Titanic coal

• Thread starter Jamie Michael Angus
  • Start date

J

Jamie Michael Angus

I wonder if someone can explain the worrying frequency with which "Titanic coal" is being sold on the internet (particularly on Ebay). Surely these aren't genuine?! I see that the majority come with a cute little presentation box and the obligatory certificate of authenticity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely this type of sale is fresh pickings for con men. Coal is ten a penny, so how do you know you're getting the genuine article??

Also, I am no moral philosopher but there are surely ethical considerations about owning what is essentially a piece of a gravesite. I had no idea that recovered artifacts were even allowed to be sold to just anybody. It beggars belief.

I guess what I really want to know is

a). The likelihood of the coal being genuine (Not that I would buy it!)

b). Your thoughts on the ethics of selling wreck artifacts

They'll be selling genuine Titanic corpses next.

Thankyou for your time.

Jamie

Mar 15, 2001
Jamie, The coal that is being sold by RMS Titanic is genuine. By buying this coal, you are helping this company retrieve the artifacts that have been shown all across the country and the exhibit currently in Connecticut. Just as the subject as the Californian causes controversy, so does the retrieval of artifacts including this coal.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Quite a few pieces of genuine Titanic coal were sold a few years ago. They were taken from the debris field and mounted on little stands. The salvors justified the sales by saying that the coal did not amount to artifacts. I think the price was $25 US. The bits on Ebay could be some of these.

As to the ethics, this has been argued loud and long on this forum. The last argument got so rough that the Webmaster stopped it. My own feeling is that it's largely a matter of good taste. Also, if it's so bad to profit from the Titanic disaster, what shall we say about all the books, movies, souvenir shops and such that profit from the world wars and other historic disasters? Was Shakespeare a rat because he made money from the death of Julius Caesar?

J

John Meeks

Actually, "Will" was a bit of a rat...

I don't know how much money he made from Julius Caesar - but the betting's pretty good that he didn't pass much of it on to his missus! Poor old Anne seemed to have spent her life moonlighting to pay off all his debts...!

My own problem with the coal is...how do you really authenticate the stuff? Carbon dating? LOL

Regards,

John M

(P.S. - I think that's he first time I've actually used that 'LOL' thing!.....must be moving with the times...!)

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
I enjoy having a piece of Titanic coal to show off to my friends. It's not expensive, and as Darren noted, it's authentic. FYI, it's packaged neatly in a 1"x2"x3" box, like a jewelry box, and inside is this 3x4 note, folded in half, which reads:
Certificate of Origin
This coal was recovered from the wreck of
R.M.S. TITANIC
during the 1994 Titanic Research and Recovery Expedition
Object No. 94/0036
Authenticated by the signature of
Arnie Geller
President, RMS Titanic, Inc.
P.H. Nargeolet
Captain, IFREMER

J

John Meeks

Hang on to it, mate...

Winter's are getting colder.....you never know...!

Regards,

John M

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Geez, who would think anyone would actually like getting COAL for Christmas....it used to be that kids were threatened with a bag of coal if they were bad during the year.
proud.gif

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
RMS Titanic seems to be in a great need of money:

A friend of mine has two versions of the coal, the first series with the little stand and the second in the "jewellery box" - and the size of the latter is about half of the early one!

Of course, the price of the coal doesn't seem to have dropped at all.

Best regards,

Kalman Tanito

Apr 22, 2012
Geez, who would think anyone would actually like getting COAL for Christmas....it used to be that kids were threatened with a bag of coal if they were bad during the year.

I guess things have changed! Now parents are going to have to find something else to threaten their kids with!
proud.gif

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Surfing about, I found that you can get little glass pendants containing a very small amount of Titanic coal. The coal is evidently authentic. Maybe the supply from 1994 is very low.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Is anybody sure that the coal selling on eBay is real? There is a seemingly unlimited supply on eBay.

S

Susan L. Romanyuk

I bought my first coal piece in February 1996. It was my understanding (in the literature that came with the piece) that the sales of the coal would finance a new building to house all of the artifacts after the traveling road show was over. And the persons that purchased coal from this original release would have their names put in a conservators log in the museum. Later after Tulloch was ousted no one at RMST Inc seems to know anything about this.

Well since then I have acquired my second piece of coal. Both are mounted in museum style curators cases so no dust gets in. My first stand is personalized with my name on the brass plate. The second one has the plate that states where the piece came from etc. Both came with COA signed by George Tulluch and PH Nargeolet the sub driver. Both COA's have release numbers on them. These came from the original sale release.

There was enough coal recovered in the 1994 dive to make up approximately 400.000 pieces. As the sales of the coal have never been that strong they were being sold at the Artifact Exhibits for $10.00 a piece. So some enterprising person has bought up a bunch of the pieces and is still trying to cash in on the Titanic cash cow. It could very well be RMST themselves trying to make some money off the coal by selling on eBay. The pieces out there now are from much later coal releases, they may or may not have COA's with them. The are legitimate as far as these are the same gift boxes that are being sold in the gift shops as the artifact exhibitions. I have just checked the RMST Inc website www titanic-online com and they also sell the coal there, you might just get it cheaper there than on eBay.

S

Susan L. Romanyuk

In answer to John Meeks question, I had my coal authenticated by a friend of mine who is a Geologist. He took it to University of Washington Geology lab and did just that, carbon dated it. It is anthracite coal mined in 1911. This is a very expensive test but I wanted to be sure.

I am against owning real artifacts from titanic, like someone's clothes, eye glasses or the like. But I felt that owning some of the fuel that drove her was not as bad.

True it did come from the debris field, but then again what if RMST Inc or some other company started selling the sand from the ocean floor in the debris field? I just wanted to have something (well 2 somethings) that belonged to Titanic in some way.

Mar 28, 2002
A very successful weekend for me - I was given a piece of Titanic coal as described above and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Cheers,

Boz

Feb 21, 2003
Well Jeremy,

Authentic coal that was packaged by RMS Titanic Inc, came in a navy blue gift box and the coal piece is sealed in a small heavy plastic sack with red writing on the sack. Then there was the earlier release in the museum style curator case (of which I have 2 of these) with COA's.

Then I have seen the novelty coal pieces, surrounded by plastic in different animal shapes, or in necklaces and/or earrings and other cheaply made designs.

I personally would go for either the gift box or the curator case Titanic coal. That way you know you are getting the authentic coal. With the novelty coal, I would definitely question it's authenticity.

Jan 28, 2007
Hello all, first post.
I have just ordered a piece of the Titanic Coal in a jewelry box, the one I ordered has the certificate with two signatures at the bottom, is that the older release?
I am also considering buying a small sliver of Titanic wreckwood from a nice gent on ebay, has anyone here also purchased such a relic? The fellow seemed honest and says the wood has a great pedigree.
Gimme yer thoughts and nice to meet all.
William Potter

Jan 28, 2007
Certainly

the gentleman says it is the real deal and he seems honest enough to me, has his own website dedicated to Titanic relics.
WP