Titanic Director's Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Claudia Burns

Apparently, James Cameron is not interested in releasing the Director's Cut of the film. If you are an obsessed fan, like I am, you're probably interested in seeing footage that was cut from the final version of the movie. There is a petition that you can sign at WWW.PETITIONONLINE.COM Maybe we can change Mr. Cameron's mind.

B

Brandon Ralph Whited

Hello Claudia,

I have signed several petitions on a number of websites (or perhaps it was the same petition, different sites), and I hope it pays off. I for one would love to see what was left out of the film; especially considering most of it was historical scenes! One thing I have always speculated about is whether or not Cameron included the near-miss with the New York in the original version of the film. I just can't imagine why he would want to leave that out. Likely for the same reason he chose to cut the scenes with the Californian...it wasn't needed in the fictional story line.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Claudia,
Can you provide more clarity for getting to that petition so people don't have to wade through a bunch of stuff about Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys? There has to be hundreds of petitions in the entertainment category.

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
Hmm, if I remember reading through the unedited screenplay (which I haven't read since I got it in '99, by the way,) the New York incident wasn't filmed at all. I myself had hoped it was, but I guess not.

As for the majority of the film being historical scenes, from all that I have heard and what have read of the screenplay, most of the missing footage is from the expedition to the wreck, and not historical.

I wouldn't carve this in stone. Maybe this evening I'll crack open the screenplay again and take a look for any missing scenes...

Adam

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
The New York incident wasn't scripted at all. Also, a lot of the scenes cut were the historical ones, including the Californian brush-off, the launching of several lifeboats, Lightoller and his pals on Collapsible B, and a long scene set aboard the Carpathia, where Ismay is brought aboard and everyone is staring at him. The scene with Ismay is particularly powerful, I don't know whyever it was cut.

Also, wasn't it Cameron who once griped that directors cuts were worthless and what do people think was released? But then he did rerelease "Aliens"... I do know that Joe Johnston has no love for directors cuts, and spoke out on them during the production of "Jurassic Park III."

Just my 2¢.

Josh.

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Just for the record, here's Joe Johnston on director's cuts:
(About the Jurassic Park III DVD) "We shot two scenes that aren't in the movie, both very short," Joe said. "I don't know if they'll be included on the DVD or not. I think the whole 'director's cut' thing is bull****. What got released, the studio's cut??!! I've never understood that whole thing. If you cared that much about additional footage, you should have fought harder for it in the first place."
~From Dan's JP3 Page, Old News page 32 Under June 18.

Josh.

Mary Hamric

May 4, 1999
I think that Cameron won't release a "director's cut" with the cut scenes incorporated in the film, but my guess is that they'll be part of a special edition DVD sometime and be separate from the film as extra features. He has said that his cut is the director's cut. I don't think he is into altering the final cut of the film...but he may include the scenes separately with commentary. Of course, this is all conjecture. I have no idea what he will really decide to do.

Another cut historical scene was where Smith called back the lifeboats. But you can see that scene, the Ismay scene and a brief shot of the overturned collapsible with Lightoller on the James Cameron's Titanic Explorer CDROM.

My guess is that someday we'll see some of this footage...but not for a while. Maybe after this IMAX 3D thing has run its course?

S

Stacie Crowther

There were also nonhistoric events that were cut including an altercation between Jack and Lovejoy and a heart-wrenching scene where Cora and her father are stuck behind a gate as the water fills in behind them. There are several more as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.