Titanic 1997 DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Has anyone else thought that i

Has anyone else thought that it is a shame how lame the DVD release of JC's 'Titanic' is? Just a trailer and little else by the way of extras-when we know there is SO much behind the scenes footage, so many deleted scens, etc etc. Okay so I've seen a lot of it elsewhere-TV specials, 'Explorer' CD-Rom etc-but it would have been nice to have a decent DVD release of the movie. Anyone know if a lovely extras-ridden special edition is ever going to appear?!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Mike, rumours about a "

Hi Mike, rumours about a "Directors cut" in the makes have been around for a very long time. So far, none appear to have any substance to them. The latest rumour I've heard is that one is going to be put together for release in 2012.

Mmmmmmm hmmmmmmm.

I'll believe it when I see it.
smoke.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
I wasn't expecting a '

I wasn't expecting a 'director's cut' version as such-Cameron is on record as saying we SAW the director's cut-but there is just so much material that could have made for an excellent, maybe 2-disc, extras-packed DVD package but instead we get zip. Shame!

May 5, 2001
By Mike Bull on Sunday, Februa

By Mike Bull on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 03:51 pm:

I wasn't expecting a 'director's cut' version as such-Cameron is on record as saying we SAW the director's cut-but there is just so much material that could have made for an excellent, maybe 2-disc, extras-packed DVD package but instead we get zip. Shame!

Hi All, it's been awhile but I just couldn't stay away from this one.......

Mikey Mikey Mikey, don't be so hard on yourself pal, let us not forget the ye olde "10th Anniversary SPECIAL EDITION DVD with additional footage added plus behind the scenes featurette and a 45 minute documentary, the making of "Titanic" and so much more...."

You know they'll come out with one.........just have patience.

May 5, 2001
By Kyrila Scully on Sunday, Fe

By Kyrila Scully on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 04:35 pm:

Oh, then we only have to wait five more years!

Yeah but Kyrila, if you have ever seen the scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor, it may be well worth the wait plus adding some "Making of...." specials that I have seen, Oh yes, well worth the wait.......

Jul 20, 2001
Hopefully we won't have to

Hopefully we won't have to wait until 2007 for a special edition Titanic.

Over here in Australia we have had a lot of rereleased 'Special Editions' of movies that were only released 12 before. At the time of the original release noone had even thought of putting all the extras on a separate disc and given the length of the movie there would not have been much room for much more than we got on one disc.

I'm sure when it does come out it will set new standards for DVD

I for one can't wait

Robert

J

Jon Richards

Given the fact that Paramount

Given the fact that Paramount holds the distribution rights to the DVD and VHS we should be seeing a Special Edition Titanic sometime near 2030-ish. Paramount does not have a very good track record when releasing sought-after titles to the public--can someone say, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"?

Also, I don't expect the world from the Special Edition Titanic given Paramount's lack of foresight in Special Edition versions of movies. I say this not to put down the studio; on the contrary, I believe Paramount is a great American institution deserving of the highest recognition. However, there is need for improvement with what fans WANT on DVDs and what executives PUT on DVDs.

If a special edition does come out then I would request the following features from the studio:

1) An anamorphic widescreen version–2.35:1
2) A full-frame version--James Cameron's preferred version
3) Special branching capabilities to optionally integrate deleted scenes into the film
4) A director’s commentary
5) A commentary with Leo and Kate describing their journey together during filming
6) Dolby Digital 5.1 English, French, Spanish (Region 1), DTS
7) Subtitles: English, French, Spanish (Region 1)
8) ”The making of”–no less than one hour
9) Special effects featurettes of the water, dolphins, CG characters, ship sinking, etc.
10) Multi-angle featurettes of the flying sequence and dining scene
11) The script
12) Kate Winslet’s Titanic diary
13) Trailers and posters
14) Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On” music video

I think that should about cover it. I think with all these features a 5-disk box set would be in order at the low price of 79.99US. This would also mean that the movies would be broken up into 2 disks a piece with the special features on disk 5.

I think I would pay such a price knowing that the Special Edition was done correctly. Now hopefully the studio will listen to our cries and release this fabulous collection!

Jon

S

Shane Jenkins

I never bought the dvd as i ca

I never bought the dvd as i can't be bothered to waste my money on something that is as good as the VHS release.
However, not that it would compare to the suggestions for a better DVD release, i grabbed a VHS boxset which includes:
* A great display case
* The Movie
* The video to My Heart Will Go On
* 8 Collector Cards
* A cased 35mm Film Cell

This has been the best that i have come across. I got it when the movie was released on VHS in the UK. Not sure if it was released the same way anywhere else.

T

Trent Pheifer

Shane,
They sold something l

Shane,
They sold something like that here in the US, but it was after the initial selling of the movie so I already had it on tape.

I bought the movie on DVD, because the tape I had, wore out and wouldn't work anymore lol. We just got a big screen TV, and boy is it amazing to see Titanic on that...its the closest to the theatre as I have found! I have been waiting and waiting like all of you for this Special Edition DVD. Maybe now that Jim is done with Ghosts, he will work on the DVD!!

