Titanic 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Draper

Aug 24, 2001
I just saw the new NGC Titanic documentary "Titanic Revealed". It had some new footage of the wreck not shown before. The port side wall of the First Class entrence on the Boat Deck is in really bad shape. To me, it looks as if the wall is leaning aft. The window arch frames are nearly gone, there is only one still standing on the foward end of the wall, and maybe one or two left on the aft, beteen that is bare steel columns that held up the wall and roof. You can now see inside this part of the grand staircase. Other areas of the bow section shown were a fly over above the second funnel, new views of the mast, and a travel around the forecastle deck showning more detail of the railings. The mosaic doesn't clearly show the railings, so I found that cool to see a better image of what the exact condition of them was. I'm making a 1/350 scale wreck model of the 2004 wreck, so any new clips of the wreck catch my attention.

There wasn't much shown of the stern, save for the A deck crane and poop deck like the last NGC Titanic special.

What did you guys think of the documentary Titanic Revealed?

Vicki Logan

May 15, 2003
I enjoyed Titanic Revealed much more than the last one. This had more coverage of the ship and I enjoyed listening to all sides on whether or not to bring artifacts up. While I do think Ballard still has some sour grape issues, it must be difficult to go back and see the ship slowly disintegrate. I also enjoyed seeing E.T. member comments and contributions to the documentary.

Mark Draper

Aug 24, 2001
Yep, it was alot better than before
happy.gif
I'm pro salvage myself, Titanic is falling apart, so I like to see as much saved from decay as possible. Though, what do the anti-salvage people think about the fact the ship is crumbling away? Sooner or later nothing will be left to see.

Did RMSTI try to remove the telemotor off the bridge as the show said they tried to?

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
I know that up to the 2000 Expedition, no attempt had been made by RMST. Judge Clarke's bench order kept many things from being removed in 2000, so I doubt very seriously if an attempt was made then. Ballard's trip was before the 2004 RMST expedition, so that expedition hadn't arrived.

I did see a few pictures up close of the bow in 2002 from a tourist dive, where it looked as if the wooden decking around the base of the telemotor was starting to collapse inward. It almost looked as if someone cut into it, but there was no way to determine so without serious doubts in my opinion. It looked too much like natural decay.

There are conflicting reports as to what the rogue expedition did. I would have preferred to see the telemotor up close, and see if the telemotor itself had markings on it from manipulators, as well as any other evidence Ballard viewed to make his conclusion, that way, I make my own conclusions. I find his word, and his opinions, to be scientifically biased.

Mark Draper

Aug 24, 2001
The only person I know who would be able to see the raw video footage from Ballard's 2004 expedition is Roy Mengot. He got to look at all the raw unedited 1985/86 video and photo images for his amazing wreck model. He's always given me good information on the wreck's condition from his sources. He'd be the one to clarify this.

Status
Not open for further replies.