Titanic and The Ottoman Lieutenant (2017): What have they done?!?

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
By chance, a Youtube trailer with the "can't skip the ad" function appeared advertising the film: "The Ottoman Lieutenant" (2017) and I glance up casually from my Titanic Research to see a CGI model of the Titanic being used for the film!

A brief lookup of the full trailer revealed the horror...
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 15.19.00.png

The filmmakers are using a CGI Model of the Titanic with it's crow's nest, 2nd and 3rd Funnels missing and hoped no one would notice!

Here's some more shots from the trailer...
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 15.23.04.png

One of the Film's protagonist standing on fake Titanic bridge where a promenade has materialised out of nowhere...
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 15.26.07.png

...And lastly a coincidence that the fake Titanic was also carrying a burgundy car with a similar design to that of a 1912 Renault (to be fair, this seems more likely stolen from the 1997 film).

What are other people's thoughts on this...

May 3, 2005
Titanic has only two funnels and that's definitely not a 1912 Renault !
Idea of car being hoisted aboard Titanic may have been stolen from 1997 "Titanic"......But......Wrong type of car ! It would also have had a steering wheel on the right side instead of on the left as shown.
The car looks a little like a Ford Model T.

Have to check it out, but the whole thing seems rather weird.

Trivia items :
Don't know what or who "The Ottoman Lieutenant" is, but the 1943 German "Titanic" had a German Officer as the hero.

Some sources say the car was crated and in pieces to be re-assembled instead of as shown in the 1997 movie.

Also looks like some U.S. Navy sailors in their "whites" on the dock below the car. What were they doing ?

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
I don't get what the connection with the Titanic is ??????
What is this about "a fake Titanic ". ?????
Is that ship supposed to be the fake Titanic ?.
The only two funnels and smaller size ship would have been a dead give away to anyone in 1912 !.
I wasn't able to view the trailer.

Last edited:

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
Yikes. I was about to panic when I thought the movie was going to be ABOUT the Titanic. Glad it's not trying to one up Cameron's film on the matter.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I wasn't able to view the trailer.
Sorry. Here's the trailer:
(Watch between 0:00 and 0:04)

I should have confirm this film ISN'T about the Titanic, but some fictional war story set on the brink of WW1. What shocked me is that the film crew instead of using some small fictional 1 funneled ship, they got a CGI Model of the Titanic, cut-and-pasted it into the film and thought by photoshopping out 2 funnels, no one would notice it was clearly the Titanic. They didn't even change the colour of the funnels!

So according to the Trailer in an alternative timeline; Titanic collision with the iceberg only resulted in her losing two funnels and her crow's-nest but following the disaster, White Star reconfigured her and by 1914 was sailing the profitable New York to Istanbul service!

Reactions: Kyle Naber

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
So can her passengers now she has (nearly) the recommended number of lifeboats! :)

Last edited:

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The vehicle shown being loaded aboard a ship isn't a car, it's a small truck. Here it is in the trailer.
truck.jpg

A

Aaron_2016

No connection with the Titanic story, but the CGI model of the Titanic was used (a template from Honor and Glory?) and intentionally edited in a way to make her appear as another ship.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
At any rate there doesn't seem to be any connection with the Titanic except maybe the time period ?????
The film set on the brink of WW1 so around sometime in July 1914.

No connection with the Titanic story, but the CGI model of the Titanic was used (a template from Honor and Glory?) and intentionally edited in a way to make her appear as another ship.

IMDB States the film released in March so thankfully no plagiarism of Honor & Glory's Model.

Not to be rude to the filmmakers, but it seems they either were rushing to finish before a deadline and got the cheapest CGI model available, or arrogant of the facts just chose a CGI model of Titanic and with some minor changes hoped no one would noticed.

One funny thing from all this is I don't think Istanbul harbour would be even deep enough for the Titanic to dock without running aground! Picture the scene....

The SS "Fake Titanic" sails into Istanbul harbour arriving out the mist on the sunrise of a new day after a tense trip from New York.

Enter the Protagonist as she walks up on deck and glazes wistfully ahead as Istanbul fades into view aware of the dangers and challenges that lie ahead of her. Suddenly...
BOOM!
She and several bystanders fall to their feet as the Bow suddenly and violently rears up and comes to an unexpected stop. Picking themselves up some voices can be heard on the bridge below.
Captain: "What happened???"

Quartermaster: "We run aground Captain."

Captain: "Why didn't the lookouts spot this?"

Quartermaster: "The Company got rid them as they thought we didn't need them. Remember?"

Captain: "Damn Budgets Cuts!"

Sailor (Running into Bridge): "Captain! we just lost another funnel!"

Captain: "
You can't be serious..."

(Update)

The IMDB states this film was made on a budget of $40 million! They really thought no now would notice this!?!

Last edited:

nahaa

Aug 10, 2017
woaaa....are we going to have another one ? lovely. now i think my life will become perfect by watch this upcoming movie. :)