Titanic 2012

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Lau,

I don't know if there will be a commemoration all over the world, but currently a few cities are planning events for the anniversary. Southampton, Halifax and Belfast are lined up; perhaps Cobh will do something as well, but that has yet to be confirmed. Plus, supposedly a memorial crossing (according to reports anyway) is being organized.

Jul 14, 2002
I've heard that a company called Titanic Voyages is planning a memorial crossing, but haven't read an actual confirmation of this. From what I've heard, the cruise will depart Southampton on April 10th, 2012 and arrive at the scene of Titanic's sinking on the 14th where a memorial service would take place.

Again, this is only what I have heard. I guess in the coming months we shall know more about any memorial crossing in the works.

Nov 26, 2005
Just checked the site and put my info in the request for availability. I chose one of the inside cabins (it's not like I'll ever be in it anyway except to sleep). Looks like my trip will cost around $6,100 *if* travel costs stay as is, which I wouldn't bet on.

So are we all going to be on the same ship of we go on Titanic Voyages?

A

Alyson Jones

I had a look at "Destinationtitanic" and i had to check there ship out, and it seems to be the same size as the Titanic at 43'000.
Pretty cool,it may feel the same as Titanic!

Mar 7, 2010
WV
Does anyone know of any events or tv shows that are planned for the anniversary?

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally a separate thread in a different topic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same subject. MAB]

May 5, 2009
I will participate on the titanic memorial cruise 2012 (the ship is Balmoral)and i´m searching for other passengers. Is one of you also on the trip? .....i am from germany.

[Moderator's note: This post, originally posted as a separate thread has been moved to the pre-existing one, which is discussing the same subject. JDT]

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
Sounds like a well done cruise, and respectful.

Do they really mean to say "homely atmosphere"?
I'm thinking about going....anybody else?

May 19, 2009
Hello Claudia, Jason... I am already booked onto the Balmoral (I think I will be representing the steerage community!). Looking forward to the trip, and to learning a lot from this forum before then (I am a newbie here). I am from near Belfast.

May 27, 2007
Welcome aboard
grin.gif
I will probably be in Missouri in 2012 but I will be representing the Swedes, Danes and any Scots-Irish too aboard Titanic just the same! So Slainte!
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Yahoo Daily News:

Titanic memorial cruise to mark 100th anniversary
quote:

NEW YORK — A trans-Atlantic cruise is being offered in 2012 to mark the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.

The Titanic Memorial Cruise will depart, as the original ship did, on April 8, from Southampton, England, and arrive at the spot in the North Atlantic where the Titanic sank on April 15.
Details at http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20091005/ap_tr_ge/us_travel_brief_titanic_memorial_cruise

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Am I the first person to note the "April 8th" departure date listed??

That may be a typo, or the fact that April 8, 2012 will fall on Sunday.
And if you reference the U.S. Naval Observatory website noting the Moon cycles, http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/MoonPhase.php#y2009 you will see that the first 2012 spring season full moon will occur on the previous Friday, April 6th, meaning that April 8, 2012 will be Easter Sunday.

I have learned, from my travels in 2004, that that weekend will be particularly busy for UK residents traveling, especially for heading out of London for the weekend.

I'll have to check some of the websites promoting the 2012 trip; see if they list April 10th as the departure date.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Okay, I checked one of the sites, for Borton Overseas Travel, US Agent for the Memorial Trip.

The departure date is Sunday, April 8, 2012.
How the fact that that will be Easter Sunday may affect things I am not sure.
My own remembrance was, in April 2004, waiting, in Newcastle, for a charter bus coming up from London, so I could travel on to Alnwick.
I took the Train up to Newcastle, from Kings Cross Station, and we were crowded on the trip up.
The Charter bus was delayed leaving London, and was full when it arrived in Newcastle, to disembark travelers. I thought "never again", in regards to traveling on 'bank holidays', in the UK.
I hope people planning to travel to Southampton, to board the ship, allow a few days, or leave plenty of time to get there.

I, myself, will pass on this venture; will work on alternative plans regarding going to Southampton and/or Cobh and/or Halifax.

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
I plan on sitting here at home on 15th, April 2012.
The group that is arranging that anniversary cruise offered me half price if I'd do talks on board.
Yes thought about accepting the offer. In the end, I’ll leave it to others.

Bill West

Dec 14, 2005
About Easter Sunday, the Church and the scientists don’t have the same lunar calendar, the Church’s has a much longer history and interpretation behind it. The equinoxes and full moons don’t cross at the same local time at every place on the earth and so there are a few times where the crossing is a day later or earlier because of just passing midnight in different time zone. This can then translate into shifting by a week. Also the Eastern and Western Orthodox Churches have each made their own resolution of some of these practical problems. So in Googling be careful to find an ecclesiastical lunar calendar. Somewhere I think there is just a straight, fairly official proclamation of the date decided upon.

Bill

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
From my review of the Naval Observatory reports, the schedules have been consistent, over the last few years, to note when Easter will be celebrated, at least in the Roman Catholic Church.

Thus, for 2012, the forecast full moon will be
APRIL 6th, at 19:19 GMT,
Thus, I anticipate that at least the Western Churches will celebrate Easter on April 8, 2012.

Of course, for those planning to sail out on that day, you should have adequate time for making plans around possible "holiday rushes".
We'll see.