "Voyagers" as the only significant one not yet on DVD.

Feb 24, 2004
Hi, Eric!

>>that would just leave the Titanic episode of "Voyagers" as the only significant one not yet on DVD.

Not quite:

"YOU ARE THERE"
(Walter Cronkite/30 minutes/weekly)

"THE SINKING OF THE TITANIC (April 14-15, 1912)"
First telecast: Sunday, May 22, 1955.

Patrick MacNee as Andrews? Interesting!

Roy

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Yes, though only in the Kraft production of ANTR, not in the "One Step Beyond" episode where he plays a fictional First Class passenger.

Feb 24, 2004
The first time I actually remember seeing MacNee was in "The Avengers" TV series.

And how many people remember that Bad, Bad David Warner ("Lovejoy" - boo! hiss!) appeared in "Tom Jones" as Master Blifil, with Albert Finney, Susannah York, et al? Or that Ian Holm (Bilbo!! Bilbo!!) appeared as a gay teen-fashion designer in "A Hard Day's Night"?

Roy

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
The funny thing is "Bad" David Warner I think of first as the nice guy who was Lawrence Beesley in "SOS Titanic", the doomed photographer in "The Omen" and Bob Cratchit in the George C. Scott version of "Christmas Carol" (in which the 1996 "Titanic's" Ismay, Roger Rees played Scrooge's nephew).

Feb 24, 2004
On the opposite side, there was The Evil Genius in "Time Bandits" and Dillinger/Master Control Program in "TRON," and as I mentioned, the sanctimonious (and snotty) little Bilfil in "Tom Jones." Actually, Warner's filmography is sooooo long that I suspect his loveable and despicable characters nearly balance each other out.

Roy

Feb 21, 2003
And something else, Ian Holm was in a very recent movie, The Day After Tomorrow with Dennis Quaid et al. He played Professor Rapson of the Hedland Center.

Thank you Eric for the welcome back.

Susan R.
Newberg, Oregon

Jan 29, 2001
Just last night, again, I was viewing my favorite Time Tunnel episode..."Rendevous With Yesterday", in regards to Titanic which aired 9-9-66. Myself, paying *more* attention to details this time around noticed the newspaper time traveller Doug brought with him to alarm Titanic's Cptn. of the impending event, was a N.Y. Hearald which featured a photo of Lusitania. Also, what really astonished me was, as Doug was seeking his friend Tony, he passed by the Harland & Wolff builders plaque! The plaque appearing precisely as the original did. I wonder who the historian was for that Titanic episode?

Therabouts 9-9-66 my, to-date, 42 yr. love affair
with TITANIC began! For as a 9-yr. old young man
The Time Tunnel & Lost in Space were my favorites, defacto still are!

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally a separate thread in the "Titanic Movies" topic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread about the Time Tunnel episode. MAB]

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
11 years is a long time to go between posts in a thread, but since then there's been a comprehensive book about the production history of "The Time Tunnel" TV series by Martin Grams, a leading TV historian. He notes that during the production of the pilot, ABC censors cautioned Irwin Allen about whether he'd "cleared the idea of impersonating Captain Smith and any others actually a part of the real story of the Titanic, particularly if they appear in a poor light." Grams theorizes this is the reason why the credits say, "Captain Malcolm Smith" instead of the correct name, and not because Allen and his researchers were stupid. It certainly would explain why all the other named Titanic crew is fictional (the officer "Mr. Grainger" who only now do I realize was played by Don Knight, the over-the-top villain of the short-lived 1971 sci-fi series "The Immortal").

Grams noted that during the research phase for the script, there were changes made in the name of accuracy elsewhere like correcting "Radio Room" to "Marconi Room" and he also mentions the builders plaque as something Allen came up with as part of the overall research process (without going into broader detail).

While there is a longer unaired version of the pilot that runs five minutes longer and was included in the DVD release, the actual initial cut was much longer and included an entire extra subplot aboard the Titanic featuring a character named Tabor, played by Dennis Hopper. The book isn't specific on the nature of Tabor's character, but evidently he was someone who was probably threatening Susan Hampshire. One scene of Hopper's has him being exposed by Tony and Doug as he tries to escape the ship dressed as a woman.

Also, had the pilot not sold, the intent was to then burn it off as a theatrical release, and this included an ending that would show Tony and Doug successfully returning! The footage shot of this has never surfaced and is presumed lost.

May 3, 2005
In a section on "Trivia" there is a "goofs" which states that the Captain states that there were "2300 on board". and this was in error since there some "3400 on board." Actually the goof is a goof since the 2300 is close to the actual number. Wonder how the goof on the goof went un-noticed ;-)

I remember seeing this many years ago but can't recall a lot of the details.
And my nook kept freezing up on the video and I didn't get to see the entire video

May 3, 2005
I managed to see most of the video on my nook after a bit of re-setting.
In the words of the late Bob Hope "Thanks for the memories !"
But I just couldn't help but notice "The Goof On The Goof" ! ;-)

This is just my idea of "Time Travel".....LOL
There may come a time when "Time Travel" becomes possible. ( Ouch ! Pardon the pun.....LOL)
You will only be able to observe but never be able to change history as that in which the "time travelers" were attempting. What would happen to Walter Lord's book and that 1997 movie ? They would suddenly just disappear ? LOL

Last edited: