Titanic Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Micheal Napier

Hey all.

I live in Australia and i was wondering what are the significant connections between Australia and the Titanic? Also did the rms Olympic visit Australia, as i think the Maurtania or Auqitania did?

Thanks for your time.
Mike Napier.

A

Andrew Rogers

Hi Mate,
I'm in Sydney and I have been studying up on the Aussie connections for a couple of years now.
I am always pushed for time so it might be a few days before I can give you a rundown (on the board) or you can contact me on [email protected] and we can arrange a telephone call.

Bye,
Andrew.

Sep 12, 2000
Dear Andrew,
If a person from America were to come to Australia, what sites would you recommend of significance and what Titanic related sites are there and where would they be located?

Thanks.
Maureen.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
My father recalls seeing the Aquitania at Circular Quay as a boy.

Titanic sites? Well, Fort Denison - site of Lightoller's notorious 'one gun salute' during the Boer War when local sentiment was running high is difficult to miss. It's a teeny fort on a teeny rock, sitting smack bang in the middle of the Harbour (used to have a good view of it from my office window).

Virtually all the Titanic's officers had a familiarity with Circular Quay and probably also Darling Harbour in Sydney. One of the juniors had an affection for Newcastle, NSW above either New York or Sydney (bizarre taste there - I've got family in Newcastle, mind you...). Tenuous links to Taronga Zoo, but that's a tale for another day :)

There are Titanic memorials in places as far flung as the band memorial in...Ballarat, is it, Andrew? Something like that. The Commutator had a good article a year or two ago on the subject of Australian Titanic links.

~ Inger

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
There is a memorial to the band in Broken Hill and, thanks to Andrew Rogers, there in a monument to Evelyn Marsden on her grave in Waverley Cemetery, Sydney.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Thanks, Dave - was running through 'B' names in my head from Ballarat to Bendigo...

~ Inger

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I think you are on the track. I too can't recall if there's one at Ballarat or Bendigo, but I'm pretty sure that one town or the other has one.

There used to be one at Kadina, South Australia but over the years it's vanished. In an age when brass bands were very common their members all over the world sympathised with the band, often probably not realising that it had no resemblance to their own.

A

Andrew Rogers

One in Ballarat, one in Broken Hill and a no-longer in existance memorial to the bandsmen of the Titanic in Kadina (near Dave's turf) South Aust.
And Phil has put a pic of Evelyn's headstone on her ET listing.
By the way, Dave has to be the most persistant and successful digger of info I have ever met.
No time again, will write more later.
Andrew.

Dec 13, 1999
Also, William John Murdoch, (fireman) died 1st July 1941 and is interred at Rookwood Independent Cemetery, New South Wales. Arthur Gordon McRae (second class) is also mentioned on a headstone in Australia, although for the life of me I can't remember where!
Geoff

G

Gavin Murphy

Well Geoff surely this would be referenced in Brian Ticehurst's study on gravesites of T victims. Unfortunately I don't have my copy at the ready or I would provide the details myself.

BTW, I will be in UK in about 5 days for about 3 weeks, and I have promised my wife I will do nothing related to the T while there. So I will wish you Alma all the best in the Holiday Season here in a rather public way.

Regards,

G

Sep 12, 2000
Okay, thanks to Inger, Geoff, and Dave and also Andrew an American will know what great things there are to see while in Australia.

Great digger of information...hmmmmmmmmm.....now Andrew are you saying that Dave is probably a wonderful site to see? Just checking. (giggles)

Maureen.

A

Andrew Rogers

Arthur McCrae (not to be confused with McRae) is under the big Cetic cross in the Fairview Cemetery in Halifax not down here. The Murdoch (fireman)grave is new to me! and i just drove past Rookwood Cemetery today, thanks Geoff. I'll check it out.
Maureen, Dave is not a bad sight but he has taken me to some very interesting sites!
Andrew

A

Andrew Rogers

Check out the Unlisted Passengers and Crew on ET and look at the Alan McRae listing. Maybe that is what you remembered Geoff.
Andrew.

Dec 13, 1999
Hi Andrew, I meant McCrae! I know he is interred in Halifax, but I'm sure he is mentioned on the family grave in Australia. Someone sent me a photograph. He's the guy who had travelled extensively through Siberia and his father was Australian.
Regards
Geoff

A

Andrew Rogers

Geoff,
The McRae family grave at Aldinga in South Australia mentions the fate of son, Alan, as missing SS Titanic. The feeling at this end of the earth is that the family must have lost Alan in some other way but heard of Arthur McCrae and maybe mistook his death for their son's.
Make sense?
Maybe it was less misunderstanding and more poor communication?
The fact that Arthur McCrae was born in Adelaide maybe added fuel to the fire. (Aldinga is just south of Adelaide)
I was unable to find out anything in Aldinga but I might give it another try.
I also know Arthur's relative, John Cowper, who is just around the corner here in Sydney, I will check to see if Arthur is mentioned on a family headstone also.
Bye for now,
Andrew

Dec 13, 1999
Andrew, I'll hunt high and low to find that photograph! I'm probably completely mixed up with all these Mc's!!
Geoff

A

Andrew Rogers

Hi Geoff,
Daniel Rosenshine and I went to Rookwood Cemetery today and found the grave of William John Murdoch and his wife Catherine.
It took us a while because the cemetery is about the size of England!
Thanks for the tip off!
Andrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.