1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Titanic And Other Ship Waterline Models In 1:1250 Scale

Discussion in 'Titanic Models and Modelmaking' started by Harland Duzen, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

I've recently discovered the world of 1:1250 Model Ships where you can buy metal painted waterline models of ships to recreate miniature docks, ocean crossings and general dioramas. Along with making more famous and modern ships, they also create ships from lesser known shipping lines like the Leyland Line and the Californian.

I brought these models for a project I'm working on and since they are all to scale, it's interesting to see how the Carpathia and Californian compare in size to the Titanic.
    IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    (Note: The Carpathia is depicted how she looked post 1912 with extra lifeboats on her central superstructure.)

Rancor and Roger Southern like this.
  2. Paul E Burke

Paul E Burke Member

That is really neat. After looking at you post, I looked them up. There are a lot of choices!

Harland Duzen likes this.
  3. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

That's one of my sons Christmas presents sorted then.

Edit: And then I saw how much they cost. Crikey, that's a lot of money.

4. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

I managed to get them very cheaply but yeah.... They can be expensive. :confused:

5. The foremast crane boom is facing the wrong way on Titanic. The holds were in the well deck.

6. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

I did notice that and the Bridge has a compass platform that you be more likely to see on the Britannic (maybe a side effect of recycling or modifying a previous mould?). Either way it's a shame since they managed to give both sides different window configurations and use a different mould for the 4th dummy funnel.

Nevertheless, it's less noticeable from a low angle perspective and still serves as a really detailed model (albeit a bit inaccurate).
    Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 18.41.52.png

7. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

While this might be misconstrued as "bad taste", for a "project" I'm working on, I'm going to be making a clay model of the Iceberg.

Currently based off the Rehorek Iceberg and scaled to 1/1250 Scale based off Samuel Halpern's dimensions*, below is a paper cutout to show how the clay model would appear Head-on.
    IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg

Would anyone say this is accurate in length or height?

*Source used seen here: Layout of the Icefield

8. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

Here's is a crude 3D version of the Rehorek Iceberg (the clay version would be closer in shape to a triangular prism).
    IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpg IMG_1212.jpg