Titanic 1953

denise

Sep 26, 2010
Hi, did the real Titanic really have those annoying sirens as heard in the (1953) version, this sirens start sounding very shortly after the ship hits the iceberg, i enjoy the movie but those sirens are so bothersome. I hope the real passengers and crew did'nt have to go through that. Denise

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I'm afraid they did. When Titanic hit the berg she was going almost flat out. When the engines were stopped the steam in the boilers had to be let out and it made an unholy din. It was so loud that orders could not be heard and even inside in the radio room Phillips could not hear properly. I forget just when it stopped but it was well into proceedings. The actual fog horn was not used and possibly would have made less noise than the steam. I've not seen the 1953 movie but ANTR and Titanic 1997 both downplay the noise in order to have some audible dialogue, just as all the films are overlit so we can see the action. Not realistic, but that's cinema convention.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
If I may jump in here, I believe Denise is referring to the loud whining wail usually associated with the word 'siren' which was used in the '53 version of Titanic, not the sound of the steam venting or a foghorn, which lets out a low, sonorous sound. And, to the best of my research, there was no such siren on Titanic.

Best regards,
Cook

Beth

Apr 15, 2010
Hello Titanic fans, I was wondering if this version of Titanic was originally longer? i saw it on tv once and it seemed like it was much longer, than the movie I own now, anybody happen to know if there we're any scenes cut out of the film? much thanks Beth.

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Beth:
My Studio Classic version says 97 minutes, and according to "Leonard Maltin's 1998 Movie & Video Guide" it's about the same, 98 minutes. Maybe all the commercials made it last longer on TV.

B

Brenda Noel

Dear Denise,
Weren't those sirens just aweful!!!!! THe movie was okay but good Lord that was terrible. I believe that Walter Lord said that there were no sirens blown on that night just like Pat said. I assume it was like Lites a.k.a.(2nd Officer Charles Lightoller) said that it was steam from the funnels that made too much noise just like we saw in Mr.Cameron's movie.
Watch the movie "A Night to Remember." It's awesome!!! I can't believe it looked so realistic way back then. Even Eve Hart remarked about how the actual sinking looked just like it did in that movie...she should know.
Thanks, your Encyclopedia Titaica friend Brenda Noel

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Denise, for what it's worth, I think that ghastly whoopping siren was a bit of dramatic licence. Like the noise of explosions in space movies even though the hard vacuum of space make sound impossible. All the additions make for extra drama so producers go for it.

And yes, I would definately take Eva Hart as a credible source as to what the sinking looked like. She did have a boatside seat to the whole thing.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart