TITANIC fortune & fame

C

Christine Fincanon

Hello Encyclopedia Titanica!
I have to admit that I'm pretty excited to be writing in for the first time! I found the discussion board about a week ago and have been hooked! Okay, here's my question. I recently purchased a book titled, "TITANIC fortune & fame". At the back of the book is a list of all the crew members. On page 173 you find two crew members listed as E Allen. One is stated to have the occupation of Trimmer, the other is stated to have to occupation of Scullion. I think the second E. Allen is a misprint & is supposed to be listed as G. Allen (George). Does anyone else have a copy of this book and have you come to the same conclusion. Thanks for your help!

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Welcome on board, Christine!

According to the Encyclopedia Titanica crew list, transcribed from the hand-written original, the trimmer was Ernest Allen and the scullion was George Allen. I'll back this against the book any day.

C

Christine Fincanon

Thanks for the welcome, Dave....and for the response to my question. I'm fascinated by the crew members on the Titanic.....and frustrated because I can never seem to find out enough information on them. The books that I've read all seem to focus on the passengers.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I share your concern, Christine. Many of the crew, whether casualties or survivors, are submerged in a sea of anonymity. One book which provides equal coverage with the passengers, however, is The Irish aboard Titanic by Senan Molony - highly recommended. I live in hope that someone out there is even now working hard on The English aboard Titanic to cover most of the rest!

J Burdette

Dec 30, 2011
Christine, while that is a nice book beware of the inaccuracies. In passing I noticed a photo of Frederick Fleet was miscaptioned and that John George "Jack" Phillips was listed as Jack T. Phillips.