Titanic blue prints on blue paper

Jun 26, 2004
Hello Samuel,

What were the mistakes you found? I am open to any input on the plans to make them as good as possible. Sorry I don't get to ET much anymore, but I have been very busy with Titanic and domestic related stuff.

Bruce Beveridge

S

Samuel Pozidis

Hi Bruce,

There is a 9'.0" height measurement of the shelter deck at the bow, refer to the sample below. It appears that the arrow ( indicating the height ) extends above the dotted line to the top of the hull or the deck, that actually measures to around 10'.0" if you include the small area above the dotted line. It should end at the dotted line.

There are a couple of other things I have found but I need to look at the plan again and confirm them.

98553.jpg

B

Brianne O'Brien

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this thread.. I couldn't find another place.

I was wondering if anyone knew about some detailed blueprints that are available for purchase. I have the one included in the boxed set, "Titanic: The Official Story" but I want something that gives an idea of where the staterooms were etc.. I have seen "Anatomy of the Titanic," would this be my best bet?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Brianne, per the link posted above, the plans produced by Bruce Beveridge are about the best you can get in the general layout of the Titanic as completed.

The plans you mentioned are nice but not the most accurate you're going to find. I wouldn't trust Anatomy of Titanic as this book made a lot of mistakes. To refresh, the link to get a copy of Bruce's work is at http://titanic-model.com/ga-plans/

As to detailed construction plans, they used to be available through Harland & Wolff but they no longer do this, and each 20 foot long sheet cost a bomb anyway. Their surviving documentation has been turned over to the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.

B

Brianne O'Brien

Phew! You guys are always so quick and concise when it comes to my questions. Thank you so much! Bruce's plans are very nice but pricey. Thanks again!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Those plans are nowhere near as pricey as what Harland and Wolff once offered. (They went at around $120.00 to $150.00 per sheet!
shock.gif
) They also happen to be the most accurate you'll get anywhere, and you don't need the back of an SUV to haul them around it.

S

Scott R. Andrews

Hi Mike,

I just happened upon this thread. Regarding the prices you remember, approximately $150 per sheet was for the least expensive ones, which were in the less than 10-foot range and ran between £75 and £125. The big 15 to 20-footers ran from about £175 to £250, or as much as $400 per sheet at the time (1.00 GBP was about equal to 1.63 USD at the time), and the sheets that fell in this latter range far outnumbered those in the less-expensive category. (And, never mind that SUV -- given what H&W was charging for those things, when Roy Mengot brings his copies of the H&W drawings to a gathering, he should really be packin' heat and driving a Brinks truck!)

The only reason I bring this up is to highlight, for those who are unaware, the costs involved in obtaining primary sources when doing the research for projects such as Bruce Beveridge's general arrangement plans. This also applies to the many decent technical references which have been published in the past few years. When I hear people refer to some of these resources as "pricey", I find this often betrays to a lack of understanding of the true costs involved in obtaining the materials necessary to produce an accurate and meaningful final result. And, then, there's the many hundreds -- often thousands -- of hours of work involved in distilling all of this information into a comprehensible and manageable resource that the average person can decipher...

Regards,
Scott Andrews

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
Scott:
I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. One other factor in the mix also has to do with the availability of the primary sources such as the H&W plans. It is said that the Merseyside Museum now holds this archive but they have had the archive for a number of years now and there still is no access. There isn't even a catalog of what they hold. On the darker side, it has been fairly reliably rumored that many of these original plans were sold into private collections prior to the Merseyside transfer. It is not clear that even if Merseyside made these plans available again what remains. There was a small window during the Cameron Titanic heydey when copies of these plans could be obtained from H&W. Some of us spoke openly of our desire that someone create a permanent archive (preferably electronic) of these materials. Some of the plans had been handled and copied so many times that they were beginning to deteriorate. If the plans had been electronically scanned at that time they could have survived for posterity. I am somewhat disappointed that some of the major Titanic societies did not take the lead in that effort.
Now I fear that even the copies that are in private hands such as Roy, Bruce,and whoever else invested in them are going to be the only ones accessible for a long time. I am not an expert on copyright law but I don't see why the holders of these copies couldn't make copies of them for sale. They would still be quite expensive but at least they would be accessible.
Regards,
Bob Read

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>When I hear people refer to some of these resources as "pricey", I find this often betrays to a lack of understanding of the true costs involved in obtaining the materials necessary to produce an accurate and meaningful final result.<<

And I'm not disagreeing with any of that either. I'm well aware of what things cost and the reasons for it. When I mention "Pricey" it's to give people a heads up that what they're looking for may well be out of their reach. I'd love to have the all the working drawings, diagrams and builders plans in my own library, but I'd have to take up contract hits for The Mob to afford it if I was to try to buy the lot today.

