Titanic-Californian wireless message

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
Californian to Antillian 14th April 1912, Californian's form sent to MJL [Antillian] by CF Evans 5.35pm prefix MSG, words 22, charges scored through.

Capt Antillian
6.30pm
ATS Lat 42.3N Long 49.9W three large Bergs five miles to southward of us Regards
Lord

(Captain Lord and Captain Japha on The Antillian were well known to each other in the Leyland Line; Captain Lord had taken his first command when Captain Japha fell ill. They both lived in the Liverpool area).

(There is a lot of Evans' actions not recorded but can be surmised. It is quite an interesting subject for those of us so inclined).

(Incidentally, this single Marconigram in Booth's book - I don't know where it now is - is the only contemporaneous primary source document that we have from The Californian for that 14th/15th April period, so hence it's significance, and the 42.3N longitude of The Californian that evening, and in Captain Lord's own distinctive handwriting).

Cheers,

Julian

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

lucykathleen

May 12, 2020
Californian to Antillian 14th April 1912, Californian's form sent to MJL [Antillian] by CF Evans 5.35pm prefix MSG, words 22, charges scored through.

Capt Antillian
6.30pm
ATS Lat 42.3N Long 49.9W three large Bergs five miles to southward of us Regards
Lord

thanks

had jack seens it or harold bride

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
I've quoted the text, so enlargement should be unnecessary.

Bride heard it twice. Phillips was off duty no doubt asleep. Bride ignored it initially because he claimed he was writing up his accounts.

Cheers,

Julian

Elr James

May 10, 2020
can you send me the link