Titanic Centenary Project has launched

Sep 3, 2005
Hi Folks... I just wanted to tell you that I've now launched the website (some of you may already know what I'm talkng about here)

I'll not post a whole description here, but if your interested and for more information please feel free to visit the site;

www.titaniccentenaryproject.co.uk

Thanks!
J

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
While on such things, I have a big steel bridge that I wish to sell for scrap. It's in Sydney and it prevents QM2 from going right up the harbour to Parramatta. Make your offers in cheques for Australian dollars only, drawn on the Bank of the Yarra.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hello,

you might want to to rethink your slogan/poster centennial approach etc.. The Titanic sank on April 15, not April 14. Just a minor point.
Dave, what color is the bridge? ;)

Best,
Eric

Sep 3, 2005
Hi!, yeah but it started to sink on the 14th, also depending on where you live in the world.. but yeah it was pointed out to me on the modelling forum that because the slogan reads "100 years below" it would be better if the date was from when she actually hit the bottom... so thanks!!

Whats the whole "Bridge" thing about?

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Whats the whole "Bridge" thing about?

1910 vintage wisecrack. "There's this bridge I want to sell you." Urban legend claims that several gilded age groups of investors were conned into buying the Brooklyn Bridge, and "There's this bridge I want to sell you" became a staple of vaudeville comics....

Sep 3, 2005
So, why post that here, I don't get it... If I'm reading properly and based on what you've just wrote about the investers in 1910 "While on such things, I have a big steel bridge that I wish to sell for scrap" is making out that my project is then in some way a con or connected to a con? Please correct me if I'm wrong, maybe this is a totally innocent bit of fun...

Mar 7, 2006
Just a bit more - Why the big deal on the website about who is the person doing all this?

All websites have to have a registrant and their address. What's the point of saying I won't reveal who I am, when 5 mins of school boy digging can easily find the Registrant's home address.

Seem to me like this hasn't been thought through!

Sep 3, 2005
It has been thought through... 6 months of thinking it through... I know school buy digging would reveal the name, this forum does without even having to dig and my own site is listed on the site!

I just don't want the slagging I usually always get if this doesn't work out.. it would be embarrasement on a new level, so rather than have it there for everyone to see, the only people who'll know from just looking at the site will be members of forums like this, whereas the everyday public won't (unless they do a bit of digging as you say)

especially when I've spent months on this project already. Its like you don't go round announcing your failures do you?... same thing here I figure, just see how it goes first.

I don't get how it would do well on ebay?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It has been thought through... 6 months of thinking it through<<

It has? It looks to me from what I've read so far is a scheme for raising money "...to create something BIG for the 100th anniversary"

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay....

Create what?

Sep 3, 2005
I have two ideas, 3 infact but one needs a license (it mentions it on the site and I'm still currently trying to work this out, the props exhibition)... it also mentions the other possible two ideas (creating a full scale bow deck or poop deck), but rather than state "to raise money for..." and then mention somethig that might not happen or again something I'll need a license for I'm keeping it open... I also mentioned on the site that I'd be creating a page for suggestions from which the actual idea will be generated from!

I can't say its for one thing and then 2 years down the line change the idea to another, surely thats understandable, didn't you read the site?
I'm not tying the project down to one single idea just yet.

Oh and I should ad, if anyone does take an ad out, thats what they pay for, an ad! This is NOT a site asking for donations or anything of the sort.. and it states clearly what your buying. Its an advertising site... so any comments in relation to "Cons" don't help!, they only create rumours.

Okaaaaaaay...! lol

Mar 7, 2006
Quote:

Oh and I should ad, if anyone does take an ad out, thats what they pay for, an ad! This is NOT a site asking for donations or anything of the sort.. and it states clearly what your buying. Its an advertising site...

Unquote:

Great to get the story straight, if this all there is to it, not quite sure what it has to do with Titanic!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Its an advertising site... so any comments in relation to "Cons" don't help!, <<

Perhaps not but it might help if you were a bit more clear up front about what it is you have in mind, and post that right here. It's a lot like floating a business prospectus where the potential investors justifiably want to know exactly what it is they're buying.

Advertisers are a bit less concerned about that since the attention they get to what they're promoting is the primary concern. However, they are not completely disinterested in just what it is they're sponsoring if only because any sort of scandal...real or imagined...tends to reflect back on them.

The old "guilt by assocciation" thing and they are sensetive to that.

I don't see any evidence that you're trying to "con" anybody but the bottom line is that you need a clearer vision then what you have now. I'll be interested in what you come up with.

Sep 3, 2005
I appreciate your input and advice, really I do... and I can understand people being cautious and your 100% right about what might be seen as a sponsorship, but give me a break here, you guys seem to be grilling me here and for what, most of the questions you've asked can be answered by reading the site.

"Great to get the story straight, if this all there is to it, not quite sure what it has to do with Titanic!"

If your not sure what it has to do with the Titanic then maybe you should read the information I posted on the site... the whole point of the site is to raise money through ads on the site to "Hopefully" make something, whether it be a massive exhibition or a temporary replica of the bow!... thats what its got to do with Titanic. Its an idea for the 100th Anniversary!

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>... the whole point of the site is to raise money through ads on the site to "Hopefully" make something, whether it be a massive exhibition or a temporary replica of the bow!...

As someone with experience in fundraising, might I make a few suggestions?

