Titanic Attraction in Branson Missouri

R

Robert H. Gibbons

There is a new Titanic attraction being built in Branson, Missouri by John Joslyn. He was involved in a similar attraction in Orlando, Florida. The Titanic Historical Society is involved, loaning some real Titanic artifacts including Mrs. Astor's life jacket, a deck chair from the ship, Fred Fleet's material and perhaps other items. The attraction is currenly scheduled to open in November, 2005 with the grand opening in April, 2006. The attraction's website www.titanicbranson.com has artist's drawings of seven of the fourteen display rooms and a link to a webcam that will show the building of the half-scale bow section starting in September. The THS will have a presentation about the attraction at their upcoming October meeting. Robert H. Gibbons

Kyrila Scully

Kyrila Scully

Quite impressive! I wonder if they contacted Parks about putting the Marconi room together? I know John Joslyn and Paul Burns and worked with them to bring Titanic to Palm Beach County when they were scouting for new locations. I was quite disappointed when they chose Branson instead, but it looks very ambitious! I will certainly try to make it to the grand opening, if not sooner - and maybe even try to be a part of the cast!

Kyrila

J

Jeffrey Word

I just spoke to one of the owners on the phone and they were telling me that what we see on the website is just the tip of the iceberg!! And YES!!! you actually get to climb the Grand Staircase to your heart's content! Behind the staircase, you can ride a lift to the upper deck. Feel 30 degree temperature as you go for a stroll down the promenade. Try to save Titanic from hitting the iceberg by turning the wheel as the iceberg comes out of the darkness. Cameron is also giving his bow set to the exhibit. So you can "fly!" if you would like. I just noticed that some of this wasn't on the site after I had talked to her, so I wanted to let you all know! Oh also, starting April 7, 2006-May 14th, they will be celebrating the Titanic's anniversary with such names as Don Lynch and Ken Marschall in attendance. Cameron making an appearance is possible, but not definate yet.

G

George Heiss

Hello Jeff! Nice news! See, I KNEW I was reading right that you DO have full run of the staircase as it is a multi-floor attraction. What I DIDN'T know was that they will also have a working lift as well. But the whole trying to steer the ship clear of the iceburg experience sounds awesome! I bet the anniversary following the opening will be a blast! Must pencil in those dates. Thanx for the info!

Geo

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>Try to save Titanic from hitting the iceberg by turning the wheel as the iceberg comes out of the darkness.<<

Interesting. Does the thing handle like a real ship? If it does, any of you who go to this attraction might want to give it a try. You might be in for some surprises.

J

Jeffrey Word

You're welcome George!

Yes, the lady I spoke to said that the lift would actually work. She said the problem that they're having is re-creating the Grand Staircase. Building codes, of course, have changed dramatically since 1912. She was saying that it's been really tough to come up with a design that LOOKS historically accurate, and is safe for people to use as well. The lift is kind of going through the same problem. She sounded very confident that it would be done. The opening deadline I think has been pushed back due to these technical difficulties. Also there is a problem with the steel that is being brought over to use for the building of the ship.

Yes, she was saying to me that they were trying to build the bridge with some kind of effect in the windows so that when you turn the wheel, the starry sky turns with you. Giving the effect that you're turning the ship. This, and other things she mentioned to me may not be there next year when the attraction kicks off, but rest assured there will be more and more add-ons as the money comes in.
Happy
It's supposed to be a growing thing. I'm not sure as to how all that's going to work. I tried to let her go before I kept her too long. She was working on a Sunday, so I'm sure she was probably really busy. I'll be calling back probably within the week with some additional questions. I'm going to also ask about holding a convention there sometime and seeing what the costs of all that would be. Maybe we could get some of the good people in this community to pitch in and we could rent the Titanic for our own little ET Convention!
Happy

J

Jeffrey Word

I have to add...

George, it looks like someone already stole our idea. ;-)

G

George Heiss

Hello Jeff,

Hmmmm, not really. It is a different idea. The premise I was bringing across was a hotel/museum. Both the MO, and FL attractions are more museum only 1 day visit attractions. I was thinking something more along the lines of someplace you can stay for a few days. I just know I could definately take this to the next level. I been really thinking about some really cool ideas too >:} (yes, there is that evil grin again).

Kyrila Scully

Kyrila Scully

Well, George, a famous resort builder in Las Vegas attempted to do just that - but it never came to pass. I'm sure you can find the thread about it somewhere on the board - or someone will post it who knows how.

Kyrila

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>Yes, she was saying to me that they were trying to build the bridge with some kind of effect in the windows so that when you turn the wheel, the starry sky turns with you. Giving the effect that you're turning the ship.<<

Mmmmmmm...that's not quite what I was driving at. I've had my turn at the con of a real ship, and I've also worked the simulator at the Maine Maritime acadamy. Both a very different from what I might expect of a showman's recreation of how he thinks a ship should behave. Ship's don't turn or handle like land vehicals. I hope whoever does this recreation does it in a manner that's faithful to how ships *actually* handle.

J

Jeffrey Word

Keep in mind that this stuff may not all be available at the opening or near future. They're going to be "building as they go". All the rooms and everything will be there and complete, the special effects just may be a while off.

I admit I have never been at the helm of a ship. Well...not one that was actually MOVING. So I wouldn't really know. Could you describe? I've always been curious about that. How do ships handle during turning Mike?

George, let's here some ideas! >
Happy
I've been loaded during the day with work so I haven't had time to really think about it and come up with some decent ideas.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>Could you describe? I've always been curious about that. How do ships handle during turning Mike? <<

It's not really all that difficult to figure out if you really pay attention. If you've ever seen a photo or motion picture of a ship turning, you may have noticed that the thing almost looks like it's skidding through the water on it's side. That's not all that far from the reality either. A landed vehical has it's turning point as the wheel on the side of the direction of turn. With a ship, the centre of the turn is dead smack down it's longitudinal axis. Usually anywhere from a third to halfway back. That's why when the bow is turning away from something, the stern is actually swinging towards it until it completely transfers to it's new course.

You might be surprised to find out that a lot of sailors even aren't aware of this unless they're in deck ratings of some kind where they routinely handle a vessel. It's not surprising then that a lot of entertainment promoters and producers don't know about it either. The funny thing is, all they have to do is pick up any edition of Knight's Modern Seamanship to research the subject.

J

Jeffrey Word

Wow. Now I want to experience it for myself!
Happy
They would really have to do some stuff to make this exhibit simulate that! I don't think they're going that far with it Mike. ;-)

S

Shane Worthy

Hey Mike,
I was wondering if you could email me at my email...i dont know yours. I have a few important questions for you and was hoping you could help me with them.
Thanks a ton.
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy
[email protected]

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

Shane, I can be reached through my profile but if you have any questions, you would do far better to ask them right here in the forum in whatever folder is appropriate. You stand a much better chance of getting a reply from somebody who understands the ground where I might not.