Titanic and Other Ships by CH Lightoller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris,
as far as I have been able to determine, there has been no printing of this book since 1939 (!). with the exception that the Titanic Historical Society published a booklet in 1975 that just includes the six chapters of the book that tell about the Titanic disaster.

to my knowledge there are no plans to republish the complete book. that is a shame as it is really quite a striking book. on the other hand I expect that the actual market for it would be extremely limited. that and the very high costs in printing a book nowadays, make the chances for a new printing very unlikely.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

I've managed to share my photocopies with a few people, as well as telling others how to obtain it for themselves. Does anyone want to hear it again?

Hmmmm... maybe silence gives consent.

In the USA, ask your local library to borrow the microfilm copy from the Library of Congress. Here is their catalog entry.

LC Control Number: 35006499
Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
Brief Description: Lightoller, Charles Herbert. [from old catalog]
Titanic and other ships,
London, I. Nicholson and Watson, limited, 1935.
viii, 344 p. front. (port.) 20 cm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CALL NUMBER: Microfilm 33587 G
Copy 1
-- Request in: Microform Reading Room (Jefferson, LJ139B)

If the librarian is hesitant or shy about borrowing things from the Mighty Library of Congress, insist politely. It CAN be done!

Pat Winship

quote:

I've managed to share my photocopies with a few people, as well as telling others how to obtain it for themselves. Does anyone want to hear it again?

Thanks Pat - and as someone who benefited from your foresight and generosity, I appreciate the number of works you've assisted people in finding. (And here's another public acknowledgement that I still owe you, but I take it you've heard of compound interest.
happy.gif
)

Following on from Mike T's comments, there are some very preliminary investigations I'm aware of regarding reprints of some long out of print and rare Titanica, including Lightoller's autobiography. And of course I can't tell you any more or I'd have to kill you, leastways that's how the usual threat goes - and I'm sure there was something about me being 'late' too. ;)

Anyway, while you're waiting for something that may not happen, Pat's advice is not just better than nothing, it's excellent.​

Fi, that's very exciting news. I had played with the idea of creating a hypertext of Lights' book and putting it up, if I could obtain permission to do it. My research on copyright indicates that it might be public domain as of five days ago in the UK, but if the US copyright was renewed, it isn't over here. The worst-case
scenario of being pursued by a crowd of litigious Lightses isn't a happy one!

And (blush, bow) Thank you!

Pat W.

Status
Not open for further replies.