Titanic connections

Mar 28, 2002
(Inspired by Shelley on the Lusitania thread)

Mr Frederick Joseph Cresswell and his wife Fanny, 3rd class passenger on the Empress, were lost. Of Nuneaton, Warwickshire, they had travelled to Canada in the Spring of 1912 on the Laurentic, after failing to get a berth on the Titanic. They were making the journey back to visit relatives with their nephew (?) Willian J Giles. Giles' mother had made the outward crossing with the Cresswells two years before.

Feb 14, 2011
There is an ongoing rumor a crewman named Clarke survived both Titanic and Empress of Ireland....

tarn Stephanos

K

karen christl

tarn, i have heard his name was henry "lucks" towers and thah he also surrived the lusitania
happy.gif
kaz
happy.gif

Apr 3, 2006
I know this isn't a Titanic connection, but a connection with the Lusitania. The biggest documented connection between the Lusitania and the Empress of Ireland is that of the Mounsey family. Is anything known about the lesser known Mason family? Joseph Mason died in the Lusitania after his wife and son died in the Empress of Ireland.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Actually, Fred McMurtry lost his sister-in-law on the Empress. I think it was Mrs. Stork. I have to check.

Apr 3, 2006
Hi Mike,

That is interesting! I noticed that there was no name known for her and I hadn't even heard this about her. I'd really appreciate it if you could find a connection.

Nov 22, 2000
Mrs Stork was the former Mary Louisa Reeve and had just reached her 55th birthday at the time of the sinking. I'm not entirely certain as to the relationship betwixt her and Fred McMurtry but I think he had married her sister Gertrude.

Apr 3, 2006
I was actually just about to ask if Mrs. Stork's maiden name was Reeve. Thank you for confirming! I just found a marriage record for Frederick Archibald McMurtry to Gertrude Mabel Reeve.

Few other quick Empress Questions:

Did Mrs. Paton travel with a maid?

What was the age of Florence Barbour's sister Evelyn?

What were the ages of the Farr children and were they being accompanied back to England by Miss Mary Wood?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

Nov 22, 2000
Mrs Paton did not have a maid with her.

Evelyn Beatrice Barbour was aged 3 years

Kathleen Helen Farr was aged 8 years, Nancy was 6, Dorothy 5 and Bessie 3.

Mary Wood appears to be the only one who fits the bill as the children's carer. If so, they had different destinations. Possibly the children's uncle would meet them in Liverpool.

Apr 3, 2006
Hi Geoff,

Thank you for the ages. I thought too that Miss Wood was the only one who fit the description.

I appreciate the help,

Zach

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Then of course there's J. Bruce Ismay's daughter's sister-in-law who died on the Empress. There's an extensive thread on this board about Catherine Cay (nee Cheape). Ismay's daughter Margaret married a Cheape, who was Catherine's brother.

I feel like there are other Titanic/Empress Lusitania/Empress connections that I can't think of first-hand. There certainly must have been people from the respective sinkings who knew each other. I would imagine that Titanic's Margaret Brown had been introduced at some point to the Empress's Grace Dunlevy, who was also a Denver society woman.

Apr 3, 2006
I think there must be more too. I had never even heard of the one between Frederick McMurtry and Mrs. Stork.

I know Geoff mentioned the Masons awhile back on another thread.

Apr 3, 2006
Quick question-

I was fascinated by the story of the Byrne family. Is it known how old Gertrude Byrne was? Was she a child or a teenager?

Thanks!

Nov 22, 2000
Zach,

Isabel Maude Cullen was born 29th April 1908
Albert Edward Cullen was born 28th January 1912
Eileen Mullins was born 22nd November 1904
Hilda Isabel Read Bloomfield was born 2nd July 1890.

Geoff

May 19, 2002
Hi Geoff,

i remember reading somewhere that Mr & Mrs Addie's cabin was near the collision point, is that right? also Mrs Mullins sufferred broken legs? was her cabin near by or did she injure herself escaping from the ship?

have always been curious about this

thanx

Cliff

Apr 3, 2006
Thanks Geoff!

I was looking around on a genealogical website and I came across a Daisy May Barling who was listed as dying in 1914 on the Lusitania. I noticed there was a Daisy May Barling Davison who died with her daughter(?) on the Empress. Was Mrs. Davison previously married to someone named Gammon?