Titanic: Blood and Steel

Anna Simpson

Jun 29, 2012
I'm recording these on my DVR. I saw the a little bit of the first one and it looks good. My only question is: Is the metallurgist guy real?

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hoping this appears on Australian TV soon, sounds interesting. Anything would be an improvement on the '96 mini-series!

Cheers,
Adam.

Athena

Oct 31, 2012
St Petersburg, Russia
I finished watching the series several days ago and am currently re-watching it to keep a friend company.

I really liked the first episodes (although I was slightly disappointed and annoyed with the fictional know-it-all metallurgist), and I especially liked the broad context of the series. But as the series progressed, the minor and not so minor discrepancies started to really annoy me. For example, Olympic couldn't have had its collision with HMS Hawke before the launch of Titanic, as Titanic's launch was scheduled to coincide with Olympic's very first voyage. And the finale disappointed me profoundly -the only thing I liked about it was the same thing that left Matthew unsatisfied :) - the ambiguity of the ending, I found it quite elegant. And, as many things in the series happened differerently than they actually did in real life, maybe in the world of the series Titanic reached New York without any incidents, returned to Southampton, and continued its service for many happy years!

LaBrava

Apr 17, 2012
Lord Pirrie

I find it surprising that Lord Pirrie (brilliantly played by actor Derek Jacobi) is portrayed as a sympathetic character. My understanding is that Lord Pirrie was a robber-baron (for lack of a better phrase), who forced Belfast taxpayers to pay for the construction of Harland & Wolff's new drydock where Titanic was assembled.

I suspect that the producers of this TV series will continue their Titanic saga because the money is in the reruns. The sinking is the climax and it would be very dramatic to see a jury trial for marine homicide in a fictionalized aftermath.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
From what I have heard, this sounds more like a work of fiction than anything to do with history. Where was it made - Dublin? The stills don't look much like Belfast (not enough brick).

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
From what I have heard, this sounds more like a work of fiction than anything to do with history.

Yes, it is fictitious! It is no documentary and historically many mistakes!
For example you will not see Olympic & Titanic together, as they have the Arrol Gantry but only with Titanic. The yard is looking small and it seems that everything (drawing office, Lord Pirries office) is all in one building which is directly in front of were the Titanic is being build. Somehow you get the impression that H&W are building only one ship which is the Titanic!
It is sad to see that they made so many things wrong! With the information and pictures we have today they could have done it better. Instead some images of her building remembers more to the building of the Lusitania (with the building directly in front of her bow) and sadly nearly all ship plans they used were from the Lusitania!
You will only see the Olympic one time, when she returned to H&W after the Hawke collision and again they have done all wrong. They placed the damage on the port side of the bow and somehow you have to ask yourself how did this damaged the propeller shaft? And they show that Titanic is still under construction by that time! Of course they also change a few things to get it work with the story, like the maiden voyage starting in Belfast or the intervention of J.P. Morgan!

However, even with all the historical mistakes I somehow enjoy it. It is partly thrilling and interesting. But the ending is a little disappointing.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
It is odd that this new series seems to have been shown in America and Europe but not in the United Kingdom. Not having seen it, it would be unfair to say too much, but reading the various reviews that have appeared on the internet, it appears that there are fundamental errors and distortions in relation to the social and political aspects of the period. For example, one review claims that H&W "sent in the B-Specials" during a strike - how can that be? I thought the A, B and C specials of the Royal Ulster Constabulary were formed around 1921 to combat the IRA?

C

Caroline Mendes Ferreira

I watched the episode 1,2,3 talks about the construction of the two ships Olympic and Titanic, this would be very good score of 10 I do not see time to see the continuation

Emilie

Aug 10, 2013
Saint-Étienne, France
I would never advise anyone to watch this fail.
Apart from shipyard exteriors design, nothing is historically accurate.
A profusion of fake characters that detroy the otherwise amazing at first ideal of Titanic ´s birth storytelling.
I watched once the whole series, online, in French.
My eyes began to bleed green at the first minutes of episode one, and kept going towards the end....

Emilie

Aug 10, 2013
Saint-Étienne, France
Lord Pirrie

I find it surprising that Lord Pirrie (brilliantly played by actor Derek Jacobi) is portrayed as a sympathetic character. My understanding is that Lord Pirrie was a robber-baron (for lack of a better phrase), who forced Belfast taxpayers to pay for the construction of Harland & Wolff's new drydock where Titanic was assembled.

I suspect that the producers of this TV series will continue their Titanic saga because the money is in the reruns. The sinking is the climax and it would be very dramatic to see a jury trial for marine homicide in a fictionalized aftermath.
Yeah, and they turned Andrews as an arrogant prick.
No Carlisle,no Wilding and so one....
So much to dismiss...