Titanic connection with Cinco de Mayo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2004
Hello, Inger, Michael, Bob, et al! Long time, no talk-to. It's been at least a year since I posted here (or has it been two?). Been extremely busy, but I have not forgotten Titanic. I hope everyone is well.

A friend recently emailed this interesting little tidbit to me via an AngelWinks ecard, and I thought I'd shared it. Not sure if this has already been posted on the forum. Whether it's true or not, that's up for you to decide.

"Most people don't know that back in 1912 Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery at Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Cinco de Mayo."

Take care, all!

Mark

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I hope everyone is well.<<

Ask me that after my post mortum. If you get an answer, hire an agent and get a show on the SciFi Channel!
evil.gif

>>The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Cinco de Mayo." <<

Booooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rofl.gif

May 3, 2005
Of course to be politically correct, one should also be bilingual.

It also known as the Anglicized version of Sinko de Mayo........

May 3, 2005
Mark Robert Hopkins-

My Spanish is limited to two years High School Spanish courses. I can read a bit, but the listening and the talking are even more limited.

The Spanish subtitles on "Titanic" (1953) don't always seem to match up with the exact words being spoken.

However, Clifton Webb's "Mackinack Michigan" comes across with the same force in either Ingles o Espanol ! :) Interesting also to note that they changed the line "Sears Roebuck Catalog" to "Mercantile Catalog" on the Spanish Language track.

I posted the "Anglicized Version" with the thought that maybe some readers not familiar with Spanish "wouldn't get it" with "Cinco de Mayo" ....I first saw the joke with the "Sinko de Mayo" version....... :)

Regards,
Robert Paige
AKA Roberto Pagina / jnb / Juan Neelio Briano :)

Jun 12, 2004
Rob,

Sorry for not getting back sooner--busy, busy, busy!

Yes, I can see the confusion with some, since many Americans naturally spell Spanish words as they sound in English, per se. Understandable.

As for the soundtrack, many words cannot be translated, or translated precisely, so there are always going to be some incongruities involved. That's the trouble with intermixing various languages. However, as someone who loves interculturalism, I see that this reflects the distinction of cultural thought that cannot be "spelled out" through mere translation. Confusion is bound to occur, not just from the unawareness regarding meaning, but due to the unavoidable lack of precision. It's interesting, though. ;-)

Sorry, I wasn't trying to come off boastful on the language aspect of your initial post. I appreciate the input. :)

Take care

Mark

May 3, 2005
I also noticed on the Spanish sound track on "Titanic (1953)" the music in the dining saloon scene (Captain's Table, etc....."Will you be staying in New York very long, Mrs. Astor ?"..."The band's slicker than beets !"...., etc. )... the background music switches to a Latin beat.

Also, in the final scenes showing lifeboats being loaded, the background music switches from "Nearer My God To Thee" (sung by all those on board , including the Strausses ) to a full orchestral arrangement of "God Save The King."

Beware of damsels in danger on the poop deck.

Robert

Apr 27, 2005
Sent to me by a compadre' in Texas, I am beginning to question his resources.

> Mayonnaise
>
>
>
Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England.
In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz,
Mexico , which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York .
This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico . But
as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York .
The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the
cargo was forever lost.
The people of Mexico , who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.
>
>
The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as....

Sinko de Mayo.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a separate thread in the "Cargo" subtopic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing, believe it or not, that same subject. MAB]

Status
Not open for further replies.