Titanic deck chair on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill DeSena

Hi all,

I was watching the Histroy channel last night and they had an original Titanic deck chair from the Mackay-Bennett recovery operation being auctioned off by Sothebies and Ebay with a starting price of $170k. I haven't been able to locate the actual auction info yet, there is a repro chair being offerred for $200+ but that's not the same chair they showed on the History channel. This chair has provenance as an original artifact from the wreck site.

Does anyone think this item should be sold or conserved in a museum?

Regards
Bill

Sep 12, 2000
Actually Bill now that you mention it I was looking for a tea table for my deck and that deck chair (only $170K) would look handsome on my deck with the tea cups I got last week. Do you think that they could provide matching chairs. I need two.

Actually Bill, I think you've been gone too long....there was gret carnage here as far as the eye could see....but the salvage people didn;t make it I don't think.
Maureen.

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Maureen:
I'll put you in contact with a 'nice' seller who had a plate from the 'Titanic' to go with your chair. Funny, he didn't seem to realize that he had pictures, deckplans, etc... posted of the Republic along with the plate that he said were instrumental in the dive. And the plate was marked something like 1906. May the man rot in hell for the scam he tried to pull on people.

Sep 12, 2000
Michael, please see what he can do about getting me about 20 five piece place settings and eighteen more deck chairs, hey at 3.4M for the lot I think it is a real deal for deck chairs. Get me figures on the dinnerware love.

Ta.
Your Royal Pain In The...Neck, Maureen.

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
I will tell you the whole story offline. The seller was insane. Valloric was his name. Demonic sounding isn't it? I can say good triumphed over evil.
Mike
And God help the person who calls you a pain. I'm in a fighting mood!

Sep 12, 2000
In a fighting mood, you must have been over in the thread from...well...

Anyway, my boss gets really truly annoyed at me cause I do this stuff all the time. Some of the ladies in my office (serious types) get really ticked with me when they are trying to pick a fight and I joke with them.

Anyway, are Valloric and Demonic on the list of White Star names for ships? he he
I will contact you offline and still need to contact Shelley as well.
Thanks Michael, you always make my day.
Maureen.

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Well Maureen:
Had White Star not merged, they may have named the ships afer Valloric and Demonic. After all, it's competitor named a ship Tyhrennia (sp? ). Try saying that 5x fast! It was eventually named Lancastria and sank witha heavy loss of life. Off to watch a Lusy special ( That Lusitania slang )

Aug 29, 2000
MIke and Mo: I actually saw a list of funny names for White Star or Cunard ships-I think Charlie Haas had it. We should have a contest. Just lately I am thinking maybe the R.M.S. Paranoia-a Cunarder for people fearing attack! or the R.M.S. Dyspeptic for people getting ulcers and want to get away from it all. Or maybe a new ship (to replace that rusting hulk RMST bought for millions) called the S.S. Septic . C'mon out there-I KNOW there must be a new thread in THIS!-Poisidon Adventure is on again today! Good old SHelley Winters-love her line- "Life always matters very much."

Sep 12, 2000
I think it is PTSD from when I used to watch Lloyd Bridges on Sea Hunt, but I can't watch the Poisidon Adventure because I alwasy hold my breath duing the whole thing. Have you noted that Poisidon is posted under the other ships thread...I wonder if Maureen McGovern every got out of the diaster movie song making business?
Enjoy your movie Shell!
maureen.

T

Traci Miller

Coming back to the deck chair - I saw it on ebay last night, and the bid was at $170,000 (US) at that time (30 people had bid on it). I knew people were hungry for Titanic artifacts, but I didn't know they were all so RICH!
happy.gif

Traci

Ralph Cook

Nov 1, 2000
Thought you should know. The Titanic Deck Chair you saw on Ebay did not sell. The chair is on exhibition in Orlando Florida at the Ship of Dreams exhibition.
Ralph Cook
Ian McCarthy
Owner of the chair

Ralph Cook

Nov 1, 2000
We're going to be on TV on Monday February 19 on the Discovery Channel, or the Learning Channel. The name of the show is "The Hunt for Amazing Treasures" and it features me and my friend, Ian about our adventure with the Titanic Deck Chair.

Ralph
Not sure but I think it airs at 7 to 9pm pt.

Dec 31, 2000
Sorry Everyone, the show was on TLC, not Discovery. I apologize for my STM is very dim at times.
Ian and Ralph, I saw the show, and that was amazing work (and very costly) to prove the Deck chair as coming from the RMS Titanic.
Cheers to you both for your hard work and I pray that you will get back what you invested into proving her validity.

Sincerly,

Beverly

Jun 10, 1999
Congratulations Guys! I only wish it had been me who found the chair in an Antique Store. Yes...great detective (research) work...I am sure the wives enjoyed that trip to Paris...:)

How does the Maritime Museum in Halifax respond
to your findings.

Very interesting findings on Mackay Bennet's part in the saga.

(BTW...The champagne recovered from a WW1 wreck was not a bad piece either)

Michael Cundiff
Carson City, NV

Dec 31, 2000
Yes, I enjoyed the champagne piece also... it was so cool that they were able to bring the wreck to the suface.

I wish Ralph and Ian all the best.

Beverly

R

Ralph Joseph Cook Jr.

TLC Feb 25 2001
1:00 PM The Hunt for Amazing Treasures 3 Hidden Riches

Status
Not open for further replies.