Titanic A Love Story thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tommy Belhasen

Well, I remember reading a book called Titanic: A Love Story by Shannon O'Cork. It was so bad (Captain Smith sleeping with someone else, among many other bad things), that, if it were ever made into a movie, it would make Cameron's version look like a documentary. What are your thoughts on it?

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
I remember this one. It had Captain Smith sleeping with the mother and Captain Lord sleeping with the daughter.

Meant to be taken with a huge grain of salt, I would think. A huge bit of fluff never intended to be taken seriously.

C

christopher brennan

I read part of it,up until Captain Smith slept with the Mother.I put it down in disgust.We all know in real life Edward Smith was a married man,this to me was disrespectful to say the least.Definitely a book to avoid.

Oct 13, 2000
in the buyer beware category, be forewarned that this book is actually available under two different titles. it was originally published in 1988 under the title Ice Fall. it was later rereleased in 1998 as Titanic, a Love Story.
this does not sound like the kind of book you want to buy more than once!

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
<snort> Mike, this sounds like the sort of book I wouldn't want to buy at all!
smoke.gif

M

Melissa E. Kalson

Hi all.. My two cents worth here.. It's a cheesy book and she really slandered Captain Smith's memory and that of Captain Lord as well for sleeping with the daughter. Sincerely, Melissa K. (P.S. I guess some people don't care what they write or who they hurt as long as they sell a book.)

Jun 4, 2000
quote:

this does not sound like the kind of book you want to buy more than once!

Au contraire, Mike T - I know people who've got several copies just for the different cover 'art'. (Where's an emoticon for throwing up when you need it?)

I think it's more along the lines of 'this does not sound like the kind of book you want to read more than once'. Or even read part way through more than once, going by some of the above comments.

Seriously though, who hasn't been offended by the 'Ismay in his dressing gown' scene? And laughed their heads off at preposterous idea and the dire writing at the same time! Those of you who've read that far into the book will know exactly of which bit I write. Eww.​

Oct 13, 2000
Fiona, as I have not read this gem yet, I am really limited on what comments I can make. you and others have made it plain that this is one book I will not be in any rush to add to my collection, however.

on the other hand, the collector in me warms to the idea of buying the different versions of the book just for the cover art. buy the books for the art, not the text. sort of a reverse philosophy to buying Playboy for the articles instead of the photography??? this has possibilities! ;-)

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

S

Suzanne McTaggart

I say light-hearted, what i mean is a trashy novel set on the Titanic which features mostly fictional characters but also some (ahem!) interesting portrayals of real-life victims and survivors. I refer to Shannon O'Cork's (wonder if this is her real name?) 'Secrets of the Titanic'. I picked it up in a bargain bin for £1. Has anyone else read it?

I would definitely recommend it, if only for the hilarious portrayal of certain passengers and crew. My favourite is her theory as to Captain Lord's behaviour that night - that he didn't go to aid the Titanic because he had been rejected by a first class widow on board and wanted to take revenge. Honestly-i expected him to reveal that he'd lassoed the iceberg and dragged it into the path of the ship next! The book is THAT unbelievable. Rather amusing though.

Suzie.

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 4, 2000
Read it? Yes. Several here have.

There are several threads that discuss this book, including this thread that I've moved your post to. Also see the 'worst book' and 'Golden Turkey' threads and add your own opinion if you like.

A lot of people find her book offensive - I find it funny up to a point, but the joke wears thin pretty quickly. As it was re-released with Titanic in its title to cash in on the Cameron feeding frenzy a new generation of readers have been appalled by it - or laughed themselves silly. I think there are many other novels that should've been re-leased ahead of it, but you can't blame Ms O'Cork's publishers for jumping in when they did.

But yeah, like you wrote: pure trash. Ismay in his dressing gown is an image that haunts me still...
happy.gif

Jun 8, 2003
I have read this book, or at least am reading it.
I agree the whole captain smith/ Dove peerce , stanley lord/ Nicola is stupid but it's a novel i guess not a history textbook.

Although some of the things i have read where good in my eyes, In particular, i love the way Lady Lucy Duff Gordon is portrayed, a revolutionary woman, which i believe she was.

Jul 12, 2003
I've never heard of the book you guys are talking about...but it has a disgusting premise and it's insulting to the memory of the Titanic story. It's quite sad when people take a tragedy and use it to make a buck...and in such a base way.

I'm not offended by making up ghost stories or something like that as long as it doesn't tarnish the people or the ship.

Regarding the book....eeeooowww.

Jun 8, 2003
Yeah i agree with you Deborah, but the only reason i continue reading it is because it's a good story, i just pretend its about fictional people (which lets face it, the portrayl of Smith and Lord for example are anyway).

May 12, 2009
I'm all for trashy historical romance, but this book was nothing but a clipshow of bisexual sex scenes throughout the ship! And the author's way with words! "That golden place beneath her thighs." Ummm.... Wouldn't that make her a freak of nature?

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.