Titanic Exhibit in St Paul ...

Peyton

Dec 14, 2010
I was remembering the Titanic Exhibit in St Paul, I believe it was 1997? I was living there for a brief time. The streets were filled with people waiting to hear the Titanic Whistle blow.
It was suppose to be the only time it would ever be heard since bringing it up and they would then retire it for ever. All was quite and suddenly it rang out a long blow. It was amazing!
You could hear it's haunting lonely sound all over the City and beyond. Everyone stood in silence for about a minute and then gave out a cheer.
It was a great experience....

B

Bob_Read

Hi Peyton: Unfortunately the sound of Titanic’s whistle in St. Paul wasn’t its true sound. They sounded it with compressed air instead of steam and at a significantly reduced pressure so as not to damage the whistle. Fortunately we do have a good sound recording of the whistles of Titanic’s sister Olympic. The sound would have been identical. Go to the 1:00 minute mark of this video from 1934 as Olympic enters New York harbor:

Last edited by a moderator:

Peyton

Dec 14, 2010
I really didn't care what it sounded like and if it was exactly the same or not, It was the idea of it being there and working at all. The experience....that's all.
Were you there too?