Titanic Departure Photograph

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
OK people, thanks. I was just wondering, that's all. I accept that it must be the Titanic after all.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
OK people, thanks. I was just wondering, that's all. I accept that it must be the Titanic after all.
That's not hard to do. I have seen a picture of a four stacker that's not a close up and think it's Titanic or some other ship which turns out to be different.. From a distance the four stackers look more alike than different from each other. At least to me that is.

Reactions: 1 users

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
From a distance the four stackers look more alike than different from each other.
Yes, of that era. Ships are easier to identify in profile or in close-up pictures with obvious structural variations. But an old sepia photo of the ship at such an acute angle makes it difficult. When seen at certain angles, the funnels of Lusitania appeared relatively taller than those of the Titanic and that's why I wondered about the oval picture.

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Here is one of Lusitania in the distance for comparison. Mainly in the distance the 4 funnel liners can be identified mainly by superstructure and position/distance of funnels and masts.

Lusitania distance.jpg

Reactions: 1 users