Tipperary passengers Ryan and Tobin

M

Michael Kelly

I'm trying to look at a new angle on the story of my great great uncle William, which I've posted on the board. My grandmother tells me that while we aren't certain William was on board, we are fairly confident a friend of his from Tipperary was. This is why the story tells of a friend he may have accompanied on board.

According to Noel Ray's website, there are two males that would have been about the same age as William; Edward Ryan (a survivor) and Roger Tobin (who did not survive). Has anyone established the line of descendants or relatives from these two passengers? My idea is to contact their relatives to see if any stories about the disaster relate to any acquaintance named William.

Is it possible the crew allowed visitors of passengers to board briefly, giving someone an opportunity to hide themselves somewhere on the ship? Even if not, the idea that my family knew a passenger is interesting in itself.

Currently, my uncle who did the preliminary research on the family history, is contacting relatives in Boston who recall the story to lend further details.

Michael Kelly

Michael,
Senan Molony can tell you more about Tobin's family. While doing research for "The Irish Aboard Titanic" I tried in vain to find the son of Edward Ryan who lived in England--but had no success whatsoever.

Phillip

Michael,

Your family's story has gone through many metamorphoses... William Dwyer wasn't lost on the Titanic. No Kilkenny person was lost in a passenger liner shipwreck in 1912.

I mean are you still saying William Dwyer was lost at sea?
If not, what happened to him? Did he get to the States or not?
If you don't know, how can we?

If he just accompanied someone to Queenstown there would be no record. Hence unprovable.

Some press and no doubt a few hangers-on (but hangers-on with highly-placed connections locally!!) got to board the Titanic at Queenstown, but they did so by tender...

The liner was miles offshore. Passengers couldn't get on board the tender, let alone the ship, without a valid ticket. I am quite sure you're relative wasn't going to journey all the way from Kilkenny to Tipperary and thence to Queenstown just to see someone off... come on! that was a colossal journey in 1912.

Tobin and Ryan's stories have no connection with any William Dwyer.

To answer your question:

It is NOT possible that mere unticketed visitors were allowed a free sightseeing tour by tender from Deepwater Quay out to the anchorage of Roche's Point, and THEN allowed onto the vessel in order to stow away.

I quite see that these various difficulties inconvenience the family story. I look forward to hearing it when it's been tightened up. As for picking Tipperary passengers your ancestor might possibly have been friends with, I there is a real danger of clutching at straws.

Sorry to rain on the parade.