Titanic 2012

Bill Sauder

Dec 19, 2000
Hi Raphael:

The ship that sank was in fact Titanic, based on physical evidence recovered from the debris field, as well as a physical inspection of the wreck itself.

I went on the 2000 expedition to Titanic to identify artifacts recovered. I have also had the opportunity to review the thousands of other objects recovered from earlier missions.

Because shipbuilders like Harland & Wolff construct several ships simultaneously, it is customary to mark most of the components with the ship's contract number so the parts don't get lost or installed on the wrong ship.

Off the top of my head, there are about 6 to 12 artifacts with the Titanic's contract number (401). No artifact has been recovered with any other contract number. These items include wrenches from the engine rooms, marble and slate splashes from around the sinks etc.

Further, the wreck itself has the window and porthole pattern of Titanic, not Olympic -- something that can't be camouflaged.

The "Baby Swapping" myth is basically a fabrication to cash in cynically on the tragedy. It's just like the National Inquirer's articles about alien abductions and Elvis sightings. Ignore it.

Bill Sauder

R

Raphael Lacerda

Hey bill thanx i was really in doubt about that
hey how can i go to the wreck site

Bill Sauder

Dec 19, 2000
There is a private tour company that rents out the Russian MIR submersibles. It costs $30,000 last time I heard, and you only get one dive. Start saving your pennies.

Bill

R

Raphael Lacerda

well i have that cash available now so how do i get in touch with them??

David marbeck

Aug 22, 2004
YOU PEOPLE DIGUST ME! AS A NEW MEMBER AND THE GREAT GRANDSON OF A TITANIC PASSENGER I THINK U OUT TO BE ASHAMED!!!
<"there>
HOW DISGUSTING. I SUPPOSE U WOULD ALL LIKE TO PERFORM A REANACTMENT OF SEP 11????? WELL GET OVA IT. PEOPLE DIED. MANY PEOPLE, AND U SHOULD REMEMBER THE TRUE TITANIC LEGACY, NOT HOW TO CELEBRATE HER LOSS, OR ARGUE ABOUT HER INTERIOR, BUT BE RESPECTFUL TO THE DEAD.
THAT IS ALL
DAVID
PS I KNOW IM SHOUTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 28, 2003
Well, I don't imagine anyone is planning any re-enactments exactly. I agree it is a topic which might arouse differing feelings, and I'm not planning to go myself.
On a more positive topic, would you like to tell us who your great-grandfather was? Have you visited the Passenger thread - there you'll find people who are very interested in the victims and survivors, go to very great lengths to perpetuate their memory, and who behave with great respect.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hmmmmmmmmm...David, your's is a rather strange reaction for somebody who in another thread asserted...."im not interested in titanic." In light of that, why would it matter to you one way or another how anybody chose to remember and celebrate the ship and her legacy?
eh.gif

Apr 11, 2001
Since I began this thread Mr. Marbeck, I can assure you the purpose of it was to gather ideas on how this very important anniversary might be commemorated. It has always been my hope that all Titanic societies throughout the world might join in this century marker of the great tragedy, to produce a fitting remembrance of some kind which would include a memorial service and perhaps a tangible reminder in the form of an inscribed tablet or plaque. It is also an opportunity for the great historians, researchers in all areas, and yes, even collectors of White Star to pool knowledge and share precious articles of their collections. Personally, I find nothing offensive in remembering a tragedy or other event of world significance. The important thing is in how it is done. Presenting something solemn, significant and enlightening takes time and many volunteers, thus the need to begin thinking about it now, not in 2011.

Aug 10, 2002
Shelley:
I'm with you. We should definitely do something to commemorate this very important event. As I'm sure you know there was a company represented at the Titanic auction in NY in June, that is trying to put together a cruise on the anniversary. Maybe we should work with them, maybe not. Maybe we should do our own thing. But certainly we (meaning all Titanic Societies) should do something together. I would certainly be willing to have the planning of such an event as a topic at the next Titanic Symposium in Castine ME. in April of 2006. This idea goes along with my desire to have that symposium more than just technical matters.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Dec 31, 2003
Hampstead, London
Shelley: You began this page with a wonderful suggestion, and you have continued to detail it in a fine spirit above me here just now. Along with many others - "yes, even collectors"! - I would wish to participate in what I've been referring to for five years now as 'Titanic100'. A Memorial Service at St Paul's? A uniquely large, very comprehensive international Exhibition at Greenwich? A period-style matinee at Covent Garden? So, thinking caps on everyone! And may we remember it, Shelley, as having been: "solemn, significant and enlightening".

