Titanic Fading Into Oblivion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 1999
I posted the news about the soon-to-be Mr. and Mrs. Hello-We-Are-Insipid being married "down there" over in the Off-Topic section of the Ioan Gruffudd Forum,and a regular over there named Tracey posted an interesting question. Here are some of her words below:

"How do you think the disintegration of the ship will affect interest in the Titanic? The dive crews say it won't last much longer, it's deteriorating so rapidly. Interest in the ship and what happened that night stayed high for a long time because there were so many unanswered questions about the sinking. When the wreckage was discovered, interest peaked. Once it is gone, will interest wane?"

Now, opinions on how fast the ship is really detoriating vary, but it's a good question. When the old girl DOES finally turn to dust, will the years take away the incredible interest in the Titanic?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hard to say really. Some things have a romantic appeal that just won't quit. The story of Antony and Cleopatra for example, has endured 2000 years after this ill fated couple has turned to dust.

Will the Titanic's story hold up as well? I hope so, but the short memories of people in regards history these days doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Cordially,
Michael H.Standart

Jan 2, 1997
In a way, I rather hope the old girl does go - I am appalled that she's being turned into some sort of grim seabed theme park. With developments in deep sea diving, it is possible that a trip around the lighthouse could be replaced by a dive around the bow ! I don't mind archeological and scientific dives, but really, people using her decks as a wedding chapel smacks of sacrilege. She is primarily now a grave for her dead - those who have no other. Would these people consider getting married on the deck of the Kursk ?
I don't think interest would wane with her disappearance - after all, people are drawn to the story and the drama, and those of us interested to the point of insanity don't need to see her !

J

Joanne Seiferlein

Dear Susan,
Sadly,I wouldn't put it past people such as this couple to want to get married on the deck of the KURSK.
I don't think that TITANIC's appeal will fade once she has gone to dust-- her story as well as the stories ofthose who sailed aboard her will continue to fascinate people well into the future

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
No, I don't think the disintegration of the wreck will much affect interest in the Titanic. After all, people were greatly interested in it before the wreck was found in 1985, so I imagine that interest will continue.

Charmaine Sia

Nov 25, 2001
It's really hard to tell. There have been so many events in history that have turned out in so many different ways that you can't guess which path Titanic will take.

However, I personally believe that the disintegration of the ship will not cause its legacy to fade. What really causes the ship to appeal to us is its sad story - at least I hope that is the case, and not interest in what the ship holds on board that is now disintegrating! It is the legacy which I hope will stay for years and years to come, like Antony and Cleopatra, so that we can learn from the mistakes of the past.

Regards,
Charmaine

May 9, 2000
So many books, so many films, so many open questions - the interest in the Titanic will never die. There will come other peaks: another thrilling films...the date 2012 ("one hundred years" and a little peak next year)...the souvenir market that will be opened for salavaged things some day...

Regards Henning

A

Addison Hart

I wouldn't bet on anything, actually. I hope that the Titanic's interest will survive even after the old girl has been reduced to a mound of dust, and it is my opinion that it shall. Of course, one can never be certain, with the new generation that seems to have already forgotten the disaster (such fellows as myself not included of course!)because the movie is already nearly 5 years old! At least I hope that it just the state of things in Illinois, but it seems as if Titanic-mania has become fairly subdued, for the time. And yet, when I went to Chicago last year to see the Titanic exhibition there were a fairly good number of people (although when I saw the same exhibition 6 months later in MD there was a much smaller group). One never can be to sure with this craaaazy world these days!

Addison Hart

Status
Not open for further replies.