Titanic Exhibit On The Queen Mary

Jan 2, 2006
Is this exhibit worth seeing? I went to one on the QM a few years ago. Is this still the same exhibit? How long has this one been open?

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
Hi Tammy--

It's not the same exhibit; this one just arrived in December. I haven't been to see it, but two other artifact exhibits I've seen have both been quite good.

--Jim

Sep 26, 2009
Tammy: If you are close to the Queen Mary to see the exhibit, then you will also see the fantastically detailed liner models of the Titanic, Lusitania and Normandie models constructed by Father Roberto Pirrone. They are all to the same scale and have the interiors in them. Father Pirrone said his Titanic model is located just before you enter the Titanic exhibit. Robert H. Gibbons

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I agree with you there John. The highlight for me at this exhibit were these models. The one of the Normandie is especially impressive with the public rooms in detail. This Titanic exhibit was good, but seemed small. I had actually wanted to see the "big piece" which wasn't there. I believe that it is in Las Vegas. Does anyone know for sure where it is?

John Melish

May 17, 2004
Hello Joe,

As far as the QM Titanic Exhibit, I enjoyed it, especially the corked beer and champagne bottles, which I would assume to be some of the most valuable bottles in the world. Also, the stewards jacket with the persons name written in ink and still visible and legible on the label gave me chills (I wish I could remember the name). But I have to say the one I saw in Seattle with the Big Piece in 2001 was better.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello John,

quote:

Also, the stewards jacket with the persons name written in ink and still visible and legible on the label gave me chills (I wish I could remember the name).

The steward's jacket belonged to Athol Frederick Broome. It was displayed at an RMS Titanic exhibition that was here in Toronto from September 1999 - Feburary 2000, which I worked at.

I agree, seeing his name also gave me the chills the first time I saw it. It is very eerie.​

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
You're welcome, John.

I was one of the resident historians at the exhibition. (Tarn Stephanons who is a member here, was the other historian and we worked together.) I answered people's questions (including questions from fellow staff members), I gave tours to students and seniors groups; I windexed the glass cases that held the artifacts, collected tickets from people and I occasionally would introduce a short film for people (if someone wasn't already doing it), before they entered the exhibit.

We had over 200 artifacts and to be able to work there was a dream come true for me, and I'll never forget it. The only downside of it though was, it was not marketed enough for the public. We still got large crowds, but not the kind of crowds that was expected. Other than that, it was great.