S

Scott R. Andrews

Hi Mike,

I know that you are well aware of the reasons for why things cost what they do; also, my comments weren't directed towards your assessment of the cost of copies of the now-unavailable H&W plans -- at $400 a pop for copies of these babies, they qualified as "pricey" no matter how you slice it!

Rather, my comments were directed towards those who may not understand how good a value they are really receiving when they purchase some of the latest reference materials that have become available. The Beveridge general arrangements were referred to above as "nice, but pricey", which is what prompted me to post, since the word "pricey" tends to carry connotations of "overpriced". With well into five figures invested in the research materials employed, and God-only-knows how many hours drafting work on top of that, they actually represent a very good value indeed!

Best,
Scott Andrews

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Rather, my comments were directed towards those who may not understand how good a value they are really receiving when they purchase some of the latest reference materials that have become available.<<

Ah...okay...sorry for the misunderstanding then.

Oct 27, 2005
hey I have been looking for..nice detailed blueprints of the Titanic for a long time.
The ones I know and the only ones I can have are on these sites:
http://www.abratis.de/sources/pictures/blue.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/titanic/explorer/explorer.html

I've bee looking for ones that I could have with myself...but didn't look like the ink is all messed up..you can't see the details ( Details,which is the thing I'm looking for)..the best blueprints I've seen are the ones on the Discovery Channel site. I know that there are actual plans of the Titanic that you can buy on the internet that look like the ones on the Discovery Channel site.....but...I don't want to visit a web site every time I want to look at them....I want to have them right away in some file. I can't buy them over the net because my dad is not very fond of online shopping(don't ask why)
I'm so into Titanic that I bet I'm the one at my school that knows more about it then anyone else...I want good blueprints that I can rely on my research for a book I'm going to right...
I know..I'm 16 years old and I'm writing a novel that includes Titanic...I know it's kinda weird and unusual but it's true...I'm that addicted to this ship.
I was just asking if someone could help me with this because I can't buy anything...I dont want "blurry" blueprints...and I dont want to visit a website everytime I searching for what I'm looking for.
Can anyone help me?...Like if anyone has the prints that look like the discovery channel ones...could send it to me through e-mail? I do not want to comercialize this in any way. This is just pure interest in the ship.
If you're considering this I'll be happy to talk with the person through e-mails to organize things.

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
Joao:
Go to this website: http://titanic-model.com/ga-plans/

Click on the option to pay with checks or money order. Print out the form and send it with payment to the address at the bottom. These are very good plans, they are relatively inexpensive, and you don't have to order over the internet.
That is everything you were asking for.

Regards,
Bob Read

Oct 27, 2005
My dad doesnt let me spend money on anything that comes from the internet. All I can do is like..go to the sites and enjoy the blueprints in the Discovery Channel site. The thing is I can't spend money. My dad thinks it's stupid for me to like this and all of that. That is why i was asking for someone to give me the plans...if they had very good ones..and send them to me via e-mail...and I'm portuguese( which means I live in Portugal) and all those money issues of transport of the product just dont help at all. All I have are those prints you see in the first site I gave...then I the internet ones on the Discovery Channel site. I just wanted good ones..like the DC ones...but ones that I could have in my computer in a file or something.
I know it's kinda bad to be asking for something and not paying for it, but that's not what I want to do. If I could buy things over the Internet I would have tons of books about Titanic and stuff but I can't...which sucks.
I'm complelty fanatic about this ship and it's like im encaged in this damn country...and half the sites i go to dont even have the option of shipping to Portugal.

Feb 7, 2005
Last night I (finally) ordered Bruce Beveridge's "Titanic General Arrangement Plans." Why it took me so long, I don't know! Oh well, better late than never...

Many thanks to Bruce, Scott, and Daniel for all the hard work (and personal fortune!) they invested in creating this important reference work--and making it available to all of us.

Denise

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
Joao:
I'll try one last time.
In the link I provided above, you can order the plans through the mail. You do not have to order over the internet. Here's the link again:
http://titanic-model.com/ga-plans/. If you can't order through the mail then you're out of luck because none of the plans services deliver to your house like a pizza :). If you really want them they are there. These are all honest people. They wont cheat you. If they would we would have heard about it by now and we haven't.

Regards,
Bob Read

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
Joao:
I have been told by Bruce Beveridge who sells the plans that for foreign orders without a credit card that orders can be placed through regular mail through the Titanic Historical Society. Here's the link: http://secured.titanichistoricalsociety.org/shop/tek9.asp?pg=products&grp=25

You won't get a more reputable seller than the Titanic Historical Society. If your dad can't trust them then there's nobody he can trust.

Regards,
Bob Read