Titanic Exhibit in Stockholm Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek Jackson

Mar 23, 2009
Hi everyone,

I was recently at the new Titanic exhibit in Stockholm, Sweden and thought I'd post my thoughts on it in case anyone else is interested.

The exhibit is located right next to the Vasa museum and you can buy a combination ticket for 200 kr which is well worth it just for the Vasa alone. In fact, the Vasa itself was the highlight of my time in Stockholm and it was just amazing to see a ship that sank in 1628 raised to the surface and preserved so well.

The Titanic exhibit is fairly modest sized - it's a two story location and it's all done by an audio tour where you wear the headphones and key in the number of the piece you are standing in front of. The exhibit focuses mostly on the Swedish passengers who were on board but also includes some other interesting things as well.

Some of the collection on display includes: a scale model of the ship lit from the inside (parts in cutaway), letters written by Murdoch on April 11, Murdoch's personal telescope, an original first class passenger list book, a piece of the first class lounge (wood recovered from the wreck site), personal effects found on the bodies that were recovered, the Lillian Asplund collection (found after she died in 2006) and a deck bench that was recovered from the wreck site. There was lots of other artifacts as well, this is not a comprehensive list.

I think the exhibit does a good job at displaying many priceless fragments of the ship that still exists as well as paying tribute to the people who lost their lives and their stories. Of course there were some flaws as well such as minor historical mistakes and the constant overwhelming usage of the Titanic (1997) soundtrack throughout the ENTIRE audio tour... but otherwise a good visit!

Status
Not open for further replies.