Titanic book The Good The Bad The Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Perez

Jul 10, 2005
Good: The ship itself, the sets, costumes, the cast

Bad: Love story could've been done better, bad screenplay, bad dialogue, so many goofs and inaccuracies, characters could've been portray a lot better

Ugly: Haters who can't justify why they hate the movie, Leo-mania back in '97-98, most of the movies success was due to teenage girls who flocked the theaters to see DiCaprio

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I will add:
The Good: The ship itself, which is the real star of the movie. It also helps remind people of the tragedy of 1912. A few days after the film was released, I saw one woman at a Crown Books store; she had a whole bunch of Titanic books, that she was reviewing.

The Bad: All the people who obsessed too much about Jack & Rose. Also, people who like to state "The Ship sank. Get over it"; not the most tactful statement, since none of these people would have made similar statements about recent tragedies.

The Ugly: All the various "love offerings" at the grave of trimmer Joseph Dawson.

Kevin Perez

Jul 10, 2005
''Also, people who like to state "The Ship sank. Get over it"; not the most tactful statement, since none of these people would have made similar statements about recent tragedies.''

Yes, I would have to agree with there. Just because this happened almost a century ago doesn't mean we should ''get over it'', that's like the same for any other historical event that's played 'some' role in history. Sadly though, there are some (or a lot of) people that don't care. It's best to just accept it, as cold and mean as that sounds.

Mar 20, 1997
Good: The majority of the major events down to the minutae of the ship were rendered quite accurately. Also the emotional impact of the sinking especially the terrifying last stages and aftermath.

Bad: The handful of inaccuracies as well as the portrayal of some real life people such as Lightoller and the Countess of Rothes.

Ugly: On opening night, after the sinking and the people freezing to death, every adolescent girl in the theater then sobbed hysterically during Leo's death scene. I felt I was in the Twilight Zone and was practically clutching the arm of my friend (something I didn't do during the rest of the movie). :)

Mar 20, 1997
As an addendum: A few months later, I happened to catch a show of Celebrity Death Match on MTV. This was a show that had Claymation versions of celebrities enter a ring and wrestle and fight each other until one is literally a bloody pulp.

This one had Leo facing off with Jack Nicholson. First Leonardo arrogantly strutted around the ring to the delight of all the screaming teenage girls packing the stands. Then Jack proceeds to rip Leo's head and limbs off in 15 seconds flat.

The now furious girls come storming out of the stands and proceed to rampage through the entire set, ripping down lights, booms, equipment and chasing down Nicholson and all the fight officials.

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
Hey all! Just thought I'd add my two pennies

Good: the special effects, the portrayal of Thomas Andrews, the score (to a certain extent), the feeling of tension on the bridge when the berg is spotted (even though you know what happens), and the only reason I ever watch that film nowadays is to see the ship sink; it sounds sadistic, but I love it! I just have to keep telling myself that the people dying in that film aren't real...

Bad: That love story, all the historical inaccuracies, the bit where EJ turns his back on mother and infant as the ship sinks, the obnoxious retards mentioned by Kev - there's this one in particular on the IMDb messageboards; 'thecrazyboy', he's called. He's a right knob-head...

Jus' kiddin' Kev.

L

Lesley Jean-Baptiste

Adding my 2 cents
Good: The special effects, trying to keep the story accurate, having a website which states the inaccuracies of the movie, the plot to a certain extent.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120338/goofs
Bad: the idiocy (don't think its a word but hopefully you get what i mean) of the plot.
Ugly: people thinking the love story is true and forgeting all the history which is put into the film

L

Lesley Jean-Baptiste

of course also good the set and costumes (love the costumes kate winslett wears, i wish we could dress like that again)

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
I think that Edwardian fashion were reet gud, an' all (pardon the Yorkshire accent). Only for the ladies, though; the blokes looked like right toffs wearing toppers and those coats... I forget the name of them. And those moustaches... urrrgh *shudders*
Edwardian womens fashion was great... no, I'm not gay :eek:)

Jul 11, 2001
I'm not sure, but I might be offended at that remark LOL. But then again, I do like to get all dressed up in a Tux for an occasion. So maybe I do fit a stereotype.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Good: Sets and Victor Garber.

Bad and Ugly: Everything else. Delineating between the two would be largely pointless though the script would certainly be in the extremely-ugly category.

Oct 8, 2005
Good: The sets, the special effects, and the costumes. Performences by Kate Winslet, Billy Zane, Frances Fisher, Victor Garber and Gloria Stuart.

Bad: A lot of cheesy dialouge, sterotype characters, unbelieveable love story (I do enjoy it personally but it's not at all realistic IMHO), should've focused on the real passengers of the ship instead of the fictional characters Cameron created.

A

Adam Tarzwell

The Good: The special effects, the perfect capture of panic as the ship sank, the portrayal of Thomas Andrews, the sets, the costumes and above all the score. The score is what made the movie for me IMO.

The Bad: The portrayal of Captain Smith and other historic characters, the script

The Ugly: All the people who hate Titanic just to hate Titanic. Of course when something as mega popular as Titanic comes about people are always going to want to bring it down. Justified or not. In my opinion it is one of the best motion pictures in history. It broke ground for special effects and most effectively portrayed the sinking and the ensuing panic.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
>Ugly: On opening night, after the sinking and >the people freezing to death, every adolescent >girl in the theater then sobbed hysterically >during Leo's death scene. I felt I was in the >Twilight Zone and was practically clutching the >arm of my friend (something I didn't do during >the rest of the movie). :)

On our opening night in Leicester Square, the audience applauded the film!

A

Adam Tarzwell

As they did here and the theatre lay motionless and not a sound throughout most the sinking scenes.... it was quite the sight.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
yes, I remember how moved the audience was by the film (even people who I am sure later said they hated it) Everyone started clapping as the Glass dome faded to blackness and James Cameron's name faded onto screen.

The final scene of the movie has to be the best final scene for any Titanic movie. Love story or not, I found this scene with its wonderful score from James Horner, its great special effects, and touching final moments giving me chills as it played out. I still get chills looking at the scene watching Titanic's passengers and crew "applauding in the utter darkness of the abyss"

Jan 31, 2001
The Good: The stunning recreations of the Titanic, both interior and exterior. The sinking and break-up sequences. The soundtrack (save for "My Heart Will Go On").

The Bad: The beyond-unbelievable love triangle, which could have never taken place in real life. Also, some of the dialogue did fall flat, but overall I didn't have a problem with it.

The Ugly: Leo! Nah; I would've said that a few years ago, but he fully redeemed himself in my eyes with The Aviator. Hmmm...I would have to say the little boy who sat behind me in the theater repeating many of the characters' lines. Also, the teeny boppers who wept openly at the end of the film. Oh, and let's not forget those who believe the film to be a 100% realistic portrayal of the story of the Titanic, and believe if it wasn't shown in the film, it didn't happen, and vice versa. Come on, I'm sure we've all met at least one!

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi Brandon

> Oh, and let's not forget those who believe the film to be a 100% realistic portrayal of the story of the Titanic, and believe if it wasn't shown in the film, it didn't happen, and vice versa. Come on, I'm sure we've all met at least one! <

We sure have; a few of them frequent this website!!

Feb 24, 2004
There are researchers who believe that, if it wasn't covered in the two Inquiries, it didn't happen, so don't feel bad.
'-)

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 18, 2003
New Jersey,USA
Good:The sets,costumes and the ship Titanic
Bad:The Jack and Rose lovy dovy love story.It never would have happened aboard the real Titanic.
Ugly:Jack screaming out loud "I'm The King of The World.

Status
Not open for further replies.