Titanic Centenary Project has launched

Sep 3, 2005
I've looked into that Jim, there are a few, alot of Free ones, a lot of family related ones and a few that have made I'd say in the region of 10K, the immediate copy cat who Alex swapped ads with made around 70K... However all of which have been for their own financial gain. 1 I came across was for bands, and another was for a Charity and ALL were badly designed.

None had an idea behind it like this and nothing this popular... so here's hoping. And I've 3 years!

Sep 3, 2005
Hi Jason

Yes, it would be nice to have H&W maybe create at least some of the parts for it... but I'm not sure they would take on a job like this as they currently only carry out maintenance and repairs nowadays.

And I'm HOPING it would be display in the Titanic's birthplace/fitting out area... some of which is privately owned by developers and some which is owned by the NI Government I believe. And there is one small spot in particular that has no plans to be built on for the Centenary which I think would be idea. Its down around the Tompson Pump House area of the docks.

Although please remember this is all just an idea at the moment. No plans have been made or presented to anyone yet, as per all above.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Jon-Paul,

quote:

And there is one small spot in particular that has no plans to be built on for the Centenary which I think would be idea. Its down around the Tompson Pump House area of the docks.
Yes, I know exactly where you're referring to, as I've been there. Agreed, it would be ideal, but that all depends on the redevelopment of the area, as per the Titanic Quarter.

I realize it is just an idea, but with the greatest of respect, it is good to have some sort of plan laid out, so that you're not attempting to figure it all out at the last minute.​

Sep 3, 2005
Hi Jason

I've actually looked into the redevelopment there briefly. I though that area belonged to the Titanic Quarter but it actually belongs to NISP and there are no plans to redevelop anything in that area apart from the restoration of the drydock, pumphouse and strengthening of the gate. Thats it. Although yes things could change between now and then.

Listen, I think I'll take the site offline and look into this a bit more and take some of what has been said ito consideration. So if any of the mods wish to delete this entire thread please do as I don't want any further smart comments or sarcastic responses in relation to this. It is getting a bit out of hand, as I've mentioned on TRMA this was all ment to be a fun project with good intentions but that on its own is clearly not enough for some people.

Thanks to anyone who gave me advice and valuable opinions, you know who you are.

Jan 15, 2006
That entire area is owned by the Belfast harbour Commissioners and is merely leased to TQ/NISP any future use of this land would have to be ratified by any parties concerned... however i think you will find that there are plans afoot for this area.

- Merv.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Jon-Paul: A final bit of friendly, entirely non sarcastic advise.

Things like this CAN be made to come to fruition. The 1964/65 World's Fair in NYC, for instance, was the end result of table conversation between a bunch of businessmen having lunch one afternoon in 1959....

...BUT, generally, you have to invest a LOT of your own money before you can entice strangers into investing a little of theirs.

...which means getting your credit in order, having at least a minimal presentation worked out, and securing enough of a bank loan to create professional 'props' as it were. Artists' renderings are a must, as are brief but informative booklets about your project.

...try to get a few members of the urban planning board on your side. DON'T send out a press release UNTIL your plan has tentative civic approval...the premature PR Blitz tends to alienate boards.

>So if any of the mods wish to delete this entire thread please do as I don't want any further smart comments or sarcastic responses in relation to this.

Develop a thick skin. Mr. Gittins' initial remark was, I assume, intended to be a jocular way of introducing a larger issue. And, I CAN ASSURE YOU, was the equivalent of a hearty hug compared to the statements opposing members of the planning board and general public WILL make. What you have to do is let it roll off your back, and keep focused on your goal.

So, your first line of business is NOT to pull your site, but to revise it. Begin by making your goal clear enough that a first time reader will be able to grasp it....

....after all, the World's Fair that managed to achieve the polar opposite feats of drawing more visitors than any exposition in history while simultaneously losing more money than any exposition in history (Okay...maybe this is not the best example) was the end result of a lively chat during a 3 Martini Lunch.