Titanic Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tracy Staunton

Greetings, I am new to this board and just wanted to ask a few questions. First, was just wondering if anyone had suggestions for good Titanic books? I'm a mom of two young girls and up until now, didn't have time to enjoy reading*g*. Also, I managed to pick up "Titanic and the Great Lakes Connections" by Kris Kohl, which is wonderful and just wanted to see if anyone has read it and any comments. Thanks!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Several come to mind. One of the very best is "Titanic, Triumph and Tragedy" By Eaton & Haas as well as any of the other books these two men have written on the subject. Also, Michael McCaughan's "The Birth of the Titanic". Also, Senan Maloney's "The Irish Aboard the Titanic"

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 8, 2001
Polar the Titanic Bear is a poiniant childrens story to read. If you want to get lost in beautiful paintings (that tell a story in itself) I must say that "Titanic an Illustrated History" is THE one to buy. Mike and Bill are spot on as well. Their suggestions are very good too.
Colleen

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
You should also go down to the Titanic Books thread where many Titanic books have been discussed. One of my favorite subthreads is "Your Titanic Collection of Books". You should get a lot of titles to search for on that subthread.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
"Polar, the Titanic Bear" is not only a poignant children's story, but it was written by Titanic survivor, Daisy Spedden, for her young son, Douglas, who carried a Steiff polar bear with him all the time. He nearly lost it during rescue, and it inspired his mother to write the story and present it to him as a gift. After Douglas' untimely death in a car accident, Daisy packed the book away where it remained until just a few years ago. The family has graciously published the book (I believe the beautiful illustrations are by a relative of Daisy's) for all of us to enjoy. It's one of my favorites to take along on babysitting jobs.

Kyrila

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
Steiff....I had an entire collection of Steiff stuffed animals as a child, that had belonged to my brother and sister before me. I only have one Steiff left, an Afghan hound from the late 60s

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
John Wilson Foster's "The Titanic Reader", from Penguin Books, ISBN: 0141184833, calls itself, quite accurately, "A grand synthesis of a century's fascination with the Titanic's fate." It is a wonderful collection of excerpts of writing relating directly or indirectly to Titanic---from Beesley, Lightoller, Gracie, Lord, Marcus, Shaw, Conan Doyle, Ballard, Bullock, Astor, Robertson, and on and on. For a newcomer, it's a great way to gain at least some familiarity with almost every subject related to Titanic...technical information, sociological analysis, Californian, salvage, etc. For those of us who are no longer newcomers, it's a good refresher and ready reference for the kinds of things we've no doubt read over the years, but can never put our hands on at a moment's notice. In short, this is a terrific book for anyone interested in the subject.

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
My two favorites are "Titanic, End of a Dream", by Wyn Craig Wade.
And, "Her Name, Titanic" by Charles Pellegrino.
Colleen is right on the money with "Titanic,An illustrated History" Very nice book!

Don

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
"Discovery of the Titanic" and "Exploring the Titanic" by Dr. Robert D. Ballard, "The Complete Titanic" by Stephen J. Spignesi are good books.

The other suggestions that have been posted here are excellent choices as well.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
My favorites include "Illustrated History", "A Night to Remember", "Polar the Titanic Bear", and "The Discovery of the Titanic".

I also recommend "Titanic Voices" by the team of Hyslop, Forsyth, and Jemina, for a detailed chronicle on the Titanic's impact on Southampton, as well as a good reading about the experiences of the ship's crew.

Finally, for young readers, a wonderful work of fiction is "Titanic Crossing", by Barbara Williams. This story, truly, gives a wonderful account of what it was like for one of the passengers, even if it was told from the perspective of a 13-year old boy. The experiences of at least two survivors were used, quite well, as reference material for the characters of Albert, the main character, and Emily, a fellow passenger Albert befriends.

John Clifford

T

Tracy Staunton

Thanks everyone, I am fortunate to live near a store in town here, the Lighthouse Store, that carries everything nautical, which is where I picked up "Titanic, The Great Lakes Connections" and fully intend on going back there to see if they have any other Titanic titles. And I will also say I'm in agreement with Jason regarding "Discovery of Titanic" by Dr. Robert D. Ballard. I thought I had lost my copy of that particular book and was fortunate enough to find it again when I went through some of my belongings.

Thanks again for all your help!

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Tracy,

You're welcome from me. Good to hear you own "Discovery of Titanic" which is one of my favourites.

I see from your profile that you live in Midland...well I live in Toronto, so we're not too far from each other.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dec 13, 1999
Hi Tracy & Jason,

I was in both Toronto & Midland last year - lovely bit of the country 'eh! I was overwhelmed by the friendliness of everyone there. I just love Canada and The States - off again to Canada in three weeks - get the kettle on!!

Geoff

D

Deleted member 173198

Jason and Tracy!

Geoff doesn't only drink you out of house, but he also eats you out of house! So be warned of whats coming to Canada!.....Smile Geoff!

Best wishes

Andrew W.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Geoff and Andrew!

Geoff, I wish I had known you were in Toronto last year, since it would be a pleasure to meet you!! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here. Whereabouts in Canada are you going to be in, in three weeks?

Andrew, LOL! Thanks for the warning!
happy.gif

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dec 13, 1999
Hi Jason,

All over the East really, Halifax, Rimouski, Quebec, Montreal etc. That's if they let me back in after the incident with the baguette at the Customs point!!!

Geoff

Dec 13, 1999
I was with Alan in April, he is going to try and meet up but thinks he might be in Europe at that time. - the things people will do to avoid me!!

Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.