Titanic Book of the Year Award for 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2000
The Titanic Book of the Year Award© for the best book published in 2004 goes to:

Titanic and Olympic, The Truth Behind the Conspiracy, by Steve Hall & Bruce Beveridge.

The author’s made use of the latest photographic enhancement techniques to examine original photographs of Olympic and Titanic and came up with an amazing number of examples detailing just how different these supposedly identical sister ships really were. The rivet counters amongst us went nuts.

But the book appealed to the average reader as well, as the author’s used this information to finally put to rest beyond any reasonable doubt that there was ever a conspiracy to switch Olympic with Titanic. Sure, many of us have the knowledge on the subject to know the switch was never a viable possibility, but most casual readers don't have that advantage. Here is a book that finally tells them the other side of the conspiracy story.

It was for the clever blend of these two elements that, in the end, tipped the scales on what was a very tight race for this year's award.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Jun 4, 2000
Goodo.

I hope this further promotion of Titanic and Olympic, The Truth Behind the Conspiracy will result in even more copies in circulation and more people reading it. There's a lot of work for this one book to undo.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Good choice, Mike - I understand that not only is it a valuable work on laying the Conspiracy theory to rest, but it also provides a valuable reference source on the Olympic class ships.

Mark Chirnside's book is another great tome! A good year for Olympic class officiandoes all 'round.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Personally, I was wondering if TMiB would have to flip a coin on the candidates to choose from produced some truely excellant work. Mark's work on the Olympic in particular takes a detailed look at a liner which was quite beloved and popular in her day, but which has been all but forgotten in the years since she went to the breakers.

Bruce and Steve IMO had a leg up in several respects, not only in firmly refuting an utterly bogus "Theory" but also in showcasing the vast number of small but signifigent differences between the two sisters. Ships are nothing if not only evolutionary, but also in their constantly evolving so that what comes later often bears surprisingly little resemblance to the original design.

Bruce, Steve, congratulations!

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I concur, good pick Michael. From what I've read on here, this book is very worthy to have in one's collection. It's definitely on my list of books to own.

Congratulations to both authors!

Steven Hall

Aug 8, 2001
To everyone that has posted comment on ET since the book was released in April last year - both myself and Bruce have appreciated the feedback and kind support. To those whom emailed us privately, we also express a big thank you.
To Monica Hall for her comprehensive book review on ET and Phil Hind for posting it up on the site.

I would like to additionally express my appreciation to Scott & Karen Andrews with proof-reading and additional text, also for Scott’s technical assistance within certain chapters. I would also like to thank Kathy Savadel for her tireless work in editing the book.

To Michael ‘TheManInBlack’ Tennaro for awarding us his coveted ‘Titanic Book of the Year Award for 2004’, a big thank you. Michael, I know Bruce was absolutely elated yesterday after hearing the news. As for Myself — I still was still grinning like the Cheshire cat when I got up today.

All of this assistance, coverage, feedback and help we received over the last several months has contributed significantly to the early success of the book.

This book award is without doubt the cherry on the top of the cake.

Steve Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.