Titanic exhibit in Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Martha Fasoulas

Dear all,

Would anyone be aware of any plans to bring the titanic exhibits to Australia? I realise that costs would be the major or even the only factor in bringing it over.

I eagerly read the posts from many of you describing the artifacts and your feelings on the experience and hope that one day I too may share some of my own stories.

Basically we get nothing down ere' mate!

Many thanks!
Martha
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo Martha -

I haven't heard of anything in the works back home, but Fiona, Dave Gittens, Daniel K and a few others are also Aussies, and they keep their ears to the ground - hopefully they'll be able to keep you appraised of anything coming up.

There was a fairly major touring exhibition in Australia and New Zealand a few years back, featuring artifacts connected with the WSL and primarily the Olympic class ships. There were many items of major significance included in the exhibition - the Lowe family loaned some of Harold Lowe's personal items, including the presentation gifts from Rene Harris, and there were many other objects directly connected with the disaster such as the number from a Titanic lifeboat, a watch retrieved from the body of one of the victims, letters, photographs etc. Although inadequately captioned at the time I saw it, there was quite a rich diversity of material - some of it perhaps a bit dodgy ('Heart of the Sea', eh?), some of it rather peripheral (movie costumes), and some of it absolute gold.

All the best,

Inger

M

Martha Fasoulas

Inger you are wonderful, thank you for restoring my hope...

The WSL exhibition you mention seemed very interesting. I don't think it could quite compare to seeing the Titanic's artifacts in person (then again I can't answer on that yet).

As you mentioned, the exhibit featured artifacts from Olympic. Were these artifacts from the time that the ship was sold off and broken up in 1937? Please correct me if I am wrong, yet I have read that the Olympic's artifacts would have been in a lot of cases, replicas of the Titanic's features. In Cameron's Ghosts of The Abyss, they also managed to find that unlike originally thought, they found many differences with the fittings of both ships. Then again, that's another thread altogether! Either way there were many identical/similar features which would be a marvel to see

Thanks Inger for your support and I look forward to hearing news of Titanic's arrival in Ozland soon..one day...someday?!
happy.gif

Many thanks
Martha

ps. I am still currently lobbying our city IMAX to push ahead the proposed Sept release of GOTA. Very sad huh!

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
G'day again Martha -

I can't recall the provenance of many of the items - perhaps someone else here who attended can provide more detail - but you'd be correct that many of them came from the time she was broken up. Some might be earlier - don't recall if much dating was given. There were bits and bobs like a promenade window, and I remember one of the dining room chairs (have a photograph of it somewhere). I also have a clear recollection of the ship's wheel of Britannic (I). Tiles seem to come to mind as well...

I was very frustrated to see a photograph album from the Oceanic with superb photos that had no caption and no indication who had compiled it, although Lightoller featured in the photos. Would love to know its provenance.

Good luck with the GOTA release - is this for the Darling Harbour Imax? Might be worth pulling together a few Sydneysiders like Daniel K and Andrew Rogers for a viewing.

All the best,

Inger

M

Martha Fasoulas

Hello Inger!

Thanks for all the info
happy.gif

It's a shame they didn't catalogue the exhibit properly. Seems the Co-ordinators of the event seemed to have forgotten the purpose of a history exhibit!

Yes it is the IMAX at Darling Harbour and another in Melb which plan to screen GOTA. When it does open, it would be nice to see it with a group who would appreciate it as much as I. It has apparently surpassed everyone's expectations. Can't wait!

Take care
Martha
happy.gif

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Martha, I recall the exhibition fairly well. It included a great deal of glassware from Olympic, which was for sale at fairly steep prices. There were plates that are said to have been taken off Titanic before she left Southampton. (I won't get into the argument over them). There was the number off boat 8, that Seaman Jones inlaid into a piece of wood and gave to the Countess of Rothes. There were documents from the Lord Mayor's fund for the victims. Overall it was quite a good show, considering it was put together without any of the artifacts recovered from the wreck. Everything there from Titanic was taken from survivors or found floating in the sea.

I think most of the material was returned to England. The last I heard of the necklace, called Amour de la Mer, it was touring the USA in an exhibition of jewellery.

Many of the minor souvenirs of the exhibition are still for sale in Adelaide. They include many photos and prints of paintings. Many are signed by survivors, mostly by Milvina Dean. Some are fairly inexpensive compared with the crazy prices you'll see on Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.