Titanic 97 The tenth anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sharon rutman

It's hard to believe 10 years have come and gone since Titanic debuted. What is your best memory of Titanic 97.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
I remember waiting ever so impatiently all that summer for it to be released. It was supposed to come out in summer, not winter. This is tragic and pathetic I know, but I still have my ticket stubs and popcorn buckets (the buckets have the "Titanic: Collide with Destiny" slogan/poster on them) from the times that I went to see it in the theater.

S

sharon rutman

I remember being so happy that the Titanic was finally a mainstream success instead of being treated as just an eccentric hobby! The whole world was hip to the program at last that the Titanic was sooooo cooool! Yes!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The first time I saw it was at the base theatre at Naval air Station keflavik Iceland. What I remember most were some of the cutting edge special effects and the recreation of the ship which was remarkably accurate even if the story left a bit to be desired.

May 3, 2005
This was the first movie I had seen for a long time on "the big screen"...I think the last movie I had seen prior to "Titanic 1997" was "The Great Train Robbery", with William S. Hart.....since then I have acquired the 3-DVD set and watched it on the small screen ....How many times ?...Oh ?...a bunch of times !...in English, in Spanish,in French, with Cameron's commentary, with the actors' commentary, with Don Lynch and Ken Marschall's commentary...with subtitles and with not....still frame, slow motion, fast forward....et cetera, et cetera and so forth....in all honestly, I've lost count. LOL.

May 3, 2005
Michael quote:
>>The first time I saw it was at the base theatre at Naval air Station keflavik Iceland.<<

Just a little bit of parallel history....
The first time I saw the 1953 version of "Titanic" was when the Seaplane Tender USS Kenneth Whiting (AV-14)was based at Naval Air Station North Island in San Diego...but I actually saw the movie at a downtown San Diego theater....might have been the Spreckels.

However, the first time I saw "The Caine Mutiny" was when it was shown on the seaplane deck of the Kenneth Whiting.

S

sharon rutman

I know we all tend to pick at Cameron's mega movie with our knives and scalpels but overall I'm for anything which makes the Titanic accessible to everyone. Ok, the story is alot like something out of a romance novel but, the effects were great and the theaters were packed! And it was icing on the cake when Titanic won a boatload of Oscars, especially Best Picture!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
In my opinion, the most important thing the flick achieved wasn't winning Oscars, it was just in being the success that it was that it opened the doors of interest...and opened up some purse strings...which made a number of expeditions to the ship possible.

Whatever one thinks of the story, the success of the movie gave James Cameron the juice to carry off two expeditions to the ship which generated more information and forensics data then anyone else ever attempted to before then. Everything that follows will build on what he started.

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
I, too, couldn't wait for the movie to be released - I saw it at a local theater - I drug my husband to it - I remember just being mesmerized by the movie - all the special effects, the beautiful sets and all that - its didn't seem like a 3 hour movie when I was watching it. About 30 minutes from the end - the movie film itself we were watching - I guess the projector got too hot and it started burning - man talk about a letdown - I had to wait til the next day to see the ending - of course the theater gave us all free tickets. I really didn't mind seeing it again - just to see the ending, neither did my husband. It really piqued his interest in the Titanic (I have been interested in all things Titanic for over 20 years). - Beth

ps. before the movie went out of the theaters I went and saw it 2 additional times!!
happy.gif

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I saw the movie early in 1998, just before going off on a single-handed cruise. Nothing like a maritime disaster to inspire good seamanship!

In Australia, we got a long version, with the so-called alternative ending and the Jack v Lovejoy fight. There may have been other brief extras.

At the time, I was struck by the chaotic clearing of the cinema and wondered how the mob would have faired on Titanic.

The best thing about the movie was that it led to much material, such as the inquiry transcripts, being made more readily available. Titanic is now at a higher level than before the movie and new research talent has come to the fore.

