Titanic Exhibition in Philadelphia PA USA

Deborah Kogan

Jan 29, 2003
From July 10, 2004 to January 2, 2005 there will be a Titanic Exhibition in Philadelphia, PA. I am thrilled to have one here in Philly so that I don't have to travel far; last year I schlepped all the way to the Science Museum in London. It will be at the Franklin Institute on the Parkway, in the downtown area. The Franklin Institute is very much like the Science Museum in London, and has an IMAX theater.
While you folks come to Philly to see the exhibit, take the 57 bus on 4th Street going south and get off at Snyder Avenue in South Philadelphia, walk four blocks east to Delaware Avenue on the Delaware River, and get a view of the S. S. UNITED STATES, sitting there in all her peeling glory. Boy oh boy, I am so happy. Come to Philly now!

Deborah Kogan

Jan 29, 2003
I would like to add that it is being produced by R.M.S. Titanic, that the Franklin Institute is at 20th St. and the Parkway, and the film at the IMAX is Titanica.

Karen Fink

May 14, 2004
I actually work at The Franklin Institute, and can say that we are very excited about having the exhibit here. It is all the buzz at the Institute and the folks from RMS Titanic have been incredible to work with. If anyone would like further information about the exhibit, please feel free to contact me at [email protected], or go to our web site at www.fi.edu.

Sean Hankins

May 15, 2004
Hi Deborah and Karen, I work at the Museum Of Science and Industry in Tampa FL. You guys are getting the exibit that we just had minus the "Big Piece" I believe. (Last I heard it was going back into conservation). The people from RMST, Mark Lach in particular was such an awesome person to talk to if you get the chance to meet him. He's as much into Titanic and her story as the best of us. Enjoy your time with the exhibit to the fullest because its SO incredibly depressing when it leaves. Working the exhibit was definitely the highlight of all my years studying Titanic and her sisters. Just seeing things you've only read about or seen pictures of. It definitely gets to you.

Karen Fink

May 14, 2004
Sean,

I have met and have had a few conversations with Mark Lach and he is really very knowledgeable and passionate about the Titanic. I am thrilled to see the exhibit. Our technicians are installing it as we speak, or, well, write!

I saw the exhibit in a much smaller format when it was in Atlantic City.

By the way Sean, some of the staff from The Franklin Institute went to your museum not long ago to see the exhibit. They said your staff was very helpful and pleasant to work with, so thank you for your hospitality.

Karen

Deborah Kogan

Jan 29, 2003
I was at the Exhibition on Saturday, and it was wonderful. I have been at two earlier Exhibits- in Atlantic City in the late '90s and last year in London. There were some things the same, such as the binoculars (I wish that someone had shared), the ice with starry backdrop (so that people can put their hands on it to feel what the water felt like), first, second and third class cabin reproductions (and a first class hallway); there were new artifacts, such as a marble topped first class sink. The absolute best display was a reproduction of the Grand Staircase; real, carved oak with the glass dome. There was a small model of the wreck, but there was no sign mentioning who made it (anyone know?). Same as the London Exhibit, there were cards handed out to each visitor with a name and biographical information; you could look up your passenger and find out if they survived on a wall commemorating all passengers and crew. There were pictures, with information, about various passengers (and crew) all through the Exhibit. There was mention of the relationship between Philadelphia and the Titanic, as well. All this brought the disaster to a personal level for many visitors, and I feel that this Exhibit is doing just what it is meant to do- to keep alive the memory of the ship, her passengers and crew.

C

Christina Rindt

"you guys are getting the exhibit that we just had minus the 'Big Piece'...."

There's another exhibition here in the UK in Manchester Science Museum that is including the 'Big Piece'. The exhibition is running the same time as the PA one June 2004 to January 2005. I have never seen any of the exhibitions so am looking forward to seeing this one just to see the 'Big Piece'.

