Titanic Chronicles

Jun 12, 2004
Hey, has anybody heard of this yet? I just notice it at Half.ebay.

http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Titanic-Chronicles_W0QQprZ43868143QQtgZinfo

What would be thoughts on this? Does anyone think it would be worth it or a 'pass-over'?

By the way, Mike, read the description. In a way, you'll be getting your wish regarding the Inquiries. I'm just not sure whether or not this is a drama or a documentary. By the look of the pictures, I'd say the latter, but I can't say for sure.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
This was included with the dvd release of the 1929 film Atlantic. The actors provide voices only, reading excerpts from the transcripts of the American Inquiry. There is an accompanying slide-show of still images onscreen, but I can't recall what they were. It's interesting that many of the actors have appeared in one or another of the Titanic films, but here they take different roles. Bernard Hill, for instance (Cameron's Captain Smith), speaks the words of Captain Lord of the Californian.

Jun 12, 2004
It's interesting that the cast list doesn't include anyone representing the voices of either Lowe or Bride, both of whom provided strong testimonies (although the accuracy of the latter has become questionable over the years due to inconsistencies and the rumors that he had been paid by journalists for a sensational story).

By the way, Mike, some dramas have been as brief as 55 minutes (an hour), but I do agree that that isn't nearly long enough to do the Inquiries justice one bit.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The cast list on the imdb page is incomplete. Bride's testimony is featured, and he is played disconcertingly by an actor with an Australian accent! Lowe, however, isn't there. The credits on the disc list ten 'narrators' (in addition to David McCallum, who provides introductory links) but give no indication of which roles they played. The background images are still photographs and some short film clips, mostly well chosen and appropriate. There are a few brief sound effects and snatches of music. The whole presentation is rather flat and anything but dramatic. Some of the 'narrators' sound as if they are reading scripts which were presented to them 5 minutes before the microphone was turned on, but others, especially Eric Braedon as Ismay and David Garrison as Senator Smith do a good job. The sections of the transcripts used have been freely edited line by line, so we do not hear the testimonies as they actually took place.

Is this worth having? Only to make a dvd collection complete.