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm not so sure what I'd do to commemorate Titanic 2012, but I likewise concur that every Titanic society should get in on the act. Seems to me that 2012 would be about the time we would be having another symposium if we're successful at making this a semi-annual event. Some possibilities exist with that one for people who couldn't get to a function elsewhere.

Or we could perhaps hold that symposium in New York City.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Yeah, we should hold it in New York City ! But I too, have been thinking about that 100th Anniversary since 2002,and find it important. And while it is held, they should let us visit the exact place where Titanic sank, so I ,or we could throw like a bouquet of flowers for the remembrance of Titanic, and all who perished with her. That's what I've been thinking. Wait, hold up-I'm not in any Titanic Society,-what happened ? I'm just an ET member, can I still attend ?

Laura

Apr 11, 2001
Laura- if societies restricted non-members- there might not be any NEW members-and a pretty sparse gathering it might be too! THS has a wreath drop every year over the wreck site on the anniversary facilitated by the International Ice Patrol which is based in Groton CT. The wreath is dropped from a huge Hercules which has an enormous rear bay which opens up. I am also thinking maybe multi events could happen including Southampton, Cherbourg, Queenstown and the final unseen port of New York, and maybe include Ellis Island as well. No reason why a cruise cannot also be part of the schedule of possible commemorative events. Finances being what they are, these various venues could be open to all, and maybe one city will be near enough so many can afford to attend at least one or two events. I always feel sad for families with several children who try to attend and find the prices prohibitive. I purchased a small embroidered 90th anniversary needlework up in Montreal at TIS' convention. I think we really need to start cracking on something very tasteful and high-quality for the 100th. I often thought the Wedgewood Company might create a commemorative plate. I would hate to see too much cheap and tawdry knickknacks.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Ok-I was just asking, wasn't sure if there were any age restrictions, or something like that. I'm with you on the cruise-I've always wanted to go on one, and that would be my chance, I'm tired of nagging my parents about it. If I won't have any kids by that time (I'll be 25!) I will take my little niece, who would be 10 then. (and possibly her future siblings too.)But I wonder, how do we start getting ready for the event ? We are scattered all over the globe, it's kinda hard.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>But I wonder, how do we start getting ready for the event ?<<

Probably by setting some money aside for exactly that purpose, and also making sure you have a passport that's in order for international travel. Beyond that, you might want to keep an eye on the various Titanic societies and groups that will likely be organizing some events. They've been doing things like that for years and they're very good at it.

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
I'm taking a day trip to S'oton from London. Maybe the Maritime Museum will be open on 10 April, 2012. If not I'll stroll to that garden that has a memorial to EJ Smith. Then, I'll deffo fly to the nearest pub for a pint or nine.

On 15 April 2012 I'll be at the Phillips Memorial in Godalming. That pub in the High street makes Yorkies. I remember the name Yorkie, but what did I eat? I was under the influence of jet lag, so I don't remember!

K

Karen Loen

Hi everyone, well i was watching Tv last night and there was a show on about Titanic meant to be getting swapped with her sister ship the olympic, but after listening to so many ppls views a piece of the hull was brought up a few year bk with 2 large port holes and two smaller ones which were only on the titanic cause another tiolet was added and not on the olympic, so she didnt get swapped.xxx

the programme was on sky one

91654.gif

Dec 13, 2004
hi there everybody. Do you all know Gavin Bryars music? he has written a haunting piece called just Titanic and it floats the thought
that the music played as the ship went down is played ever after,drifting sorrowfully and distorting to and fro,to and fro,sometimes with a posh voice saying something crisp and then being washed away. francisa47