Titanic Around The World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2002
What should I come across in Geneva, Switzerland last weekend but the "New Titanic" pub/bar. As Titanic-themed pubs go I thought it was pretty un-interesting.

Unless I was missing something, the only items relating to Titanic were a couple of paintings, porthole mirrors, a few scattered postcards and Cameron movie posters and a Captain's hat hanging on the wall.

The clientele was, as far as I could tell, mainly Spanish and the music was disco. There seemed to be a lot of Kylie and dirty French versions of Britney Spears' One More Time.

Oh well, one has to try these things.

Cheers,

Boz

M

Mikael Jonsson

There is a Titanicdisco in Ayia Napa, Cyprus with a big Titanicpainting above the entrance. I tried to take a photo of it when I was there, but it was to dark.

Jun 11, 2000
They closed the Hard Rock Cafe???
Now I know my best days are behind me. Memories of the London Hard Rock Cafe .... queues to get in, root beer, mahogany cocktail bar, glass of iced water as standard, heavenly fries, the glories of Thousand Island Dressing (in retrospect, yuk, but a revelation after Salad Cream); great music, peppermints at the till, waitresses in tiny white catering dresses who flirted with everyone - male or female - and those burgers. Flame-grilled under your nose. What a difference to the vile Wimpey burger of my childhood. And not a soul over 25. Oh!
I suppose life must move on, but it was a glorious taste of the USA, and I'm not sure the Titanic Bar and Grill quite has the same allure...

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
I always liked Wimpy Bars...

My Mum used to take me to a Wimpy Bar for my birthday, up until I left Primary school. Unlike Monica (and with apologies to her for the following plagiarizing) I have memories of... almost empty cafes, flat Pepsi, chipped formica tables, a fag and a mug of tea as standard, soggy chips, the joy of a Knickerbocker Glory for afters, tip jar at the till, waitresses wearing dirty aprons, and a Wimpy King Size burger with ketchup (never forget to remove the tomato before eating). Yum! And lots of pensioners making lunch last 2 hours.

Bring on the Titanic Bar and Grill!

For those who wish to review and/or relive the delights of the Wimpy Bar, feel free to go to: http://tinyurl.com/4qnda

Jun 11, 2000
You forgot the adenoidal sniffs and the scowls that went with the waitresses in dirty aprons, Paul.

Titanic Bar and Grill, eh? Hmmm. Steaks and salad ... iceberg lettuce...?
Sorry.

Jun 11, 2000
Oh no! I've just been to the Belfast Telegraph link Boz gave, and see my tasteless [sic] iceberg lettuce joke has been pre-empted! The shame.....
Mind you, 'tasteless' is the word for iceberg lettuce.
I could think of much more tasteless items to include in the ambience, but don't get me started ....

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
RE: "Mind you, 'tasteless' is the word for iceberg lettuce."
Actually, it depends on each person's tastes.
I remember, a long time ago, a cartoon in the Los Angeles Times: A farmer is staring at his crop of iceberg lettuce, and sees the Titanic going down.
Yes, it is somewhat tasteless, but I did not think it too offensive.
Actually, I'd wager (and my Vegas luck is terrible) that if the Belfast establishment served iceberg lettuce for their salads and sandwiches, many patrons would probably not notice anything.

BTW, Monica, I also enjoy going to the various Hard Rock Cafes, and was disappointed to learn (back in 2001) that the Banff and Calgary (Alberta) locations were also gone.

Mar 28, 2002
TITANIC IN INDIA

'Titanic' draws thousands in Orissa :

Bhubaneswar, Oct 22 : A replica of the famous ship "Titanic" created by artists to mark the festival of Durga Puja is drawing thousands in Orissa.

More than 50 artists from Cuttack and Kolkata have built the structure using plywood and plaster of Paris at the entrance of Cuttack city, 26 km from here.

"We have spent around Rs.400,000 ($8,800) on the structure," Bibhu Sethis, an official of the festival organising committee, told IANS.

But it was money well spent, with people from all around visiting it and appreciating the effort, he said.

The organisers build something unique every year for the festival, and this year they decided on the Titanic, one of the best-known maritime disasters.

Built in the early 20th century in Ireland as the largest and most luxurious vessel of its time, the Titanic suffered a fatal accident on its maiden voyage, drowning more than 1,500 people on board.

--Indo-Asian News Service

Status
Not open for further replies.