Titanic Featured in new film - Holmes & Watson Trailer

A

Aaron_2016

On a related note. Towards the end of the film Dr. Watson is captured and tied up in the engine room of the Titanic. I recognised the familiar background. It was the Kempton park waterworks museum in England.

kempton.png

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
On a related note. Towards the end of the film Dr. Watson is captured and tied up in the engine room of the Titanic. I recognised the familiar background. It was the Kempton park waterworks museum in England.

View attachment 43103

At the very least, the film gave Kempton Park more limelight and money to continue to preserve it for the future.

Also don't let this slightly negative (but comedic) thread discourage us from celebrating 2019! Happy New Year everyone! :)

Reactions: Kyle Naber

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
But I wonder what Ismay, Andrews and Smith would have thought of it...
I've done a bit more research and reliable information was hard to come by. As you can imagine, Ismay was reluctant to talk about it and Andrews and Smith sadly lost their lives.

Ismay apparently was heard by two first class passengers discussing the film. He showed them a review from the newspaper that the Captain gave him before tucking it into his pocket.

There is a report that Mr Andrews told the Captain he walked out after an hour, maybe an hour and a half.

Finally, piecing together discussion of the film by QM Hitchins and the 4th Officer I found this from Smith:

The Captain rushed out of his chart room and spoke to the first officer.
"What the hell have I just watched Mr Murdoch?"
"A rubbish film sir? I tried to get a round of Port in but the bar was closed"
"I want to hear the sound of the Carpenters around the ship"

Clearly the Captain was distressed by what he saw that Murdoch thought a stiff nip of Port was advisable. The Captain, looking to relax wanted to hear the music of the Carpenters piped around the ship.

The accuracy of this account may be questionable but it is based on witness testimony.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
You done it again Rob! I'm crying... :confused:

"Passengers later gave conflicting reports of what songs by the Carpenters, the band played as she went down To this day, survivors and historians argue over which songs were played that fateful night..." :D

Last edited:

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
Most passengers suggest it was "Calling occupants of interplanetary craft" that was the last song played although I've reason to believe it may have been "Breaking up is hard to do".

Reactions: Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I believe a number of Titanic passengers had explored the pyramids of Egypt before they sailed on the Titanic.
Off topic, but Aaron the other day I found a quote in "Titanic In Photographs" (Page 92) where a reporter from the Irish Times newspaper stated in the Gymnasium that:

"On one side, a lady was having a camel ride* and recalling the delights of the pyramids-"

*She apparently mistook the Electric Horse for a camel.

Reactions: 2 people

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017

View attachment 43103

Ah yes, those beautiful engines have stood in for the Titanic's in many a documentary. I'm hoping to come visit the UK this year and the Kempton museum will be high up the list of places to visit.

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
Saw the movie yesterday. It was awful and a number of people got up and left. The film is set in the 1880's and we see the Titanic docked in London. Queen Victoria is aboard the ship and the famous detective duo have to stop a bomb from exploding. We are shown several 'what if' scenarios which show the bomb exploding, but the Queen is saved by Dr. Watson who throws the bomb out of the window and saves the Queen. Such a terrible film. The only good thing about the Titanic scene is that we see a cameo appearance of Titanic actor Billy Zane. He boards the Titanic and jokingly says "Where is my bathroom in this canoe?" I would give the film a 2/10. Not even worth getting on DVD. I would wait for the Titanic scene to appear on youtube next year.

What city did you see this movie in where people left during it, Aaron_2016? I wonder if it would have the same reaction in the town where I live, Apple Valley, Minnesota. It probably would, according to this quote from its Wikipedia article:

"Numerous sources reported that audiences walked out early during screenings, and The Verge noted that the film's critical and commercial failure illustrates a shift within the industry away from broad comedy films starring A-list actors."

Last edited:
A

Aaron_2016

Belfast, Northern Ireland. The people left before they saw the Titanic scene. Not sure how they would have reacted to it. They were quite elderly and I think they were expecting a proper drama story with some light-hearted comedy thrown in like the film 'Without a Clue' starring Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley. But Holmes and Watson just felt like a long Saturday night live sketch with little effort put into the storyline. I watched three films that same day (Mary Poppins Returns - Holmes and Watson - Aquaman) and I had to stay seated as there was another film coming on after. The film was ok for TV viewing. Just not worth the high admission price at my cinema. Perhaps it depends on individual tastes? e.g. I know people that would find it entertaining, but many who would not. Different tastes.

S

SmileyGirl

Saw the movie yesterday. It was awful and a number of people got up and left. The film is set in the 1880's and we see the Titanic docked in London. Queen Victoria is aboard the ship and the famous detective duo have to stop a bomb from exploding. We are shown several 'what if' scenarios which show the bomb exploding, but the Queen is saved by Dr. Watson who throws the bomb out of the window and saves the Queen. Such a terrible film. The only good thing about the Titanic scene is that we see a cameo appearance of Titanic actor Billy Zane. He boards the Titanic and jokingly says "Where is my bathroom in this canoe?" I would give the film a 2/10. Not even worth getting on DVD. I would wait for the Titanic scene to appear on youtube next year.

I was looking forward to this film as I love anything Sherlock related (did not know Titanic was in it) but I read it had bad reviews so have not bothered. I had a book years ago actually with Sherlock Holmes having to solve a mystery aboard Titanic. Can’t remember what the mystery was about now!

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Here is the preview trailer for a new comedy film called 'Holmes and Watson' which appears to show a bomb exploding on the Titanic.

Is there any truth in the claim that when this movie was shown on Syrian TV, ISIL claimed responsibility? :confused:

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
The Titanic serves as the climax or final twist for the film, as it's the setting where Queen Victoria's assassination is to take place by a bomb exploding on board.

After Holmes & Watson stop the bomb, the Titanic sets out on her ill-fated maiden voyage.