Titanic Bodies on seabed

S

sue cooper

Don, are you referring to my remark about the wedding that took place at the wreck and my comment on future weddings that may take place at the WTC?

I said I was disgusted by the wedding taking place at the site of the Titanic wreck because I believe the site to be a graveyard, a memorial to those who perished that night. In the case of the WTC, you have a good point, Don. I can understand the feelings of a relative of a person who died there wanting to remember and honour the relative by having a wedding ceremony at ground zero. I see nothing wrong with this. I would feel the same should a descendant of one of the Titanic passengers or crew members decide to marry at the wreck site. I feel this would be appropriate and not in bad taste. They would be doing it in order to honour and feel close to their lost loved ones, almost as though their loved ones were "attending" the wedding. Far from feeling disgusted, I would feel touched by this tribute.

However, what I was objecting to were people who have no connection whatsoever with what happened at the WTC or on the Titanic deciding to get married there for publicity reasons, like the couple who wed near the Titanic wreck. This is what I find distasteful.

I hope I have managed to clear things up here, Don
happy.gif

Warmest regards,
Sue

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
I could not agree with you more Sue. I do not know the story of the couple you refer to, but yes, it is disgusting. They probably do not share the feelings we all share here on Titanic.

Glad we cleared that up!
happy.gif
!
Take care, Don

L

lisagay harrod

Hello All,

Interesting thread you all have going here..imploding sinus cavities, tannic acid, crab pots, weddings, of course I HAD to add my 2 cents worth.
; )

Maybe I'm off base here, but for me, the biggest difference between the Titanic and the World Trade Center is that the first was an accident (see Wrath of God thread for complete debate), the other was an act of terrorism. Both places are indeed "Hallowed Ground", but the differences in the nature of the two tragedies are not subtle.

A wedding at the site of Titanics' demise is, for lack of a better word, weird, but even so it's been 90 years, and that takes alittle of the sting out of wedding planning at 2 miles below the oceans' surface. Besides, for some people (myself NOT included) it may be just a case of fascination with the Era, Luxury Liners, the Sea...whatever captures the imagination.

Will similar events take place at "Ground Zero" 90 years from now? Probably, unless the human race evolves at a faster rate than it is currently evolving. But I don't see people viewing the Twin Towers with anything like romance or imagination. It will always be a place where innocents were brutally murdered. It lacks romance in my book. That's why I have trouble comparing the two disasters in the context of bad taste.

I agree with Don & Sue. A wedding above the deck of Titanic is definitely bad form, but such an event at Ground Zero is unthinkable...even 90 years from now. Just an opinion expressed for consideration.

Again, an interesting thread.

Cheers,
Lisa Harrod

Dave Hudson

Apr 25, 2001
Lisa,

"Besides, for some people (myself NOT included) it may be just a case of fascination with the Era, Luxury Liners, the Sea...whatever captures the imagination."

Well, the Queen Mary is currently offering wedding rentals from $1,100 (only slightly cheaper than $50,000 per person).

However, you do make a good point. But on the other hand, if a movie (or its 2091 equivalent) comes out that sufficiently romanticizes it, who knows how people will react. Look at Pearl Harbor... I know that weddings aren't being held at the Arizona Memorial, but still.

David

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
That was meant like, "I say old man, there is a batch of messages for you from Cape Cod.", more than a reference to age.

Brenden, I liked every word you posted on your "bad taste" entry.

Think i'll go have a bud!
happy.gif
, Don

S

sue cooper

Don,
I think the wedding took place last year and I believe that a number of people from these boards wrote letters to the happy couple [though I am open to correction here] reminding them that the Titanic wreck site was a memorial to those who perished that night.
Whether this made any difference to the couple's attitude or not I do not know. Somehow I doubt it!

Take care, Don
happy.gif

Sue

L

lisagay harrod

Brendan,

Your observation on our fascination with the macabre is so astute...why do we do that?! It's tornado season where I live. When the sky begins to threaten you'll find more than a few of us out on the porch with our mini-cams in hand. There are ALWAYS "Lookie-Lous" after a hit as well...myself included. It's so bloody compelling to see the damaged wrought by Mother Nature. Like slowing down as you pass a car wreck, or poring over pictures of the wreck site of Titanic...human nature I guess.

David,

You hit the nail on the head, and reminded me that people will romanticize almost anything to make a buck!

Sue,

I believe you started this thread, and it's proven most interesting. Way to go! If I missed you on the introduction thread, let me welcome you again to ET. Happy posting!

Cheers All,
Lisa

S

sue cooper

Thank you Lisa. Your welcome was greatly appreciated by me.

I only recently found this site, though I have been a Titanic buff for quite some time, and I am most impressed not only by the knowledge of the people here but also by their friendliness and willingness to share their great knowledge. Long may this excellent site reign!

Take care, Lisa
happy.gif

Sue

May 5, 2001
Hi Sue,

I'm sure this site will be here for many years, it is one of the most comprehensive ones you will ever find on the net........

Glad to have you aboard.

Regards,
Bill

K

Kathy Savadel

I just came across this thread....been away from ET for a few weeks. Interesting discussions! I thought you all might be interested to know that there is already a wedding planned at Ground Zero in NYC. A firefighter and a massage therapist who met at the site will marry there sometime soon. The story ran a week or so ago in our local (Virginia) newspaper. I will search around and try to dig up the link and post it.

Best regards,
Kathy

S

sue cooper

A very touching link, Kathy. Thank you for sharing it with us.
This couple have connections with Ground Zero, he was a firefighter and lost many of his friends there, she volunteered to help. So, I see nothing wrong in what they are doing. What I would object to and find sickening is if anyone with no connection to these tragic events were to marry there simply for publicity.

Warmest regards,
Sue

J

James MacPherson

A really interesting, if somewhat macabre thread. I know it gave me some things to think about.

As for the fascination with the macabre, well, that does seem to be a human foible, doesn't it? Witness the stopping to look at, say, an auto wreck. Specific to this thread, tho, I think that what else is going on is the desire of the human mind for knowledge. If there is a question to be asked, rest assured that it WILL be asked.

Thanks, guys for all the input. A fascinating subject.

T

Tom Pappas

Does anyone know how many paired shoes have been mapped? It has been suggested elsewhere that lots of the 1,200 bodies unaccounted for may have gone into the water without lifebelts and simply sank to the bottom. That assertion would carry more weight if it could be backed up with the presence of large quantities of leather artifacts in the debris field.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Dr. Ballard alluded to the pairs of shoes found in the debris field and their realization that the way the shoes were positioned indicated that's where the bodies landed. All that was left was the leather shoes laid in pairs just where their feet touched bottom. What angers me is that some salvagers have actually recovered these shoes!!! I couldn't believe it when I saw it on a recent documentary.

Kyrila

T

Tom Pappas

What angers me is how the salvagers justify this plunder by stating, straight-faced, that the shoes simply fell out of the ship. They had been left outside the cabin doors by passengers, you see, in anticipation of having them shined.

J

James MacPherson

The whole topic of salvagers and personal items being "salvaged" (savaged?) from the debris is one that tends to bring out language in me that would likely get me banned from this message board, so all I will say is that I am appalled at the things done by the salvagers. Unfortunately, with RMSTI apparently giving up salvage rights, the situation may well get worse with it being "open season" on the wreck and debris area.
Let us hope that the obstacles to drag up more unnecessary relics are too much for any subsequent salvors.