Titanic 2 not a replica

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>As intimated; the foregoing was mainly a problem on cargo ships but I seem to remember one of the 'Queens' sustained damage to accommodation and/or bridge-front windows during an Atlantic crossing back in the 50's or 60's but can't be certain of it.<<

I think that was the Queen Mary. The Aquatania had a similar incident back in the 30's. I'm amazed at how many people think sheer size gives a ship some sort of magical immunity to the ocean.

>>and the bottom of the bow was a huge long think steal tube thing on the end.Is that what you were talking about an ice breaker?<<

Not quite. It might help if I saw the photo you're referring to but it sounds to me like you're talking about the bulbous bow. The bulb below the waterline just helps the hull slip a bit more efficiently through the water since it produces a lot less resistance.

A

Alyson Jones

Oh ok then!Sorry but i have no idea how to put a pic in my post!so that's what that is for.
I thought after the Titanic sank,they proofed on the ship design by adding a pointed bow and an icebreaker to protect the bow,boy i was wrong!
What you just said sounds like we are talking about the same thing!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>What you just said sounds like we are talking about the same thing!<<

Possibly. Keep in mind that the bulbous bow form was a later development, and an evolutionary one at that. You didn't see a lot of that before the Second World War.

James A Alley

Feb 8, 2011
Here is my version of a Titanic 2 concept slightly larger than the original ship but meets best of both eras modern and titanic eras. also includes a shipboard titanic memorial.

titanic_2_copy2.jpg

titanic_2_2.jpg

Titanic Memorial below

titanic_2_titanic_memorial.jpg

t2.jpg

t22.jpg

i do realize that white star line is part of Cunard

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
James, The ship should have 4 funnels like on the original Titanic and if the ship is built and used as a Transatlantic Liner, the lifeboats would have to be located higher up on the ship just like the lifeboats on the QM2.When the QM2 was constructed several years ago,Cunard did ask and received a waiver from the Coast Guard to allow the lifeboats to be located higher up on the ship as compared to other Cruise Ships because the rough North Atlantic waves could damage the lifeboats.This has happened to the QE2. Regards,Jerry

James A Alley

Feb 8, 2011
Adding four funnels to the ship (i created) didn't make sense in a modern standpoint because there is no need to have more than one funnel on a cruise ship/ocean liner/ship they take up space and would not fit with a standard modern design they did however go wonderfully with a classic 1910s era ship. Queen Mary 2 herself only has one (main funnel) and two smaller white ones (if they can be considered funnels) I couldn't achieve the same look with two smaller funnels. The Lifeboats on this ship are 40ft high and built inside the beam of the ship giving some protection from waves i widened the ship from the original titanic design for this reason this also gave me room to add new staterooms and suites. SOLAS 49 FT Queen Mary 2 82 FT) I do realize i should have made the lifeboats should have been higher. the ship looks this way to stay similar to the original titanic design

N

Nick Silva

Posted on November 14th 2011 at 8:01 pm. I think we should make a ship with a name from White Star Line that was'ent used but thought of.(ex;Gigantic)Make her have One funnel at the back and look like the QM2 but with Titanic's colours. Don't you think that's a good idea?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Modern cruise ships actually have many funnels, maybe a dozen or so. The single funnel that surrounds them conceals them from the public because they look like something from an industrial estate. Sometimes the 'funnel' is no more than a metal lattice works affair that looks solid from a distance.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Why exactly do the Queen Mary ships need funnels? They're not steam ships, are they?<<

Because they have deisel engines and these still burn fossil fuels. The only ships which have no need of funnels to carry away exhaust gasses are nukes.