If you want some info about it you can get the [email protected] or www.manchesterimax.co.uk

Karen Fink

May 14, 2004
The exhibit has been very well-received by visitors here in Philadelphia. I think what makes it truly special is the personal connection people get by having a boarding pass of an actual passenger and by being able to see personal items from people on the ship. The only thing that made me a bit sad was I was up in the exhibit where the grand staircase is and a young boy came in and said, "Cool, they made the ship look like the movie!" and I thought to myself, "No, they made the movie look like the ship." It was then that I realized that some young people don't even realize that the Titanic was a real ship, with real people and a real story, not just a Hollywood movie. I hope this exhibit brings it all into real life for them.

May 20, 2004
I recently saw the Titanic exhibition at the Franklin Institute, Phila, PA. They built a full scale model of the grand staircase. It was magnificent. They also have replicas of a first class stateroom and third class lodging. This was much better than the exhibit I saw three years ago.

Feb 14, 2011
I hope Philidelphia enjoys the Titanic exhibit!
Mark Lach's a great guy,I worked with him when I was with SFX at the past exhibits.
If you can work or volunteer at an exhibit, do it, youll make memories youll never forget.

Regards

tarn Stephanos

Deborah Kogan

Jan 29, 2003
I just visited the Philadelphia exhibit for the second time, and loved it. I saw one item I hadn't noticed before. There is a plexiglass box with a bit of hull, and the box has a small hole cut in it so that you can touch the artifact... I was even more impressed by the Grand Staircase this time. Thank you to all the folks at RMS Titanic and the Franklin Institute for providing this Exhibit; I am able to experience first hand what can only be seen in books... I know that some people feel that artifacts should never have been brought up, but I think that helping millions of people remember the ship and her people is a great contribution... I would like to mention that the Exhibit will be held over for several weeks into January.

Feb 24, 2004
Im FINALLY going to see it next week after Christmas- Can't wait to actually see the artifacts etc there- Never been to one of these before!

Karen Fink

May 14, 2004
Just to let everyone know, the Titanic Exhibit has been held over at The Franklin Institute until January 23rd. If you're coming to see it, may I offer a few tips since I work at the Museum. It gets VERY crowded here, so coming early in the day or late in the day is best. The Museum opens at 9:30, and people frequently get here as early as 8:00 to ensure a parking spot in our garage and get their tickets. Ordering tickets online is really the best way to go, it will save you lots of time standing in line.

The exhibit is fabulous, so if you haven't seen it yet, make it a point to come and visit. And enjoy the rest of the Museum while you're here too.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Susan Alby

Oct 22, 2004
Hi Karen,
I live in Northern VA, and have never been to Philadelphia, this gives me the perfect excuse to go see the Titanic exhibit. How much do the tickets/parking cost?

Thanks, Happy Holidays to you too!

Karen Fink

May 14, 2004
Susan,

I hope you'll come to Philadelphia. Admission to the Museum and Titanic Exhibit is $22.75, that includes the Titanic Exhibit, admission to the Museum (it's huge and fabulous) and also a live show in our Planetarium. Parking is $8.00 with Museum validation. There is a ton of things to do in the general vicinity of the Museum too. Please let me know if you have any other questions about coming to visit.

Robert Head

Oct 24, 2004
San Francisco
Hi Karen - Thanks for the visitors information and tips. I'll be visiting friends in Philadelphia next week and am planning to see the exhibit on Tuesday. We're looking forward to it!

R

Rachel Walker

I just saw the Titanic exhibit at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. It's amazing. They have a beautiful recreation of the Grand Staircase, as well as 3rd and 1st class rooms. There are tons of artifacts and a lifeboat used in James Cameron's Titanic. They also have a miniature iceberg that you can touch to get a feel for how cold it really was that night. The IMAX movie was amazing and very exciting. If you live anywhere near Pennsylvania, I recommend you check it out. It's worth the trip. The exhibit is going to stay there until January 23rd.