Titanic Dream House

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gino Gusmano

Let me start by saying I have no intentions of building a replica of the Titanic in the form of a house. ;) But like most of you, I appreciate the look of Titanic's public rooms and staterooms. I would like to find carpeting, floor tiles, and wallpaper that is similar to those designs found on Titanic and Olympic.

I'm sure some of you fellow fans of the Olympic-class ships must have done some research on this. Any suggestions?

Hello,

I suggest you do a lot of research about the various styles of the staterooms, including the knowledge of exactly what colors the decor was. Floor tiles like the ones on the Titanic are hard to determine, as there is much controversy over what colors and styles they were, as well as where they were placed on board. On this very forum there is a thread about the debate over the colors of the first-class smoking room tiles.

In James Cameron's "Titanic", they appear green. However, most of Cameron's sets were modeled after Olympic, as photographs of every room on board Titanic (including the smoking room), does not exist. Ken Marschall dived on the wreck and saw the tiles a few years back. He said they were blue and red. Beats me.

There is a manufactured lamp like the ones in Titanic's first-class cabins that I'm sure you'll want to pick up. You can find it on E-Bay. It's an exact reproduction. They even had one used in "Titanic" (around $600).

-B.W.

<FONT COLOR="119911">On this very forum there is a thread about the debate over the colors of the first-class smoking room tiles.

In James Cameron's "Titanic", they appear green.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the smoke room carpetted in his film, although it should have been tiled?

Best regards,

Mark.

Hello Mark,

I believe you are correct. Glancing at a still image of the movie's smoking room, it does appear the room is carpeted. It's been a while since I've viewed the film; all I knew was that something was wrong with that floor.

-B.W.

wouldn't these new colour tiles change the colour of the lether chairs and furniture, surly the green wouldn't seem to fit in, does anyone have any renderings of this?

Hello Thomas,

Yes, you are correct, the red and blue floor tiles would make the green decor not fit in. I think you might want to check out that thread I spoke of above, the color of the furniture is mentioned. I belive they finally decided that red would've probably been the color. The smoking room is one of my favorite rooms on the liners, and I wish someone had gotten a photo of Titanic's.

-B.W.

Hello everyone,
I have recently had a discussion with Eric Sauder about the tiles in Smoking room.
They are red and blue. If you look in "Ken Marshall's Art of Titanic" on pg 71 you will see a cutaway of the ship. Look carefully at the Reception room's floor colors. They are the colors of the tiles that would grace the first class smoking room.

It is very common for shipping lines,like the White Star to slightly change the color schemes from ship to ship. White Star obviously wanted to give each ship a different feel. There is also a possibility that the chairs and couches were changed to a burgundy color since green leather chairs would look terrible with red and blue tiles.

I doubt that Titanic's Smoking Room was carpeted. Since there was a tile spotted in the wreck site it seems clear to me that the Smoking Room wasn't carpeted. Although I can not prove this, since carpet could have been laid over the
tiles at the last minute, but with the evidence that we have gained, I certainly belive that the smoking room's floor was tiled. But who knows?

I would like to thank Eric Sauder and Parks Stevenson for the information that they supplied to me with this topic.

Regards Nigel Bryant

Check out "Anatomy of the Titanic" for detailed information about the materials used in building the Titanic and decorating the passenger areas. Also of interest is the Titanic-Ship of Dreams Museum at the Mercado Center in Orlando. They have recreated many of the ship's rooms including the Grand Staircase, Ismay's suite (B-52) and Cafe Parisien. Jack Cardoza, who worked on the Cameron film, helped them acquire much of the decor and props, and Denis Cochrane keeps some of his massive collection there. John Joslyn (Grimm expeditions) is the director.

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has any pictures of the rooms they recreated and a complete list of the rooms they recreated.

I would be very interested to know/see those pictures. If the Ismay suite looks the way it did in the movie, then it is very incorrect. Every one of those rooms in the movie B52, 54 and B56 are each decorated in the wrong style.

If anyone can send/provide pictures I would be most appreciative.

Regards,

Daniel.

Daniel, plan to take a trip to Orlando and look at the recreated rooms in person. Jack Cardoza, who worked on the Cameron film, arranged to provide the Titanic-Ship of Dreams Museum with many of the sets, props, etc. I have been there twice and it is an incredible experience. I would love to work there as one of the actor/tour guides. Among the areas recreated that are most like the real thing are the Grand Staircase, the Cargo hold, the First and Third Class Hallways, and Ismay's Millionaire's Suite. There is also a room similar to the Cafe Verandah/Parisien, furnished with some of the props and furniture, but it is set up more to display some of Denis Cochrane's incredible collection.
As for the tiles, gentlemen, I bring your attention to the fact that Titanic was one of the first (if not the first) to feature a new invention, a product called "linoleum tile". It was used throughout the ship, and I would guess also in the smoking room as smoke gets into the carpet and causes a terrible smell that would offend the upper class guests who used it. Just a thought, nothing to back it up.

In the post-script to ANTR by Lord isn't baker Burgess, describing the smoking room carpet on the Titanic, quoted as saying something along the lines of:

:....you could sink in it up to your knees..."

I havent got the book to hand but I'm sure he was describing the smoking room.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Sam

To Sam

That quote refers to the first-class dining saloon. The quote is also published in Walter Lord's famous book "A Night To Remember".

Regards Nigel

Thank you Kyrila for the post.

Looks like they don't have a great deal of rooms recreated, but still sounds that what they have must be wonderful. As I didn't get a direct answer, I'm guessing the Ismay suite looks as it did in the movie.

I was also wondering were the "Big Piece" cabins recreated as well? I think I heard this somewhere, but am not too sure if it is true. Maybe the person I heard it from was only referring to the Ismay cabins that were recreated.

Regards,

Daniel.

Yes, it's 'way cool! The only cabin recreated was actually the very props for the room occupied by "Cal" and "Rose", which in reality was B-52, or Ismay's cabin (the Millionaires' Suite he took over when J.P. Morgan didn't show up.) Tell me if I'm wrong, but did Mrs. Cardoza occupy the other Millionaires' suite?

Hello Kyrila,

We finally talk on the message board! I do belive, but am not for certain, that the Cardozas did occupy the other millionare's suite. I am refrencing this from memory at Discovery.com, where one of the underwater shots was of a suite and I believe it said it was occupied by the Cardozas, although I think it said Card"e"zas. All the occupants survived. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

-B.W.

Status
Not open for further replies.