Titanic by Geoff Tibballs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Simons

Mar 12, 2005
I was wondering if anyone knows if the author Geoff Tibballs is trustworthy for accurate info. In this book he said that Guggenheim departed from Southhampton, which is wrong. He labels the Verendah and Palm Court as the Perisian Cafe, and others. Thanks!

Jul 20, 2000
Hello Matt,

There may be errors, including the rather odd "Widener photo" on page 65 as well as some of the material taken from 1912 publications; but Tibballs does not have Guggenheim boarding at Southampton. He is already talking about Cherbourg when he says: "As at Southampton, the first-class passenger list was small but select. ....."
It is merely a comparison between the numbers boarding at both ports, not a statement that Guggenheim [or the others named on page 58] boarded at Southampton.

Matt Simons

Mar 12, 2005
But in the same line he says "Foremost among them was 47 year old American mining king Benjamin Guggenheim". I believe he is saying BJ boarded at Southhampton, unless I'm mistaking something. This on the bottom of page 57.

Jul 20, 2000
Hello Matt,

Yes I know. But further up the page [page 57] Tibballs has commenced to tell us about Cherbourg. He then [still on page 57] says: "As at Southampton ....." In other words the same as at Southampton; which is not the same as saying: "At Southampton". By using the adjective "as" meaning in this case the same as with Southampton Tibballs is telling us something. In this case that: As at Southampton a small but select group of 1st Class passengers boarded but they did so at "Cherbourg". Guggenheim is the first of several names. The other names being on page 58.

In no way whatsoever is Tibballs saying that Guggenheim boarded at Southampton.

I hope that makes what he wrote clearer for you?

Matt Simons

Mar 12, 2005
Thanks Lester. I reread it over and over and it suddenly made sense. I was breaking it down, but it has to be read as a whole. Thanks

P.S. Had trouble making a smily, so it's not on there. Do know how to properly make a smily.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Matt,

"Do know how to properly make a smily."

At the bottom of the page, you'll see a link that says 'Help/Instructions'. Click on that and then click on 'Formatting' for information on how to insert emotions in your posts.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi All

I saw this book by Geoff Tibballs in our local second-hand bookshop, yesterday. Is it just an illustrated coffee table-top book or does it have any merit? It was too hot to linger over so I thought I would seek an opinion from the Titanic book experts.

Oct 13, 2000
Ernie,
Tibball's book is a good, brisk retelling of the Titanic story from the initial dinner between Ismay & Pirrie in 1907 thru the filming of James Cameron’s movie in 1996. As you can see, the author covers quite a lot of ground in this book’s short 128 pages.

There’s nothing new here, but for a fairly comprehensive overview of the entire Titanic saga it does a rather good job. It does have its errors, but nothing too dramatic. Really though, it is aimed more at readers who are mostly unfamiliar with the Titanic saga.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Thanks for the comments, Michael. A bit more informative, than Ryan's. I'll see if it's still on the shelves.

Ryan, I was happy to let you have a spare copy of ANTR And although it's kind of you to reciprocate, I really don't want anything in return.

At this point Bob Godfrey will probably suggest that I am missing out on the opportunity of having the unedited poems of Ryan McKeefery. On reflection I would prefer my address to remain anonymous.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.