1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Titanic Basic Mistakes and Amateur Errors: What's Your Experience (and Internally Enraged Reaction)?

Discussion in 'The Fascination of Titanic' started by Harland Duzen, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

After having the trauma of previous Titanic related experiences unleashed on another thread, I decided to create this one for curiosity and comedy's sake...

As Titanic Historians young and old, Experts and fans will know, there have probably been times where you have noticed / seen someone make or discuss something Titanic related (a Newspaper, a documentary, painting etc) only to be mentally floored when they make a basic error or spout something you otherwise know to be inaccurate.

While the most notable example this year may be the now infamously wrong "Titanic: The New Evidence" and the media tidal-wave incorrectly proclaiming it as the cause of the sinking, we all must have had experiences where a massive mistake is made and we all internally screamed inside:

What previous blunders have you encountered (and what was your furious / bewildered reaction)?

2. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

I know it's not quite what you are after but having recently re-watched Cameron's Titanic, its all the stuff about the 3rd class passengers being held below decks at (very, very tiny) gun point that really makes me cross. There is no evidence for that whatsoever and a lot of people will treat that film as historically accurate.

Kyle Naber and Harland Duzen like this.
  3. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

This image pretty much sums up my rage... :mad:
    il_570xN.404206875_i48s.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  4. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

IMG_7462.JPG

Super classy, right?

5. Is it because that is obviously not Queenstown ?

6. If that is supposed to be Titanic , the funnels are the wrong color. Or was it suppoed to be a Cunard ?
    At any rate, I have read some reports that it is considered to be in bad taste.

7. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

That and because it's clearly not the Titanic but either the Lusitania or Maruetania and if the person had studied the photo for 1 second, he noticed ''Cunard" in the corner meaning it's docked at the wrong company's pier.

Nope and don't forget the crude iceberg attachment... what were they thinking? :confused:
    titanicslide.gif

8. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

Here's a pretty bad mistake for the Britannic from the telegraph which I put in a different thread. How did this happen??? They typed "Britannic" and found a photo of the RMS Majestic from 1914! they don't even look the same!

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 09.23.40.png

9. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

Here's an unforgivable mistake..
    Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 11.31.31.png
    Don't adjust your screen or eyes! This is really the Titanic sinking Stern first (with no lifeboats launched)! I only enhanced the lighting. This is a cutscene from one of the worst Titanic Video Games ever created called "Titanic: The Fateful Voyage" which has so many mistakes, you wonder what their source was!

(Screenshot taken from "Titanic: The Fateful Voyage I Part 3 I FIRE, OIL & LIFEBOATS!" being played by fellow Titanic Historian and Internet Gamer Daniel Smith)

When I saw this, I literally fell over in shock!

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 11.29.23.png

Kyle Naber likes this.
  10. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

One person got so concerned / angered by mistaken Titanic Photos, they set up their own website dedicated to it!

That's Not Titanic

Kyle Naber likes this.
  11. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

This thread may be a few months old now but this mistake I've heard is too big to ignore.

Today a friend of mine (we call him "Morgan" to protect their identify) said:

''What's the boat in "Titanic" called?''
    "Morgan" January 18th 2018​

WHAT!?! WHAT?!? :eek:

"Morgan" sitting next to me, asked everyone what the name of the boat from the 1997 film ''Titanic'' was called! He literally answered his own question and when I reacted in rage, he said ''I don't know what you call it'' (referring to boats in general).

I hope no one else has to put up with this as I've have to.

12. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

13. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

I don't know what to say but I feel sorry for you.

Kyle Naber likes this.
  14. robert warren

robert warren Member

I'm not surprised by any of this. We live in country that is increasingly becoming more dumbed down and uneducated. Did any of you see the college kids that were interviewed who didn't know who won the Civil War?????One subject that has been taught almost every year in school???!!! People take pride in being ignorant and stupid. It would be funny if were not pathetic and so sad!!

15. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

robert warren, Not to make things even more sadder, but prior to this statement, "Morgan" and reportedly 2 others thought that Nelson Mandela had made the ''I have a dream" speech when in reality it was clearly Martin Luther King Jr. :(

16. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

And unfortunately popular videos like these do NOT help.

17. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

I saw that the other day but didn't notice the red-funnels or the lifeboats. :mad:

The Titanic has become so iconic (or hidden behind clouds or myths) that it's seems to be perfectly okay now to make light of it or just bluntly copy and paste info without proper research like the video above has done.

Off topic a-bit, but in my town, a shop has a Titanic themed card holder next to the window that is just poor taste and the fact this was even made just shows now you can stick the word ''Titanic'' onto anything and expect it to sell.
    s-l225.jpg
    Back to Topic!

18. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

Respecting the tragedy for the heroism and sacrifices made that night has sadly been neglected. The name 'Titanic' has been exploited and used to sell tacky products.

Titanicprod1.png

The sinking has also been used for 'decades' in various TV sitcoms as the butt of a joke. I think the first time I heard the Titanic mentioned was on TV when some comedy was on and they referenced the Titanic. I'm not really surprised if people today are not aware of the real story. They probably think that nobody could be that disrespectful of a real tragic event and assume the disaster must be fiction. The Hollywood movie probably confirmed their suspicions that it was just a fictional movie, and they never gave it a second thought that it really happened. Imagine if the same kind of disrespect was given to events such as Pearl Harbor or 9/11 or the Holocaust. None of those products or jokes would ever pass anyone's lips. Yet it seems to be ok to mock the Titanic. Never understood why.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Kyle Naber likes this.
  19. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

Who even thought the Jack and Rose Teabags (and everything else) were a good idea!?!

Another gripe I have from all these click-bait videos is that whenever they talk about the Jack could have lived argument from the 1997 film, is that they aways refer to the wall panel they were on as a ''door'' despite the fact it's looks nothing like a door and the real life version can be seen in Halifax. Do some research!

20. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

THAT is another one that irks me.

Harland Duzen likes this.