~"Hopefully" is too weak a goal. You need to present a concrete plan and an alternative plan for this to stand a chance of working. Victorians had mixed success in building triumphal arches of chaff and plaster and papier-mache, and then using affection for the temporary structure to raise funds for a permanent one. You might wish to take that approach.

~ So, you need to talk with an architectural team and get a cost estimate for both a high-quality temporary bow and the permanent one.

~ You also need to determine where this repro will stand, and get all appropriate clearances to build BEFORE fundraising starts. Sometimes this process can take more than a year, so you'd best start today. Because, placing this VERY relevant documentation on your site will serve as an excellent bona fide.

~You must also...and this is BIG... raise funds SEPARATE from the construction funds to cover salary, advertising and promotion, and general expenses. Why? Because you will need to open an escrow account into which donations meant specifically for design and construction will be placed. And, your site MUST spell out, clearly, that funds raised for this project will be returned if it falls through. Which means hiring an accountant before fundraising commences.

Sep 3, 2005
Hi Jim

Thanks for the info... just one point though regarding the bottom section.

The site is essentially an advertising site, like the Milliondollarhomepage.com that Alex Tew set up. Comapnies take out an ad for the advantage of having it on a site for 5 years and if the site becomes popular they get traffic. That's basically what they pay for.

Maybe my site is giving the wrong impression... its not a sponsorship, by taking out an ad it doesn't sponsor me in anyway. I'm basically just claiming that if the site is successful and enough is raised through it by me, I will pay for a project on the Centenary from the funds I make.

Alex's site earned him personally around $1 million... and he kept that. With my earnings (if any) I'm pledging on doing something for the Centenary with it. Its not a sponsorship and nor would I want it to be because of the basic fact that it gets too legal and risky for all involved, and then if refunds are even mentioned then the whole thing could allow for refunds requests left right and centre over the 4 years... It'd also be harder to get companies involved I think.

Do you know what I mean or am I way off track?

As for clearance to build. This simply wouldn't happen without cash. With cash it would then be more presentable and real!, whereas approaching on a "if I raise" idea, people might not take that serious? I have a location in my head (obviously I cannot mention it as it might be illegal to do so with someone else currently owning the land). But I am aware that there are currently no plans to build on it for the anniversary and it would right in the heart of Centenary attractions in Belfast.
But say the site was successful over the next year, and I went to them and said, this is how much I have and this is the idea... I think they'd be more inclined then to say yes?

Maybe I'm doing this the wrong way round?

In any case, anymore advice you can give would be great, maybe you could PM me?

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hello,

I too read your site. As understand, you state, in your FAQ in response to the question "What exactly is hoped to be bought for the project?", that the "best answer here is, I'm not sure!”￾ - this notion is repeated throughout.
You also state that you can not guarantee that anything will happen if there are not enough sales, and that there are no refunds in any event.
And that you will not even start making plans unless the site makes enough sales.
You also state purchasers will have no say in how the monies raised are to be used - anything apparently from nothing at all to a full scale "temporary" bow or stern replica.
You also state that, if nothing comes of this, its a is “a risk I'll have to take".
Further, you state that all money raised will remain yours in any event.
You wrote "Like Alex Tew, the money he made was his, and the same here, anything raised through the advertising will remain my property and from that the necessary Anniversary material, construction, plans or products will be purchased/paid for. All this only if the site is successful..."

So my question is simple. The question is this: in the event you get a tremendous amount of sales, but not enough to plan or carry out any of the nebulous projects mentioned, what happens to the monies raised?

Regards,
Eric

Sep 3, 2005
well thats easy, there's always the Nomadic!, remember that little passenger ferry that no one seems bothered about enough to raise money for!

Its not like I'm going to run off with all the cash here Eric. and if I do you can use your research techniques to track me down!...

I CANNOT issue refunds because of the simple fact that if plans are made when enough is raised and then people request refunds this project will literally fall apart. Think about it.

I also CANNOT guarantee the project will happen as I could be dead in 3 years. A building could be built on the site I have in mind. I may not get a license... there are hundreds of things that may or may not happen with this...

And planning CANNOT start unless there is some kind of finance to fund even the planning. I'm sure your aware that planning proposals cost money in themselves...

There is no big con here or mystery. So stop trying to find one, this is being done with good intentions. Everytime I come on this forum I seem to have t o explain myself to people who probably aren't even bothered about the project and even if it was free would have no intentions on helping.

Have a good long think about this and answer me one question. If its not a sponsorship and you gotta sell ads to make money to pay for this and you don't have money at the moment to make plans and pay for planning, How else would you do it?

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Ho Jon,
I do not question your motives - nor have many others in this thread - I am trying to illustrate what might be stumbling blocks, such as the bit with the now changed poster with the incorrect date. I highlight these things so you might see the other side of the coin from a prospective advertiser’s point of view. As such, I think it was a fair question. As you know, I never said you'd "run off with the money" - I was bringing attention to the fact that these questions and issues need to be dealt with in order to secure the advertising you wish - as have many others. It just needs to be a little more concrete. If your were to put on your website that the monies raised would, is not used for this project, go to the Nomadic foundation that would put some people at ease.

Best wishes,
Eric

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
With all due respect, Jon-Paul, the million dollar homepage was something that could only work once. In its time, it was a novelty. Advertisers could be pretty sure someone would actually see their ads, because a number of media outlets were mentioning the website.

It'd be interesting to see how many copycats the million dollar homepage has spawned, and how many of those have attained their financial objectives.

--Jim