Titanic books you maybe shouldn't have bought.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
At one point I had over 100 books on the subject but I have seriously cut that down over the years. Of course among those were some right howlers; I briefly owned the Gardiner book, and also Butler's; suffice to say, both are now long gone. I'm also not a fan of the obvious invention in Pellegrino's books- stern sectionon 'on fire'? Andrews smashing down doors? A passenger out on the tip of the bow? Reams of dialogue? All inventions, leaving any serious factual content difficult to sift out of the nonsense.
I wish I had over 100 Titanic books, I'd be happy forever.

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
I think I may have overpaid for Pellegrino's "Farewell Titanic", and I got that for 50 cents at a public library used book sale. The biggest thing I got out of it was Charles Pellegrino wanted to make absolutely sure we knew that he was on an expedition to the Titanic during the 9/11 attacks.

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
I think I may have overpaid for Pellegrino's "Farewell Titanic", and I got that for 50 cents at a public library used book sale. The biggest thing I got out of it was Charles Pellegrino wanted to make absolutely sure we knew that he was on an expedition to the Titanic during the 9/11 attacks.
Nope, "Farewell Titanic: Her Final Legacy" is a good, super good, read. Sure he talked about 9/11 alot, but, I liked how he talked about the support from their Russian Friends. I learned a ton, like about the "white worms" and stuff. I laughed when I read the part how we americans tried to build a rocket from a liquor called "Shelia", and the Russians confiscated it. It turned out they kept it and it was a souvenir from their "Crazy american and Canadian Friends"

I learned Samuel Hemming's hatch is still open.

I rather liked it. Its only $20 bucks on Amazon. I want to read "Her Name: Titanic" next!

Or should I get "Ghosts of the Titanic" first?

Last edited:

Mike Bull2019

Oct 8, 2019
UK
Pellegrino wanted to make absolutely sure we knew that he was on an expedition to the Titanic during the 9/11 attacks.
Oh, really? He never said!

Just came back to this thread to say, I think the worst Titanic related book I ever read was some time travel story where a young woman went back to 1912, pretended to be a boy, and eventually ended up married to Thomas Andrews...excruciating stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Oh, really? He never said!

Just came back to this thread to say, I think the worst Titanic related book I ever read was some time travel story where a young woman went back to 1912, pretended to be a boy, and eventually ended up married to Thomas Andrews...excruciating stuff.
Excuse me, what the hell?

You must explain, Mike LOL

J Sheehan

Aug 23, 2019
Cork, Ireland
Oh! I actually have one!

"Titanic: The Ship Magnificent."

Not because of the quality of the content (I frequently reference it and read through it on my spare time), but because it's so large and heavy and I travel frequently. If I go on a plane, I have to build my suitcase around it or carry it on me at all times. I often have to leave it at home and be without it for months on end for this reason.

I have no solution to this since the sheer breadth and depth of detail is the reason I forked over the moolah for it. The only thing I can think of to this is an electronic version, and I'm not sure how feasible that is.
Now come on everyone...don't bad mouth good books like Titanic The Ship Magnificent.

They are on the big and bulky side, but they have to be for a reason.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The only thing I'm going to say about Butler is that he quite obviously never read the book "How To Win Friends And Influence People" based on the way he would behave in mesage [sic] boards and internet forums.<<

Which has nothing to do with the quality of his work.

I've known the man for years. He makes no pretense of being a diplomat, which I find very appealing. Agree with him or not as you wish (I know that you will) you never have any doubt as to where you stand with him. That's why I like the guy.

Now having established that, Dan is principally a military historian and a very good one at that. There are a lot of matters, particularly naval history and current naval affairs where we see eye to eye on nearly everything. If anybody has a problem with that, well, that's exactly what it is: Their problem. Not mine.

Mila

Sep 28, 2016
The quality of someone's work cannot always be judged by the character of the person.
But a quality of a book could be judged by a character of an author who ignores and/or refuses to address the questions about his work as you did, when I asked you how come that in your latest book you used Maltin‘s research without giving him any credit (should I call it “plagiarism”?}, misquoted Dr. Young and said that Marengo was at the same longitude the Titanic was at the time of the sinking, while she was hundreds of miles away.
Besides you cannot explain an odd transformation of Carpathia into MT, or why Carpathia rockets, and later the Carpathia herself were seen southward of the Californian, if according to your “forensic” approach they should have been SSE.
And these are the questions only to begin with. I do have many more. Are you willing to address them? I mean any author should be interested in discussing his work, and proving his opponents are wrong. If you are, maybe the thread about your book should be reopened or you are afraid to reopen it?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
You obviously never read the Acknowledgement section Mila, and I never "quoted" Dr Young but gave a reference to his work for those who want to read more on the subject of looming and stooping. The only other place I directly referenced his work is in App I. Anyway, I'll stand behind by my work anytime, and I am open to constructive criticisms by any well intentioned person when it is offered. On the other hand, your negativity to those that don't agree with you is very telling.

Mila

Sep 28, 2016
You obviously never read the Acknowledgement section Mila, and I never "quoted" Dr Young but gave a reference to his work for those who want to read more on the subject of looming and stooping. The only other place I directly referenced his work is in App I. Anyway, I'll stand behind by my work anytime, and I am open to constructive criticisms by any well intentioned person when it is offered. On the other hand, your negativity to those that don't agree with you is very telling.
Well, your post has proven that it is not me but you who react negatively on every attempt to discuss your book unless a person who is discussing it agrees with you in 99.99% of your statements.

Back to your book. Ah, I see. Acknowledgement section explains why you copied Maltin’s disinformation about Marengo into your book. And, besides, you should know how to use references. About Dr. Young, you yourself came up with his name, when I asked you about an absurd statement made in your book in regards to looming.

No, Sam, it has nothing to do with you are not agreeing with me. I am not even talking about “constructive criticism” of your book. I am talking about discussing it. I am a reader, and I did not understand how a vessel that was Carpathia suddenly became MT. You failed to prove your case. IMO it is one of the most absurd parts of your book. But let us try one more time. Why Carpathia was seen southwards of the Californian and when and how she became MT? Is not this a fair question to ask, Sam?

Last edited:

Mila

Sep 28, 2016
Asked and answered, Mila. Don't waste your time trying to be obtuse with me. All you'll get for your trouble is a curt dismissal.
Well, Michael, you have just demonstrated that you are a regular Halpern's reader who has not a slightest idea what he is talking about.

And, I am not looking for a dismissal or an approval, definitely not for yours. I am only trying to find out what really happened on that night in regards to the Titanic and Californian. OK, Michael sees no mystery here, but I do. Below is a plot made by Dr. Lee, which I slightly modified. On this plot you could see the position of Californian, and Boxhall's green flare and the route of Carpathia. All of these was plotted by Dr, Lee. I only added the white circle (an approximate position of Carpathia's rockets as they were seen from the Californian). As it is clear from the plot Carpathia would have missed the lifeboats if the situation were as it is shown in the plot. So the question is how come that Carpathia was seen southwards from Californian.

Attachments

• Lee plot.jpg
    Lee plot.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited: