Titanic Exhibition in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liz Cook

May 1, 2007
"Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition" is going to be at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science from June 22, 2007—January 6, 2008.
Info about tickets, hours and related programs and lectures is here: http://www.dmns.org/main/en/General/Exhibitions/UpcomingExhibitions/titanic.htm

The Museum is also looking for 400 people to deliver exceptional service as greeters and content-related interpreters during the Titanic exhibition. More information is here: http://www.dmns.org/main/en/General/AboutTheMuseum/News/Story/titanicVolunteers.htm

If any ET folks are interested, we'd love to have you join us!

-Liz Cook
Educator, Denver Museum of Nature & Science

May 1, 2007
Anyone here planning to go to this? I saw the Exhibition in Chicago in the late nineties and was pretty impressed with it. On a side note, has anyone here been to the Molly Brown house? I'm just curious whether it's worth seeing for a "novice" Titanic buff like myself.

T

Timothy Trower

I've been to the House of Lions -- a longtime objective of mine -- just two years ago in the summer. One of the first things the "novice" will learn is that "Molly Brown" was a theatrical invention of the late 1950s, and that Margaret Tobin Brown was indeed a woman of note -- you will not regret going to see her Denver home.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Yes, Tim is quite right. If you go expecting to see the palatial structure that is depicted in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown", (as I stupidly did) you will be disappointed. If you go intent on learning who Margaret Tobin Brown really was, then you're in for a real treat. I found the real thing to be far more interesting, and well worth a trip. Restoration continues to this day with volunteers doing painstaking research restoring the house to its former glory circa 1910. I thought it was neat that there are several original pieces of furniture originally owned by Mrs. Brown on display. Oh, and by the way, the front parlor is indeed a shade of red ;-)

May 1, 2007
I visited the Titanic Exhibition and Molly Brown house on my visit to Denver last week. The exhibit was more or less as I remembered it from 2000 in Chicago, though I didn't recall seeing the reproductions of staterooms on that tour. It was still a thrill to see the artifacts again (particularly the D deck section of the Big Piece and the personal effects) and see some things I may have overlooked before, though I'm looking forward to someday seeing other collections.

The Brown house was well worth the visit. The house itself was fascinating to see, though I was a bit disappointed to see that the carriage house had been converted into a gift shop (which sold, among other things, Molly Brown bottled water at $2 a pop!). I was also very impressed with the tour guide, who was very knowledgeable and seemed to know Margaret Brown from Molly Brown.

Taylor Marino

Feb 3, 2007
I work at the Molly Brown House Museum and think that everyone that has a chance should go. It goes into great depth about her life. By the way David what was the tour guides name and did she have a page with her?

The artifact exhibition was to romanticised for me. titanic is a disaster not a love story, but i did think tha they did a good job n creating the last room.

Thanks,
Taylor Marino

May 1, 2007
Sorry for the slow response, Taylor. I don't recall the tour guide's name, and as I recall, she did not have a page with her.

I agree that parts of the Titanic Exhibition are maybe a bit too hyped up and the tour guides can be hit or miss, but overall I think it's definitely worth checking out for anyone who hasn't seen it.

-David

May 12, 2009
Ugh.... You guys just opened some seriously horrific wounds. I worked at the Denver Museum during the exhibit and it was the most painful experience of my life. I was bullied, intimidated and practically pushed out of there like a pimple... I don't know what's wrong with the people who work there.

May 12, 2009
Don't know why I'm even posting this here, but I really feel like sharing this with other rivet counters out there.

I got a job at the Museum when they opened to the Titanic Exhibit, and perhaps I got a tad too overzealous with my enthusiasm for the event... But what I went through was way out of line. I was intimidated, bullied and pushed around by the stuff, which was practically encouraged by the managers... I didn't even know what I was doing wrong, I just got yelled at "in advance." They even accused me of making up the facts I knew about Titanic and crew & passengers, which was a serious insult to me.

Finally, they go rid of me on a technicality, apparently I wasn't supposed to warn people that the 1996 mini-series, which was offered for sale at the gift shop, had rape scene, or some crud like that.

Well... Thanks for hearing me out. It was a very traumatic experience and even though it's been nearly two years, I still find it hard to move on. My entire "work karma" has been out of whack ever since...

Status
Not open for further replies.