Titanic exhibit arrives in Hartford CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2001
https://www.hartfordciviccenter.com

THE WORLD’S MOST FAMOUS SHIP TO DOCK IN HARTFORD
“Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition” on View at the
XL Center April 12th for a limited engagement

(Hartford- CT) On April 10, 1912, the world’s largest ship, the Titanic, embarked on her maiden voyage leaving Southampton, England. The ship’s passengers included titans of commerce and industry, artists and movie stars, senior members of governments, immigrants dreaming of a new life, mothers, fathers, sons and daughters.

Now 96 years after that historic sailing, the XL Center announced that Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition will make its long awaited, limited engagement in Hartford. The Exhibition opens to the public on April 12th.

Edited for copyright by MHS. For the rest of the story, see https://www.hartfordciviccenter.com/page.cfm?cid=805

Jul 11, 2001
I went to this exhibit this morning.

I didn't see too much new. Although they did have a length of recreated firstclass hallway built. That was pretty well done.

What irks me is they have a wall hanging of the Titanics deckplan on display. Which is of the Olympics, not the Titanics. ARG. I noticed this same error at the Boston display many years ago.

Dec 17, 1996
Hello.

I am planning on visiting the Exhibition the end of this month while I visit the North East. From my understanding this is the artifacts correct? I know that may sound dumb, but I just wanted to ask to get any input form those who had visited this one in Hartford- Like if the "big piece" was there, or shell doors, or this and that, etc.

Last time I saw the exhibit was ten years ago in Boston, and I hope this as, if not better, good than last time. Thank you for any information.

Sincerely,
Matthew DeWinkeleer

Aug 29, 2000
I am planning to go too. Here is a link http://www.hartfordciviccenter.com/eventpopup.cfm?eid=1220
"The galleries in this fascinating Exhibition feature over 250 real artifacts recovered from the ocean floor along with room re-creations and personal histories; each highlighting a different chapter in the compelling story of Titanic’s maiden voyage.
Board Titanic using a replica ticket from White Star Line; see a First Class Stateroom, touch an iceberg and learn about artifact recovery and conservation." This is featured on promotional mailings.

Dec 20, 2000
Visited "Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition" in Hartford last Sunday, an early birthday gift from one of my aunts. A few parts were fascinating (the lifeboat davit, in particular, brought out the strongest emotional reaction from me), and I appreciated the low-key atmosphere of the exhibit, but on the whole, I was a little disappointed. Perhaps I shouldn't be too upset (hey, I got to see actual artifacts from the Titanic!), but I was honestly expecting more. Not much really jumped out at me, and I felt that the $22 entrance price is a little too high. The actual exhibits were well laid-out, I enjoyed studying the individual artifacts, and it was a perfect opportunity to rediscover my fascination...but I left somewhat dissatisfied. At least I snagged a nice reproduction of the H&W rigging profile.

Hate to be the killjoy, but it's just how I feel.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Hate to be the killjoy, but it's just how I feel.<<

Perhaps you expect more because on the whole, you know more about the ship. It's a bit of a letdown to go to some exhibit where the Titanic is the centre of attention only to find it wasn't done as well as it could have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.