Titanic: Birth of a Legend

Mar 28, 2002

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
This might be the documentary that Nigel Perkis (manager of the White Swan Hotel) said was being made last year. He said they made the 1st class lounge (their restaurant) look just like the Titanic's complete with period furniture etc.

Paul

Mark Draper

Nov 9, 2004
Will it show in the US? I'd like to see it
happy.gif

Nov 26, 2005
I'd really love to see this also. Somewhere i was reading that they built a pretty big chunk of the side of the Titanic as a set to use for the flashback/1912 construction scenes. It's supposed to be a pretty big deal so I'm sure that it will be shown in the U.S. also. It'd dang sure better be! lol.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
This week's Radio Times gives a sneak preview of a TV docudrama currently being produced by British TV company ITV1. Apparently, with a £1.6 million pound budget it's one of ITV's biggest ever factual commissions.

Called 'Titanic: Birth of a Legend', it will chart the remarkable story of the ship's construction.

The article says, quote:- "much of the money has been spent on scale models of parts, the largest being a 40m-long, 9m-high reconstruction of part of the exterior hull. The hull has been built at the old Cammell Laird shipyard in Birkenhead"

A programme to watch out for in the not too distant future.

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
There is a piece about this, complete with picture, in the current 'Radio Times'UK TV listings mag. The small piece of the ship's side is made of MDF! The drama apparently centres on the construction of the ship.

Nov 26, 2005
Hey everyone. I was watching the science channel yesterday and there was a commercial for a new Titanic documentary coming this summer. Does anyone know anything about this? Like a date? All the commmercial says is this summer. Is this the same documentary that's being talked about in the other thread? The one with the big chunk of the hull they built? Birth of a Legend? Or something like that? It looked pretty cool on the commercial. Just wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi Matthew

There is also mention of this docudrama on the Titanic Movies thread. The original post from Newspaper reports said it would be shown next month, April.

Being a commercial TV station, and spending so much money on the production, I would think it would be available for International coverage.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hello Sonja

The docu-drama referred to is 'Titanic: Birth of a Legend' scheduled to be shown fairly soon on UK television, Channel ITV 1.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
I think I was being a bit optimistic when I said it was due to be shown in April. The Radio Times actually says "later this year on ITV 1"

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
If it's anything like the Seven Wonders of the industrial World drama-docs that were aired last year, we won't be disappointed. The production was made by Granada International and runs for 74 minutes. It will be initially shown on the Discovery Channel and Norddeutscher Rundfunk as well as ITV. Granada are currently looking for customers in other countries, so hopefully most of us will get a chance to see it.

Nov 26, 2005
If I can get a date on this new documentary on the Science Channel I'll let all of you know. So far it's still just saying this summer. And on the commercial they're just calling it 'Titanic'. I don't know if this is the new one that was filmed in Liverpool or wherever. Or if it's something new from RMS Titanic Inc. I wish they'd show more on the commercial! If anyone else happens to find out a date please let us know. Oh, you know, in two years it's been 10 years since JC's Titanic. Probably going to be about time for a new Titanic movie. I've noticed that they release a new one about every ten to twelve years. Which is okay by me!
happy.gif

J

Jordan Tancevski

I was also wondering will it show in Australia as well? Because I have foxtel and it has UK TV and the discovery channel / national geographic / history channel as well. Will they screen on tv here on aus? Cause I saw the pictures of the show and they were amazing please let me know asap!

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi Matthew and Bob

Yes, possibly there are two docu-dramas on the go. My posts refer only to 'Titanic: birth of Legend'. For this production part of the Hull has been made using MDF and wooden rivets.

Regards Ernie

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
That's the one I'm referring to, Ernie - the Granada production as previewed in the Radio Times. We'll see it on ITV, but those living outside the UK will see it on the Discovery Channel, or in Germany on NDR.