Jun 10, 1999
I actually waited until the second day of the showing. My Mother could not believe the patience of which I had applied! I will have to agree Titanic is at a (much deserved) higher level. Sept. 1, '85...it all seems like it was yesterday. I recall visiting Antique shops in NV & CA seeking Titanic memorabilia, prior to the Cameron epic. The shop owners replies were always the same..."What's the big deal about the Titanic?". I am sure that they are aware now!

BTW, I did find many a treasure in my unrelented search for Titanic...;-)

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I first saw the movie in February 1998, with a friend. We had to sit in the front row as the theatre was packed and I remember being in awe of how the ship was brought to life, and the special effects. I went back to see it one more time, but it wasn't until months later.

Agreed, the best part about the movie was that it led to a lot of great opportunities.

S

sharon rutman

1997 was truly the year that Titanic once again made a big splash (no pun intended) worldwide. Let's not forget that in addition to Cameron's glossy megamovie, Titanic,the Musical was on Broadway where it won 5 Tonys including Best Musical. Why do I bring up the Titanic Musical? My reason is selfish (so what else is new?)--the now late Peter Stone was nice enough to write the forward to the Complete Idiot's Guide to the Titanic for which I was forever grateful.

Nov 15, 2006
I never really liked the idea of a "musical". I find it (still) rather "tacky". To me Titanic and Tacky dont go together.

Linda Cooper

Sep 23, 2007
Michael H. Standart Stated:

"In my opinion, the most important thing the flick achieved wasn't winning Oscars, it was just in being the success that it was that it opened the doors of interest...and opened up some purse strings...which made a number of expeditions to the ship possible.

Whatever one thinks of the story, the success of the movie gave James Cameron the juice to carry off two expeditions to the ship which generated more information and forensics data then anyone else ever attempted to before then. Everything that follows will build on what he started."

I agree, along with a bit of help from Robert Ballard ;)

My own memories are this. First of all,I never got to see it on the big screen (I've heard that's the way to really see it - just like "Gone With the Wind - which I did see 4 times in the theater when it was re-released in the early 1970's).

However, my husband, who knew that I really wanted to see it, surprised me on the day that it was first released on VCR. I was (and still am) thrilled to have it!!

May 27, 2007
Time sure does fly. Seemed like yesterday I came out of the theater all enthused. It was spectacular. Titanic and Hollywood my two favorite subjects meet and collided. I still have the VR version myself. Thought about getting the DVD version but I hardly ever watch it now. When ever I want to visit Titanic I get on the Computer and visit here or visit other sites. I'm getting more interested in other ships though all the time which isn't surprising if you know me. When I was a kid I first met Titanic then other ships fascinated me. Lusitania, Morro Castle.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I agree, along with a bit of help from Robert Ballard ;)<<

To put things in perspective, the most important thing that Dr. Ballard accomplished was to find the wreck in the first place. While the man has had no end of detractors who have done everything possible to belittle him (Sometimes with valid reasons, sometimes not) the fact is that nothing else would have happened in the absence of that.

There might have been another movie...there's always another movie...there wouldn't have been any expeditions to the wreck to shed light on the ship's story.

S

sharon rutman

The musical was terrific and played to packed houses. It's a shame that Cameron's Titanic swamped Titanic the Musical. 5 Tony Awards is nothing to sneeze at especially Best Musical. Nothing tacky about that.

Linda Cooper

Sep 23, 2007
Michael H. Standart Stated:
"To put things in perspective, the most important thing that Dr. Ballard accomplished was to find the wreck in the first place. While the man has had no end of detractors who have done everything possible to belittle him (Sometimes with valid reasons, sometimes not) the fact is that nothing else would have happened in the absence of that.

There might have been another movie...there's always another movie...there wouldn't have been any expeditions to the wreck to shed light on the ship's story."

I know that this is a bit off topic, but I believe that there was a documentary made in the last year or two that showed another version of how the ship may have split in two. Not being an engineer, I can't remember the exact details, but I believe that it was stated that they believed that the ship started cracking from the "underbelly" (my term) as opposed from the top deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.