Titanic Catherine Zeta Jones

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

"...more believable than the Di Caprio/Winslet romance..."

I agree! In the miniseries Zeta Jones and Gallagher already knew each other and a romance between them makes much more sense than one between two characters from totally different worlds that meet each other and start a love relationship as they had know each other for ages. But they only met two days after the tragedy... silly story!

Kind regards,
João

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 14, 2011
The tv movie seems better after repeated viewings...Gallagher is fun to watch, because he has such a 'soap opera pretty boy' look- I cant take him seriously in any medioum outside of tv, so he was well suited for this tv special...
...Curiously his look reminded me of Billy Zane in Cameron's titanic- mabey it was the way they parted their hair...

The romance between the cockney would-be theif (who stole his ticket for Titanic) and Elsa, the uber religious Danish rape victim was nice...

Even their romance seemed more plausable than the jack/Rose thing...

May 3, 2005
>>Even their romance seemed more plausable than the jack/Rose thing...<<

IMHO, the Robert Wagner-Audrey Dalton sub-plot in "Titanic" (1953) comes off as "Number One" in comparison to the others. (Despite all the obvious short comings of the rest of the movie.)

Nov 26, 2005
I honestly found the Elsa/Jamie "Mr. Dickey" love story to be the most interesting (minus the rape thing, which was ridiculous) to be the more interesting love story of any Titanic flick.

Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwick's divorce story is, by far, the most interesting, IMO. Something different than the typical "Boy Meets Girl" story that most Titanic movies have fallen victim to.

Just my opinion though.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
I think a positive with the mini-series was that were alot of 'real' moments that were better than the Cameron film. Although, it was an invented scene- watching Bess Allison drag her family along the tilted first class corridor trying to find her son felt very real and also when the Jack family arrived on deck and the boy said, 'Papa wheres our boat?'- again it felt very real.
Mike

Nov 26, 2005
The scenes you mentioned are VERY high +'s to this film. Never before has the Allison story been told on film, and though a bit melodramatic in certain scenes, I'm sure both parents were frantic and it's nice to see that family touch brought to a Titanic film.

"Papa, where's our boat" was very real feeling and a real tearjerker. I enjoyed how Mr. Astor went back to the smoking room with the other gentlemen and accepted his death cordially, along with many other men that night.

I do wish that Thomas Andrews' character hand't been x'd at the last moment during script writing. If it weren't for that, I would almost call this the perfect Titanic movie. Minus the rape scene and take out a few minutes of Wynn Park/Esabella Paradine. And of course the visual effects could have been better, but I thought what we say sent the message across rather clearly.

Linda Cooper

Sep 23, 2007
I'm posting because this movie/mini-series is being shown on cable tonight.

I have yet to see the entire movie (just bits and pieces), so I really can't say what my opinion is on it. What I've seen, I'm not crazy about, but maybe if one day I watch the whole thing in it's entirety, I may change my opinion.

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
There are things that I liked and things that I did not like about this movie. I like that they included the stories of the Allison family in first class and of the Jack family in third class. The loss of entire families (yes I know Trevor Allison survived) is not something that is widely know outside of places like this.It was good to see some of those stories shown in a movie.

I did not like the Simon Doonan character (Tim Curry). The rape scene did not make a good impression on me. I also believe that George C. Scott was not used to his full potential in his roll as Captain Smith. He is such a great actor and he should have been given more screen time in this movie.

Overall I give this film a 7 out of 10.

May 27, 2007
Too bad they messed up on the Alice Cleaver bit. She wasn't a loony who through her baby from the train. I always wondered why she didn't grab Lorraine as well. Or grabbed Mrs. Allison and give her a good clean slap to stop the hysterics. I liked the movie of course I don't expect to much from made for TV movies. The two romances was nice instead of Rose and Jack thing in Titanic. More realistic. As for the immigrant family with no boat, it was good though I liked the single mother with two kids on Cameron's Titanic better. They should make a movie just about third class alone and what it was like being an immigrant going for a new life just to have the ship sink out from under you. That would be a good and moving movie. Somebody send me a talented script writer.
smile.gif

Linda Cooper

Sep 23, 2007
Posted by George L. Lorton:
"They should make a movie just about third class alone and what it was like being an immigrant going for a new life just to have the ship sink out from under you. That would be a good and moving movie. Somebody send me a talented script writer."

Before I got to see Cameron's version, I remember a lot of people talking about the gates that blocked many third class passengers from escaping.

Although I didn't have any relatives on the ship, if they did travel on the ship, it probably would have been in the third class section.

May 27, 2007
Pleased to meet you.
Mine too Linda. Those tickets weren't cheap. I Believe they were 40-50 $$ per person for Third Class which was a lot back then though I might be off on the price by a bit.I still say it would make an interesting movie though.

Before I got to see Cameron's version, I remember a lot of people talking about the gates that blocked many third class passengers from escaping.

A lot less gates then you think barred third class from the rest of the ship. Though a much better expert then I could go into that with you. I'm more of an enthusiast then an expert. I believe that most Third class passengers got lost or obeyed the order to wait that unfortunately cost lives.
sad.gif
Geo.

Linda Cooper

Sep 23, 2007
Pleased to meet you, also, George.

Thank you for your input.

I would have to say, that like you, I'm also more of an enthusiast then an expert (especially after reading what many of the other members of this board contribute - makes me glad that I joined.

May 27, 2007
Linda-
I'm glad you joined as well we need more enthusiasts like you and me to ask the good questions.

I know what you mean by what the others contribute. I first got a look in 2004 and the first thing I did when I got a computer was join ET.
smile.gif

N

Nora Mogck

i remember seeing this miniseries years ago and wanted to see it again. does anyone know if you can view it online?

Mar 17, 2018
I’ve watched the “Titanic” mini-series several times, and honestly I enjoy it more than the James Cameron film. Cameron got the ship right, but most of the people are reduced in his film to Hollywood stereotypes in order to give more attention to the Jack-Rose romance. However, the production starring Catherine Zeta-Jones and George C. Scott is much more accurate to the people, in my mind, although there are some big errors (Alice Cleaver, Molly Brown, etc.). The fictional characters are more believable as coming from 1912. The thing I appreciate most with this version is they frequently quote from what the real people actually said.

Nov 14, 2005
I watched that when it first aired. I might to have to watch it again someday as the only 2 things I remember about it was 1- Catharine Zeta Jones was a very good looking woman and 2- was the totally unecessary rape scene in the movie. I remember saying how lame I thought that was.

Mar 17, 2018
I watched that when it first aired. I might to have to watch it again someday as the only 2 things I remember about it was 1- Catharine Zeta Jones was a very good looking woman and 2- was the totally unecessary rape scene in the movie. I remember saying how lame I thought that was.
Yes, you are completely right about the rape scene. Tasteless and totally unnecessary. However, that is probably my biggest problem with it.