-Trent

Jun 8, 2003
I too bought the VHS box set,

I too bought the VHS box set, which included a film cell, the widscreen version of the film, the full orginal screenplay singed my james cameron 8 collector cards, the my heart will go on video and a documentry the making of titanic, and the production notes - i thought this was pretty good going.
But i really would love some dvd extras, don't they realise how much money they would make from it?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>But i really would l

>>But i really would love some dvd extras, don't they realise how much money they would make from it? <<

Maybe they realize how much money they won't make from it. That's the kicker here. Movie studios are like any business in that they conduct market studies to see if some projects have a chance of making a return on the investment.There may or may not be plans in the works for an expanded version, but it won't happen if they have cause to believe they won't make a profit on that. For all their alleged liberalism, they're very conservative about such things. Considering that they have to answer to stockholders, it's not hard to see why either.

Jun 8, 2003
thats true michael. - but then

thats true michael. - but then again they took a big gamble on even making titanic in the first place. is it just my opinion but isn't business full of gambles especially the movie business?

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Well, you're only 15, so i

Well, you're only 15, so it's hard for youth to really grasp how big business handling billions of dollars works in the real world. Even some of us adults have a hard time grasping the enormity of it. However, the facts are as Michael stated that Titanic has pretty much run its course with the majority of filmgoers. The figures for Ghosts of the Abyss are nowhere near what they were for the 1997 movie, and attendance is also dropping at exhibits of Titanic artifacts. The public has a short attention span, and although there are many die-hard Titanic fans who will spend money for additional footage, the reality is that such a venture would be a loser for the studios. I grew up in show-business and can tell you that they will not invest in such a project that will bring in only a small return from a limited audience...although I applaud your enthusiasm.

Kyrila

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>is it just my opinio

>>is it just my opinion but isn't business full of gambles especially the movie business?<<

Yes it is, and my understanding of the situation was that Titanic came within a whisker of being axed because of delays, cost over-runs, etc. The only reason it got the green light to go on was because the studios involved had reason to believe that they could get a return on their investment. Had it been otherwise, the production would never have made it to the silver screen.

I would also point out that there's a lot of merit to the points that Kyrila made. The short version of what she's saying is that fashions are fickle, and right now, Titanic isn't very fashionable. You can bet that the studios know this too. The reason they know this is because they have people on staff who's sole purpose in life is to watch and study the market. Since these people tend to get put up for involuntary and very sudden career changes if they read things wrong, you can bet that they're damned careful about the conclusions they make.

Granted, people like us would love to see a directors cut with the deleted scenes added. I'd snap it up in a cold second. Likewise with Ghosts of the Abyss, which I intend to snap up as soon as it hits the vidio stores.

However, people like us with a deep interest in this ship and the heritage of the Great Liners make up a very small market. We may not like that, but it is the reality. My bets are on the year 2012 for another boom in the market for Titanic related material. The 100th anniversery of the sinking is bound to perk up some interest.

Watch for it.

Jun 8, 2003
Of course Ghosts of the abyss

Of course Ghosts of the abyss wasn't as high as the 1997 film i mean 1) it was a documentry 2) it was about the real titanic 3) it didn't involve jack & rose...see my point?
But Jim Cameron has a passion for the titanic, and i have to say i thought ghosts of the abyss was amazing.
The other special thing about James Cameron is he believes in what he is doing. When people threatend him about titanic, he simply told them he would walk, and work on it by himself. And look how well he has done, with that attitude.

S

Shane Jenkins

I feel that the general appeal

I feel that the general appeal for Titanic has decreased a little since the release of the 1997 movie. As Michael stated, that's the problem. Less interest= Less Profits.
Although i am one of the many that are preying for the DVD release i have to admit i see where they are coming from.Leaving it until 2012, 100 years after the tragedy is bound to make interest peak among the general public thus equalling increased profits. We must appreciate that not everyone is as enthusiastic as we on these boards.

Feb 21, 2003
As with some movies released o

As with some movies released on DVD they have come up with a hook. An alternate ending. So if Paramount wants to make money on a 'Extra Special Limited Edition Expanded Release That Is Not A Director's Cut' version of Titanic, then they should come up with an alternate ending.

I can see the trailer now; Up coming DVD release, Titanic by James Cameron. You thought you knew the ending, but did Jack really die? Travel back in time to to relive Titanic and see Jack & Rose live happily ever after.

Seriously, I am not so much interested in a Director's Cut, but a fully restored version of Titanic 97. A restored version is all of the cut scenes put back in. I have purchased Director's Cuts of movies on DVD and found that they only put back a scene or two. The Star Trek films (with the original crew) are like this. You get a key scene or two put back in and the rest in another special features area. I am a big fan of restored movies. One film that is a truly restored masterpiece is 'It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World' by Stanley Kramer. They put back every scene that hit the cutting room floor and restored and color matched the film and released it on VHS. So far this one has not showed up on DVD...yet.

If you all are interested in a expanded version of Titanic, then do what they did when they saved the Original Star Trek series, a good old letter (or E-mail) writing campaign. If you don't tell 'em, how will they know! I'm up for it....How about the rest of you?

Jul 12, 2003
Adding to Jon's list of wh

Adding to Jon's list of what should be included in the DVD special edition...perhaps some of the auditions for the various roles...like they did with Gone With The Wind...it would just be interesting background o the making of the film

Jun 8, 2003
Have u read Titanic and the ma

Have u read Titanic and the making of James Cameron? man that is such a gd book, u really see how interested james cameron is, with titanic. Also, Deborah, there is loads of info on the auditions.
Apparently Claire Danes was offered the part, but she refused as "working with Leo would be nothing new." In my opinion, claire danes would not have suited the role of Rose, which was made for kate winslet...my opinion
happy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.