Titanic 1997 Third Class Hallways

Aug 31, 2015
Stairwell.jpgStairwell.jpgStairwell.jpgHi I found that Cameron had original blueprints. How is possible that 3rd class corridors in movie are layout completly different? For example 3rd Class Main Stairwell have near many corridors. I obviously saw movie so many times that It can not even count it. But I see carefully on it and not even shortest side look similar to the width of the real ship. Not speak about that stairwell on this photo wasn't on the ship.

Stairwell.jpg

J

Jack Dawson

Hi, I don't have any direct answer to your question.

Generally speaking...and I do mean very generally speaking..

Hypothetically speaking, let's say you want to build a replica of Scotland road; you can't do it full length as the real one was; I mean you probably could if you had a HUGE soundstage (or more likely out on the lot), but it would waste a lot of space and time and a boatload of money. Scenery is scenery. 99% of the audience is not going to count every rivet. Scotland road on the real ship was several hundred feet long; realistically if you do not need to film in 80% of that corridor, then why build it? So you build what you need to shoot your scene. Now your storyboard/script/screenplay call for your characters to be trapped between a gate and flooding water; and your research consultant is telling you there isn't a place that really matches your scene on the ship's blueprints. Boom, now it does or you have no scene. It's artistic/dramatic license. You have it built to what it would have looked like had that particular room existed on the ship, and 99% of people won't be bothered because it is designed to fit in with the look of the real ship. It could be a real room for all the audience cares if it looks convincing enough.

So in short,usually places are condensed when building a set, and the sets are built to meet the needs of the production; not as a museum. If your story calls for a room that doesn't exist, you have it designed to look like it belongs there and put it on film. The magic is what comes out of the camera; sets are pretty cool but it is how they interact with the lens and the director's vision that make us forget they aren't real rooms.

But I really have no idea so don't take my word for it, that is just how I understand it from what I have heard. My point is just that something built in real life and something built for a few months of filming will not be the same for numerous reasons.