Titanic belt buckle

Kara Simon

Apr 10, 2017
David,

I hope you can see this as this is now years later.

According to the Wikipedia entry, William Hull Botsford DID send a package and several postcards to his family from the Titanic to let them know He was returning home early on the Titanic.

I believe you may be in possession of authentic Titanic souvenirs and you should most certainly get an expert opinion. ESPECIALLY since the mark says "made in England" - this most probably is NOT a copy and was probably purchased as a souvenir onboard and posted in Belfast with the postcards...

Also considering the history here this could be worth a lot of money. Were the items in an envelope? Does the postcard have writing on it?

It wasn't her father by the way, it was her brother. He was an architect who designed stations and train bridges upstate and throughout NJ for the Lackawanna railroad.

Mary Mower

Nov 21, 2018
To David Akers ...We are trying to buy Talitha childhood home for our Veteran Hisorical group. Do you still have this?

Mary Mower

Nov 21, 2018
I purchased one of these belt buckles from an estate sale in west elmira, new york belonging to Talitha Botsford who died at the ripe old age of 100years she died in january 2002 along with this buckle there was a postcard of the titanic issued by Kraus mfg New York in one of her boxes of memorys she was a poet and a writer and artist. Now here is the curios thing Her brother was William Hull Botsford an engineer and designer he was born on 23rd november 1886 he went down with the Titanic and his body was never recovered he was a second class passenger on wednesday 10th April 1912 his ticket number was 237670 it cost £13 and his destination was Orange , New Jersey U.S.A.I find this very strange that she Talitha Botsford had this in her possesion when she died if this one is not real and a hoax they went to an awful lot of trouble whoever they are. if there was a mold originally isn't it possible that some were made especially for the maiden voyage? its just the link in my case with a sister of one of the passsengers owning this and a postcard thank you Dave
I would like to talk to you about the buckle...I'm from a local historical group in the town she grew up in.Mary Mower

T

Timothy A Overturf

Can anyone inform me about the whole history on the Titanic Bon-Voyage belt buckles that were given to the dockworkers building her? About how many were made, how many are known to exist, and their collectors value? Any info would be appreciated.

[Moderator's note: This post was in a different thread outside of this topic, but has been moved here. JDT]

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
As far as I know, there were no such belt buckles issued. If you get one, you may want to check it out to see if the "Made In Pakistan" marking is engraved on the back. A lot of such trinkets came from there in the 70's and the 80's.

Apr 11, 2001
I was given one back in 1978 by someone from the Steamship Historical Society . It was brass, and the story I got was that it was made from the original die cast molds from 1912, but was of recent casting. It was said to have been a souvenir item, on the order of the Titanic hatbands sold in the barber shop. Mine was stolen at a lecture I gave for Electric Boat back in the 1980's, the thief thinking it was 1912 and worth big bucks. He probably did get big bucks on Ebay!

Richard Sullo

Feb 23, 2008
I have one of these bronze belt buckles, in fact here is a photo of it, in the case I got it in, from a Govt. Auction of confiscated property. The case itself is a "Rothchild Mint" case from Zürich A.G.

I guess my question after reading the posts is; Were there any authentic belt buckles, and if so, how do you discern whether or not it is?
View Image

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Were there any authentic belt buckles<<

To my knowladge, no.

There were plenty of curios manufactured by the bucketload in both India and Pakistan, but none of them bear any resemblance to anything that you would have found in the Titanic's barbershop. It just goes to show that there is plenty out there in the way of misrepresentation and outright fraud.

Keep an eye on these forums as there are people hanging about who know what's real, what isn't, and how to tell the difference.

[Moderator's Note: This post and the one above it, originally posted in another thread, have been to the pre-existing one addressing the same subject. JDT]

David Akers

Sep 25, 2008
I purchased one of these belt buckles from an estate sale in west elmira, new york belonging to Talitha Botsford who died at the ripe old age of 100years she died in january 2002 along with this buckle there was a postcard of the titanic issued by Kraus mfg New York in one of her boxes of memorys she was a poet and a writer and artist. Now here is the curios thing Her brother was William Hull Botsford an engineer and designer he was born on 23rd november 1886 he went down with the Titanic and his body was never recovered he was a second class passenger on wednesday 10th April 1912 his ticket number was 237670 it cost £13 and his destination was Orange , New Jersey U.S.A.I find this very strange that she Talitha Botsford had this in her possesion when she died if this one is not real and a hoax they went to an awful lot of trouble whoever they are. if there was a mold originally isn't it possible that some were made especially for the maiden voyage? its just the link in my case with a sister of one of the passsengers owning this and a postcard thank you Dave

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi David,

I understand Mr. Botsford even worked in Elmira which is where his daughter Talitha apparently died. There was nothing recovered from his body which was never identified. But what actually supports your notion that the buckle might be authentic? How did you determine that everything else in the box was NOT from Titanic? Are there any records proving that any of her fathers items were returned to Talitha? How would this have come into her possession? This appears to be "authentication by association" at best?

Best,
Eric

David Akers

Sep 25, 2008
Hi Eric all I have is that the buckle and the postcard were purchased from her estate sale I have no idea how it got into her possesion its authentication by association at best as you say, I just find it strange that someone went to an awful lot of trouble to go down this particular avenue, if it is real maybe it was bought when he bought the ticket and sent it home on an earlier sailing by post thats what I would like to believe, but people are saying that there was no such item for sale at the time but if they were given out at the time to the workers as someone suggested maybe? who knows. Mine has no makers mark or made in india or pakistan on the back as someone suggested, I guess it will remain a mystery unless it appears on some sort of list from the time at some stage regards Dave

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi David,

can you post a clear picture or send me one at the address in my signature line? I know someone who can date the font used quite accurately. As far as I know none of these have ever been found to be authentic. If you spend enough time researching you will likely find a clue to its manufacture that will reveal the true date and origin. The font is a good place to start, as is the design and so forth.

Best,
Eric

David Akers

Sep 25, 2008
On closer inspection it the belt buckle has on the back "something? state jewelry co." and made in england with a number 32010 its petty faded I had to use a glass to see thanks David